Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Berlin to join oneworld

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/details?objectID=22473

Air Berlin has accepted an invitation to join the oneworld® global alliance - and is to develop co-operative agreements with group members American Airlines and Finnair.
    Exciting news!

Never flown them before - any comments on what Air Berlin is like? I thought they were some sort of LCC. But according to their website they seem to have a rather comprehensive offering - Business Class, complimentary main cabin drinks/snacks, loyalty program, and a rather reasonable list of destinations (far more coverage than, say, MALEV).
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 July 2010, 01:48 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Fantastic news! This will allow OW to have a central European hub (striking deep within the heart of LH territory). With the new Berlin airport becoming operational in 2011/2012, this is a coup for OW.

Their service offering on short-haul flights supposedly exceeds LH's, and they do have an extensive network ex-Berlin to European destinations. A very nice addition to OW in Europe.

I wonder whether their FFP will lean towards the AA model of showing generosity towards Y flyers or to the BA model of preferring premium fare pax.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Nice to Have another european addition. Air Berlin doesn't really fit in with the rest of the OW airlines though. OW always says they want quality and not quantity and now they have added an airline which is pretty much a budget carrier with a poor premium product.
      It will be like the BMI of Oneworld..... let's just hope their FFP will be just as generous
      Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Originally posted by pogonation View Post
        Nice to Have another european addition. Air Berlin doesn't really fit in with the rest of the OW airlines though. OW always says they want quality and not quantity and now they have added an airline which is pretty much a budget carrier with a poor premium product.
        It will be like the BMI of Oneworld..... let's just hope their FFP will be just as generous
        I think you meant BMI of Star Alliance

Comment

Originally posted by Ratman View Post
          I think you meant BMI of Star Alliance
          No, he was saying it would be the equivalent of BMI but in One World.
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Saw a poster at one of the European airports - FA? with red beret and red gloves?!!! (!!! for kinky red gloves)

I think the poster was some info on hand luggage requirements - 6 kg max.

Comment

This is very interesting.

I use to fly Air Berlin a lot as they had a big base at DUS, but since I moved a couple of years ago then I have not flown with them.

Short Haul they are OK. They were (not sure now) technically a LCC but with benefits. These being a snack and drink (non alcoholic), assigned seating, and FFP but with cheap tickets. Certainly for the price they were good. Especially if I compare to SK who are a full service airline but charge a lot and give nothing (no food & drink in economy).

I never flew long haul with them, although I got the impression that the business class product was not very good (more aimed at holiday makers wanting more space and willing to pay a lot more as most of their destinations are holiday spots), and that they were actually reducing this.

But within Germany they are certainly a competitor to LH and one I was always happy to take. Just a pitty that they can't get many slots at FRA (although this might change with the 4th runway and 3rd terminal being built).

Comment

The agreement also extends to joining up Niki, an associate airline of AB based in VIE, as an affiliate member:
                http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...ld-member.html

An interesting year of expansion for oneworld with clever picking of niche carriers (S7, IT and now AB) - which will bring to the alliance decent coverage of their own regions, and avoids intra alliance competition on long hauls.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I wonder how the Niki 'affiliate' relationship will work. They're rather budget, I thought... and not in the MI kind of way...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    I wonder how the Niki 'affiliate' relationship will work. They're rather budget, I thought... and not in the MI kind of way...
                    They seem to be in the same 'hybrid' mould as airlines like Air Berlin and Virgin Blue, from what I've seen of their inflight service on their website. I am not sure if they offer interline connections like AB and DJ, which is one of the biggest differentiators of a true LCC. Another challenge would be whether their backroom infrastructure is/will be sufficiently developed allow them to handle complex interline products like RTW fares (AB as I understand has migrated to one of the traditional GDS's).

Comment

I do feel that AB might end up being an affiliate of OW rather than a full pledged member as they don't have lounges per se rather contract ones.

Their 31" seat pitch on their european fleet also leaves a lot to be desired!

Comment

Working...
                      X