United HKG-SIN-HKG to go 737

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fone View Post
    My wife finds even UA (international) C food to be horrible and prefers SQ Y food to that.

That means no more UA for me. Is the SIN - NRT still 777, otherwise no more UA to USA for me too. I'm guessing they will be selling the tickets to unsuspecting customers flying via HKG to ORD or SFO.
    You fly long-haul SQ Y instead of UA C because you don't like the food? That's a very funny choice... 10 hours in Y and no flat bed but I really love the ten minutes I spent on finishing my meal... Wow!

Comment

I had a boneless lamb shank dish on HKG-SIN in C this week which was among the better in-flight meals I've had recently.

Comment

actually does it make sense from cost perspective. doing HKG-SIN leg on B737 means that they have to "park" the B737 in HKG right (well somewhere in Asia), as for sure the B737 cannot fly back to US. I remember reading that this 1 plane will be shared betwen HKG-SIN/SGN route.

Won't it be more economical to continue with the big birds from US?
        visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by SQADL333 View Post
          You Guys Talk like having a 737 on a sector like that is a bad thing.In Australia we use those and A320's on the Tasman into smaller places like Wellington and Christchurch and nobody is complaining same for most Auckland Flights too on Pacific Blue,Jetstar,Qantas and Air New Zealand and most of these flights are of a similar duration of Singapore to Hong Kong
          Most people who have any idea choose a 767/777/A330 over the 737/A320 for many reasons.

I know of many people who choose a 15 year old 767 instead of a newish 737 on Qantas to fly MEL/SYD

Comment

i remember when i was in the US where B757 is quite common, please think B757 is bigger than B747, which indeed B757 is a single aisle plane
            visit my blog

Comment

If you're taking the viewpoint of SIN-HKG being a point-to-point operation, then sure, using single-aisle aircraft is nothing unusual. I mean, plenty of LCCs (and full-service carriers as well) use narrowbody aircraft for reasonably long routes, some of which are even redeye flights.

However, from the viewpoint of SIN-HKG being part of a longer journey (SIN-HKG-SFO, for example) that most people will take, particularly when the same flight number is used for both legs, then I would say that the 737 will simply be an unpleasant surprise for most people. Especially if you are booked in C. And not that anyone actually pays for F on UA anyway, but there won't be any F seats on the aircraft!

If the SIN-HKG leg truly cannot support the UA operation, then I suppose there will be little to lose by UA effectively abandoning any sort of premium market on the leg through this downgauge anyway. However, if I was travelling to/from SIN through HKG, then the narrowbody with the shorthaul products will be a shock - and I suspect anyone who has a budget above the bare minimum will stick to a more pleasant

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                i remember when i was in the US where B757 is quite common, please think B757 is bigger than B747, which indeed B757 is a single aisle plane
                Huh?

Comment

Post deleted
                  Last edited by viraj735; 20 August 2011, 12:49 PM.
                  The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Anyone try united b737-800 on sin-hkg route? Price quite cheap
                    visit my blog

Comment

I have just moved from Singapore to Hong Kong and have to travel to Japan around 20 times a year and so I do the UA flights from HK-NRT all the time. I have also done the HK-SIN leg on UA a couple of times as well this year and confirm that it is the same equipment as HKG-NRT.

I think for a 3 and a half hour sector anything is perfectly fine and UA is fine with me...sure it hasn't got the perks that SQ has as a product but it certainly has on the price by a considerable margin! I think the product is fine, seats are OK, pitch is decent. There is a drop down screen for IFE. They provide you with meals and you can call for snacks and any drinks are free when you like, apart from alcohol.

Ok the timings as many of you have said are very bad if you just want SIN-HKG, but the flight is designed for the US flights from HK and NRT. It is normally rammed full of Americans normally going back to the US getting the connecting flights that leave HK at around 10 am (Chicago, San Francisco, and the Tokyo flight which then changes at NRT for Newark). All these flights leave only about an hour after the plane lands. Everytime I have flown this flight J class has been full and Y fairly close to full.

My vote is for the price it is 100% worth it. It has always been on time and has always been perfectly good for what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 17august View Post
                        There is a drop down screen for IFE. They provide you with meals and you can call for snacks and any drinks are free when you like, apart from alcohol.
                        eh? have United dumped free alchol for intra-asia routes? they used to include it.
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by 17august View Post
                          I have just moved from Singapore to Hong Kong and have to travel to Japan around 20 times a year and so I do the UA flights from HK-NRT all the time. I have also done the HK-SIN leg on UA a couple of times as well this year and confirm that it is the same equipment as HKG-NRT.

I think for a 3 and a half hour sector anything is perfectly fine and UA is fine with me...sure it hasn't got the perks that SQ has as a product but it certainly has on the price by a considerable margin! I think the product is fine, seats are OK, pitch is decent. There is a drop down screen for IFE. They provide you with meals and you can call for snacks and any drinks are free when you like, apart from alcohol.

Ok the timings as many of you have said are very bad if you just want SIN-HKG, but the flight is designed for the US flights from HK and NRT. It is normally rammed full of Americans normally going back to the US getting the connecting flights that leave HK at around 10 am (Chicago, San Francisco, and the Tokyo flight which then changes at NRT for Newark). All these flights leave only about an hour after the plane lands. Everytime I have flown this flight J class has been full and Y fairly close to full.

My vote is for the price it is 100% worth it. It has always been on time and has always been perfectly good for what it is.
                          Agreed, travel on this route frequently using UA. 737-800 is good. Actually the seat is better then the old 747.
                          Checkin in and out is quick too!

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                            Agreed, travel on this route frequently using UA. 737-800 is good. Actually the seat is better then the old 747.
                            Checkin in and out is quick too!

I had been traveling this route (HKG-SIN-HKG) regularly on UA as well and missed the 747 badly.

I badly missed the cockpit chatter on channel 9 on the Jumbo and this feature is not available on the 737.

(Audio)

Comment

Originally posted by Audio View Post
                              I had been traveling this route (HKG-SIN-HKG) regularly on UA as well and missed the 747 badly.

I badly missed the cockpit chatter on channel 9 on the Jumbo and this feature is not available on the 737.

(Audio)
                              Just 3 hour flight, is not so bad. Been travelling a lot using domastic flight within USA. Many are still 737 (and is old one) anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                                Just 3 hour flight, is not so bad. Been travelling a lot using domastic flight within USA. Many are still 737 (and is old one) anyway.
                                wow old one? is not the "new" aircraft ex-CO?

So no PTV?
                                visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                                X