Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pax recordings of inflight announcements aboard QF32:
    http://media.theage.com.au/national/...t-2027313.html
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
      Sounds pretty serious.. Guess that kangaroo will be in SIN for a while
      One of the passenger even said . The hole was gradually expanding as the plane bank left on its approach back to SIN.

Comment

Originally posted by dengilo View Post
        Is that true?How much fuel need to dump for the plane to land safely?How fast can it be done and at what rate?
        The amount of fuel has to be dump .... Fuel will be dumped until the aircraft can land with its Maximum Landing Weight (MLD) Usually the Maximum Take-off Weight (MTOW) willl be higher then MLD in order to carry more fuel for the flight. But since they only had just used 5 minutes of fuel for the 8 hour flight . They need to burn off LOTS of fuel in order to land safe

Comment

Yup, engine no 1 could not be shut down and they tried water injection to shut it down. Possibility of debris that caused the hole in the wing severing off vital lines to the engine. It also lost significant amount of hydraulics on one of the system. In fact, the cargo doors could only be opened around 11pm plus. Brought to the ICU(hangar) sum time after.

A380 MLD is at around 391 tonnes. MZFW is at around 366 tonnes. It probably would have needed to jettison 60 plus tonnes off. Just a guess.

Comment

not good...

Design fault 'may have caused A380 scare' - Qantas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11700401

Comment

Saw on the, one of the pax walked passed the media and shouted, "give me a Boeing Anytime."
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                Saw on the, one of the pax walked passed the media and shouted, "give me a Boeing Anytime."
                Obviously that guy wasn't on board the Qantas 747 from SFO in September.

Comment

SQ resuming A380 flights today (Friday) according to that BBC report....more worrying that there was an airworthiness call issued on the RR Trent 900's early August.......and now there's an uncontained engine failure.......

As we push the envelope with new technologies, materials and construction methods, one line of thought is that instances of this sort of "design flaw" or "material failure" leading to component failure will keep pace with the advances.
                  Neither is particularly good news - we're either pushing the material beyond it's capabilities, or somebody in a room somewhere just thought "it doesn't matter that much".
                  I think the interesting questions, asisde from "What the hell happened?" is, assuming it is a design flaw, why wasn't it picked up in the rigorous testing? And if it was, why was it ignored?
                  If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                    not good...

Design fault 'may have caused A380 scare' - Qantas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11700401
                    I'm mightily impressed how quickly they've solved the problem.

They may well be right, but they are hardly going to come out withing 24 hours and say 'We think it was the fault of our maintenance'.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
                      SQ resuming A380 flights today (Friday) according to that BBC report....more worrying that there was an airworthiness call issued on the RR Trent 900's early August.......and now there's an uncontained engine failure.......
                      I bet every engine in service has some form of AD, it is actually a good sign - people are catching and reacting to potential problems. There's nothing new about turbine engines developing problems in service - CF6, JT9D, earlier Trents all went on to be fine engines once fixes were identified.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        I'm mightily impressed how quickly they've solved the problem.

They may well be right, but they are hardly going to come out withing 24 hours and say 'We think it was the fault of our maintenance'.
                        nice of him to call into question every rolls-powered a380, rather than keep his mouth shut till there is more clarity...

Comment

If this really is a design fault with the JumboJet, boeing will be laughing

Comment

Bearing in mind the JumboJet is the 747, I doubt they'd be laughing. The A380 is known as the fat ugly b*stard, or Snoopy by some SQ crew.

If there is a 'design fault' it's likely to be with the engines not that aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              Bearing in mind the JumboJet is the 747, I doubt they'd be laughing. The A380 is known as the fat ugly b*stard, or Snoopy by some SQ crew.

If there is a 'design fault' it's likely to be with the engines not that aircraft.
                              I think one of the speech by captain is he could not shutdown the engine. So I believe this is more than just the engine problem.

Comment

Don't laugh just yet... just in case GE screws them on their 747-8.

Comment

Working...
                                X