First time KF Elite Gold member and going on a UA spree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time KF Elite Gold member and going on a UA spree

Hi guys, i'm a fresher to KF elite gold and just moved to the US. Have quite a lot of trips coming up cross-country and taking only UA. Would like to ask if UA provides op-ups for KF gold members? I've heard tt those on mileage plus get op-up quite easily. Do I need to request for it at check-in?

How are the UA lounges for domestic flight generally? I'll be flying out of EWR, ORD and LAX quite often. Also going to be flying out of HNL and MIA this year. Any of you would like to share recent experiences esp after UA's merger with Continental?

I have a 2.5h transit in LAX in December when flying between SBA and HNL. Is it possible to visit the Star Alliance lounge at Tom Bradley even though I'm flying domestically? I wonder if its like SIN where you can easily travel between terminals.

On a side-note, I have a 38min transit between 2 UA flights: HNL-EWR-MIA. Will there be problems here?

Lastly, will UA extend the same privileges like checking in at Biz class counters, priority tages for check-in luggages and priority boarding even when travelling on economy class?

I'm sorry I'm asking so many varied qns. Pls let me know if I shld have posted them separately under different sections.

Thanks for the tips and advice!

Mileage Plus provides free domestic upgrades, which is sadly not available to other *A elite members. These upgrades are processed like 24 - 72 hours before the flight, depending on their elite status, thus the premium classes are usually full at check in.

UA lounges are simply quiet places for you to have a glass of juice, and comfortable seats with power supply for your laptop, nothing more.

LAX does not have all its terminals connected airside.

I believe there are *G check in counters which might / might not be the same as biz class ones. Yes, priority boarding and tags would be given.

Comment

Originally posted by gumption View Post
      Hi guys, i'm a fresher to KF elite gold and just moved to the US. Have quite a lot of trips coming up cross-country and taking only UA. Would like to ask if UA provides op-ups for KF gold members? I've heard tt those on mileage plus get op-up quite easily. Do I need to request for it at check-in?
      I'll never say never, but in my last 7 years flying CO/UA I've never been give a free op-up. Their Platinum customers get first bite.

How are the UA lounges for domestic flight generally? I'll be flying out of EWR, ORD and LAX quite often. Also going to be flying out of HNL and MIA this year. Any of you would like to share recent experiences esp after UA's merger with Continental?
      Some free drinks, snitzels, and a comfy chair is all one can expect. Tend to be small and crowded.

Lastly, will UA extend the same privileges like checking in at Biz class counters, priority tages for check-in luggages and priority boarding even when travelling on economy class?
      Yup, no issues here. But no expedited queues through security.

If you're going to be based in the US, you should consider accumulating miles on the local FF programs. They tend to be more generous and when you're Platinum, they also provide upgrade certs that can also be used on international segments.

Comment

Hi guys, i'm a fresher to KF elite gold and just moved to the US. Have quite a lot of trips coming up cross-country and taking only UA.
        One nice benefit to the merger has been the food quality. They might have gone with the older computer system (from the stone age), but they did make the right decision on going with CO's food -- so there is an improvement there.

Would like to ask if UA provides op-ups for KF gold members? I've heard tt those on mileage plus get op-up quite easily. Do I need to request for it at check-in?
        This is EXTREMELY RARE as 90% of the plane will have UA status (I always wonder why they even bother to call out the tiers as pretty much the entire gate area jumps in line to board :roll eyes. However, it is not impossible. I haven't held UA status for a long time, but have been upgraded here and there. It should be noted that your fare basis is taken into consideration (if the gate agent is doing her job correctly). They are also quite liberal about giving out Y+ if it's available -- not that it makes a whole lot of difference.

On a side-note, I have a 38min transit between 2 UA flights: HNL-EWR-MIA. Will there be problems here?
        Your connection is tight, but legal. If you can get an idea of the gate you're departing EWR out of, you can check to see how fast you'll have to run.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
        X