Indigo Airlines going international

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indigo Airlines going international

Indian based airlines, Indigo Airlines has recently ordered 180 Airbus SAS A320s and has received Indian aviation ministry approval to fly to start international operations in August, pitting it against Emirates, Singapore Airlines Ltd and AirAsia Bhd.

Indigo has 241 A320s on order till 2025, including 61 from a previous order, 14will join its fleet this year.

Indigo has been cleared to operate daily flights to Bangkok, Singapore and Dubai from New Delhi and Mumbai, besides connecting Muscat with Mumbai, all considered to be high-traffic routes. IndiGo’s proposal to fly to several other overseas destination starting from November is still to be cleared.

Indigo joins Jet, Kingfisher and Air India in moving into more profitable internatonal routes. Indian domestic routes have to date been low yielding. The competitive disadvantage for Indigo will be the lack of alliances and whether they complete with other larger international couriers who operate out of the hubs of Singapore and Dubai.

It will be interesting to see whether the introduction of a low cost courier will put downward pressure on the prices of these routes.

Gunners

241 aircraft on order seems pretty incredible
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Jt js reported that internatinal passenger numbers out of India are growing at 10% per annum. The domiestic flights prices in India are some of the lowest in the World. I guess the Indian Airlines are seeking to balance these low margins with higher premiums on international flights.

Comment

Working...
      X