Murphy's Law on UA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy's Law on UA

This true story was related to me by a friend. They were a family booked SIN - IAH recently on UA.

Outbound -

SIN - NRT:

Aircraft's A/Con system Broke down in SIN. Flight delayed for about 5 hrs and sitting in aircraft or waiting area. Late arrival in NRT, missed direct connection to IAH. Need to stay a night in NRT. Measly meal voucher of JPY 2,000 per head and not enough to cover for two meals (in Japan) and to be consumed at hotel they were staying at.

NRT - LAX - IAH

Next day, flight flight to IAH but on DL with additional stopover in LAX. Barely caught flight LAX - IAH. Total flight time: 2 days door to door. To add to injury, luggages delivered a day later.

Inbound:

Return flight changed due to important family matters. Coughed up additional payments to UA...and not small amount.

Schedule now changed to take CO to NRT and ANA to SIN.

CO flight arrived in NRT but NRT - SIN airline and schedule changed by UA without informing them...ANA changed to UA and scheduled departure an hour later.

NRT - SIN:

UA flight took off but had to be turned back to NRT due to mechanical issue. Family back in NRT. But original ANA flight already left for SIN. Family put on coach to bring them to HND to catch another ANA flight to SIN. 2-3 hours journey to HND from NRT. Finally, HND - NRT worked out. However, luggages did not arrived until a day later.

Not a fun flight but I am sure some others probably got a worse case of Murphy's Law.

I always wondered what happens if you don't have a Japanese visa, are yous stuck at the airport for the night, or will the immigration officer allow you in?

Comment

This is one reason why I avoid US carriers at all costs.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Aviation View Post
        I always wondered what happens if you don't have a Japanese visa, are yous stuck at the airport for the night, or will the immigration officer allow you in?
        I heard a friend of mine had a similar issue, but he was stranded for more than two days. Still had sufficient funds so he was given a 24 hour emergency visa.

Not too sure about these days though.

Comment

It helps, at times like this, to have some frequent flyer status. One gets treated a bit better, with a better hotel and food - sometimes these things can't be avoided, and one just has to make the best out of a bad situation.

Comment

Avoid US carriers?

Have a look at the thread titled "A380=disrupted travel"!!

All airlines are subject to problems..... I missed a connection TO a UA flight as a result of NH being late..... by the time I got to the RCC at NRT I had been rebooked by UA to my final destination via IAD rather than SFO...

So who was good and who wasn't then? Not that I hold it against NH... these things happen.

Comment

I keep telling you guys how much UA sucks!
              HUGE AL

Comment

I recently did EWR-DEN-EWR on UA ( CO metal ) and I was really impressed with DirectTV offered as chargeable IFE.

That, plus ability to pay for emex seat, made it an enjoyable trip.

Plan to write a TR on flight.

I hope new UA adopts this standard

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  with DirectTV offered as chargeable IFE.
                  It's free.. at least it is in F i think.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    It's free.. at least it is in F i think.
                    AVOD should be free in FC or J/C, and also sometimes if you have your own headphones purchased during a previous flight, but unfortunately on board WiFi is not free. Prices depend on the length of the flights and you can sometimes buy a day pass. Plan on maybe US$15 for a longish period of email or web surfing with sometimes slow service if too many people on the flight try to use it simu,taneously. This is only for domestic flights. Over water segments require a different satellite based technology and this system generally has not been installed yet, although I have heard that LH is doing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X