No announcement yet.

United HKG-SIN-HKG to go 737

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

believed CO/UA will based 2 737s in HKG - and will use the 737 on its SIN-HKG-SIN runs. Ifthe timinhs remains unchanged, then may be good for those who plan to make it to HKG early and esp for day trippers, then catch the nite return flight back to SIN. United's main reason for using the 737s is bec its uneconomical to use its 777/744 to SIN. But their loads on these widebodies seems very healthy between SIN-HKG despite their poor EY service.

Comment

Originally posted by demue View Post
      Is that so? I thought the 737s were mostly for the HKG tag on flights to SIN & SGN. I would be surprised if they base a 737 at NRT to fly the tag on for the 777. I mean with the right 737 version the operational range is fine, but filling a 777 from NRT to SIN in general (ignoring current circumstances due to earthquake) should be easier than a 747 from HKG.
      Careless me...
      In fact, I left out another destinations CO/UA flies 737s to.

GUM!

So if you add it all up, they don't actually "base" aircraft in HKG, but rather use it as the transit stop. Something like NRT — HKG — SGN/SIN and GUM — HKG — SGN/SIN could be done for instance...

Comment

Originally posted by SQADL333 View Post
        Nothing wrong with using such a plane.Most of us don't know this but before CX Had the Tristar and SQ had the DC10 AND 747 AND A300 on the SIN-HKG-SIN services these were all narrow bodied 707 services so what is the problem with CO/UA going down to a 737.In Europe for such flights with a few exceptions they use little airbuses or 737's and much the same in Australia too Don't quite get the fascination that the Asian's need or want with a twin aisle plane.
        Bigger is better, especially more so in Asia. Prestige and product offering also carry more cachet in this part of the world, too, I dare say.

However, as Air Asia/various budget airlines have proven, cost tends to win out over the prestige 'checkbox' and UA is regularly amongst the cheapest for 'full-service' (ironic, yes) carriers in one of the top two airline alliances.

So, put 2+2 together, and there's generally your answer. Of course, there are more factors than that - but I posit those two are the biggest factors, and less so about the Asian 'fascination' with a twin-aisle plane. In fact, that statement could be construed as even a little racist in some circles.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
          believed CO/UA will based 2 737s in HKG - and will use the 737 on its SIN-HKG-SIN runs. Ifthe timinhs remains unchanged, then may be good for those who plan to make it to HKG early and esp for day trippers, then catch the nite return flight back to SIN. United's main reason for using the 737s is bec its uneconomical to use its 777/744 to SIN. But their loads on these widebodies seems very healthy between SIN-HKG despite their poor EY service.
          Full load doesn't mean high yield. The flights may not be economical even though they're full. Perhaps it is now more expensive to fly the 747 for a HKG-SIN run than to park it overnight in HKG, thus leading to their decision.

747 to 737 is a huge downgrade, wonder if they might even cut HKG-SIN one day

Comment

Sin-hkg/hkg-sin:

Co 98 sin 0540 hkg 0940 738
            co 99 hkg 2125 sin 0115+ 738

PS. I don't know why, even when I type it in capital, it becomes small letters?
            Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
              Sin-hkg/hkg-sin:

Wow so the HKG flight now leaves only at 21:15? I remember it going out at 20:00 in the past (okay maybe 2-3 years ago), but maybe that was too close to the SQ flight. Arriving in SIN way past midnight, hmm not my thing, but could work for people who want to squeeze a full days work or sightseeing out of a trip.

Comment

Sin-hkg/hkg-sin:

Hmm, looks like it'll be a continuation of CO HKG-EWR-HKG service.

Comment

Sin-hkg/hkg-sin:

With this kind of timing, this means that pax have to wake up as early as 4am on the day of departure and can only go to bed at 2am on the date of arrival.

Also having to catch the taxi with the midnight surcharge running both ways, on top of the A/C having downgraded from new Intl J seats to the Dom F seats, I can only imagine their loads to slip even further.

Comment

Originally posted by eriond View Post
                    With this kind of timing, this means that pax have to wake up as early as 4am on the day of departure and can only go to bed at 2am on the date of arrival.

Also having to catch the taxi with the midnight surcharge running both ways, on top of the A/C having downgraded from new Intl J seats to the Dom F seats, I can only imagine their loads to slip even further.
                    I think not only 4am , at least 2 hours..so it's around 3.

They are sure to lose their business to SQ/CX or even Tiger/jetstar...

Not mentioning CX added the 7th nonstop flight to hongkong!
                    Thank You For Flying With Singapore Airlines , A Member Of Star Alliance.

Comment

Originally posted by PI66341 View Post
                      I think not only 4am , at least 2 hours..so it's around 3.

They are sure to lose their business to SQ/CX or even Tiger/jetstar...

Not mentioning CX added the 7th nonstop flight to hongkong!
                      Doesn't the AVOD on CO's 737's require a swipe of a plastic card?
                      The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

The CO98/99 flight is the NON-STOP EWR-HKG flight.

If they timed it that way it's a continuation of the flight from their Newark NYC hub.
                        You currently can fly DAILY
                        EWR-HKG-SIN on CO/UA but obviously as their consolidating their systems the SIN-tag-on from the Newark airport would be similar to the longest flight in the world SQ21/22 except for the fact that the CO/UA solution stops in HKG and switches from a 777 to a 737.

Oh and burns a HECK of LESS fuel. If SQ bought the 77L the fuel burn would be similar on the non-stop EWR-SIN.

Heh.

Also allows EWR/ORD/SFO-HKG-SIN and EWR/IAH/IAD/ORD/SFO/LAX/SEA-NRT-SIN.

Hmm...

Comment

Sin-hkg/hkg-sin:

Meals are furthermore no longer free. There will be snacks / breakfast for purchase however... This is definitely a downgrade for the SIN-HKG sector

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                            Meals are furthermore no longer free. There will be snacks / breakfast for purchase however... This is definitely a downgrade for the SIN-HKG sector
                            so HKG-SIN-HKG is considered as "domestic" flight I suppose
                            visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                              so HKG-SIN-HKG is considered as "domestic" flight I suppose
                              Low cost carrier?

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
                                Low cost carrier?
                                in US domestic flight everything must buy including the hradphone and alcohol drink
                                visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                                X