No announcement yet.

THAI Airbus A380 will come to SIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just completed the flight in Economy on TG 0409.

Give me a day or two to sort out the pics and write a report.

Not much of a fanfare in Singapore.

But the GM was there.

There were a lot of aviation enthusiasts. I was one of the last to deplane.

Comment

Pics pls!

Comment

I was on board this flight too, all I can say it was great fun for every aviation enthusiasts and not to mention the superb set of crews who was extremely gracious and accommodating to us!

I will be doing a thorough trip report on J class and the lounge in Bangkok. Stay tuned for it!

Comment

Yes...did asked them where r they from and apparently they are from some forum in spore...

Just a key chain and playing cards..not sure about TG 410 to BKK...

How was it Kyo?

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
          Nothing special at heck in, so I use the Premium Lounge to check in. There is a group of First to Flh checking in and they took a group pic......

Comment

Upper deck or lower deck?

I was in 17A

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
            Just completed the flight in Economy on TG 0409.

Give me a day or two to sort out the pics and write a report.

Not much of a fanfare in Singapore.

But the GM was there.

There were a lot of aviation enthusiasts. I was one of the last to deplane.

Comment

When's the earliest I can check in at the SATS Premium Check In Lounge for the TG410 flight? I know the check in lounge is open 24hrs. So is it the same for checking for TG flights?

Comment

Keychain and playing cards also, that duffel bag starts to look tempting by comparison!! It was a great flight and everyone was allowed to visit the different cabins prior takeoff, then they closed off F for Y pax... J was still allowed to be nosey. I like the far more spacious toilets in F (EK still wins for MOST spacious).

El Kapitan and myself sat together in 17E/F, and we observed that odd row numbers are great for couples who want to sit together in the middle rows, whilst even numbers are for those who want a bit more room. It IS very tight and cosy, but it is lie-flat.

Oh, and we have a new award for the quietest takeoff ever amongst all the A380 carriers. This thing is silent!!! Very conducive for sleeping, although still a dry cabin that could use more moisture. Side storage bins for window pax great as well.

Pictures later as I haven't connected the new RX100 I took the photos with to the laptop yet...

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
                  When's the earliest I can check in at the SATS Premium Check In Lounge for the TG410 flight? I know the check in lounge is open 24hrs. So is it the same for checking for TG flights?
                  Up to 6 hours before but they do make exceptions sometimes...

Comment

I'm booked on TG410 tonight in Y (for work) and am wondering if they got seats in C if they will do the standby upgrade for a "reasonable" price? Anyone has any recent experience with that from SIN?

I read in another forum a quote of 210USD for SIN - BKK which I may consider. Worth it for the experience? Just want to try out the new seat basically to determine if it is good choice for future redemptions to Europe

Comment

Okay, I'm a bit bored this lunchtime so I thought I'd crunch the numbers for you.

I don't think it'll be offered cheaply (and USD$210 in my book means you've almost paid the difference for travel in J both ways as it's usually approx S$350 on top for a return, and they are selling the 'readily-available-on-Thai Singapore' 380 promo J even cheaper at $683 in J vs $258 in Y - a fare price I think you're unlikely to have paid for since you're asking for a standby upgrade).

As USD$210 = approx S$260 at today's levels, and assuming a base SIN-BKK-SIN standard Q fare which is the lowest fare class required for redeeming an upgrade and earning miles, which costs on average S$433... you would have to add $260 + 433 = $693 for a one-way Y-J up. In comparison, you could save yourself the hassle and pay $683 for a two-way J return SIN-BKK-SIN.

I'd keep the S$10 and just buy a two-way J return as it's cheaper than upgrading one way.

Disclaimer: Of course, if you're on a different travel itinerary, some/none of the above may apply in that exact way. Furthermore, only you can determine for yourself if it's 'worth' it spending that kind of money. To some, it might be - just for the sake of trying the new product. It's a great product, especially for those who want to sleep/need silence...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        Okay, I'm a bit bored this lunchtime so I thought I'd crunch the numbers for you.

I don't think it'll be offered cheaply (and USD$210 in my book means you've almost paid the difference for travel in J both ways as it's usually approx S$350 on top for a return, and they are selling the 'readily-available-on-Thai Singapore' 380 promo J even cheaper at $683 in J vs $258 in Y - a fare price I think you're unlikely to have paid for since you're asking for a standby upgrade).

As USD$210 = approx S$260 at today's levels, and assuming a base SIN-BKK-SIN standard Q fare which is the lowest fare class required for redeeming an upgrade and earning miles, which costs on average S$433... you would have to add $260 + 433 = $693 for a one-way Y-J up. In comparison, you could save yourself the hassle and pay $683 for a two-way J return SIN-BKK-SIN.

I'd keep the S$10 and just buy a two-way J return as it's cheaper than upgrading one way.

Disclaimer: Of course, if you're on a different travel itinerary, some/none of the above may apply in that exact way. Furthermore, only you can determine for yourself if it's 'worth' it spending that kind of money. To some, it might be - just for the sake of trying the new product. It's a great product, especially for those who want to sleep/need silence...
                        agree with you. I did the calcualtion is not worth to do standby upgrade.

The better one is to ask your travel agent to reissue the ticket (which paid by company) on J-class and you pay the different. Of course you may have to pay reissuance fee.

I did calculation on SIN-BKK-TPE, the option is much cheaper compare to do standby upgrade. In my case, I have to do on each segment and no guarantee.
                        visit my blog

Comment

TG has really reasonable prices on SIN-BKK-TPE which allows stopovers on either direction too. I did it two years ago in J and quite enjoyed it. Very early departure, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            TG has really reasonable prices on SIN-BKK-TPE which allows stopovers on either direction too. I did it two years ago in J and quite enjoyed it. Very early departure, though...
                            ya.... thats why i was thinking to ops up to J, as my company only pay y. Actually the TG J is just slightly higher ($100-200) than SQ S class.

SIN-TPE is ok. 12:25pm. TPE-SIN needs to take 7am flight. Otherwise needs to do overnight in BKK. Also night flight is still on old A330-300. I took it 2 times but only on Y, as company pay. I just do free overnight to BKK
                            visit my blog

Comment

Hong Kong trip.
                              http://www.discuss.com.hk/viewthread...extra=page%3D1

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. To update on my own question I asked and they told me 270US$ I thanked them and referred to MasterCard promo selling RT for 800SGD right now so thanks but no thanks. BTW, our corp travel policy for this flight demands Eco fares so booking C outright isn't possible.

I had 67A on upper deck and that Eco seat is a fine choice with ample space for a bulkhead. Also that small upstairs compartment has two bathrooms for relatively few pax something not to be underestimated. I also had a test drive of the C seat and find it somewhat disappointing. what SQ C is too wide this seat is too narrow. My god the foot well area is tiny, no leg rest coming up for slumbering and all the seats where the table / storage area is not on the aisle side have zero privacy and are easily bothered by passing traffic.

To top it all off we left the gate about 30mins late to taxi just to stop right before take-off and return to the gate for a steering problem (sounds familiar on A380). Brand new bird and issues over issues. We finally took off a good 2hrs late on an already pushed back 10PM departure. To say the least I wasn't a happy camper and wondering why I even bothered to pay for 5hrs at my hotel.

Comment

Working...
                                X