Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming child lands Qantas in court

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...720-10iu6.html

It can be a traveller's great fear - sitting near a screaming child on a passenger plane.

American tourist Jean Barnard, who embarked on her dream holiday to Australia and New Zealand in January last year, alleges the trip became a nightmare when she boarded a Darwin-bound Qantas plane in Alice Springs, walked to her assigned seat and came face-to-face with a three-year-old boy across the aisle.

The boy allegedly leant back over his armrest toward Ms Barnard and let out a scream so severe that blood erupted from her ears, leaving her "stone cold deaf".

"The pain was so excruciating that I didn't even know I was deaf," Ms Barnard said, reliving the incident during a deposition for a civil lawsuit she filed against Qantas in the US District Court in Los Angeles.

Ms Barnard has been locked in a legal tussle with Qantas for more than a year, with the 67-year-old claiming she suffered severe and permanent injuries, including sudden sensio-neural hearing loss, from the child's scream and sought damages for physical and mental suffering, medical expenses and loss or impairment of earning capacity.

The warring parties, however, announced last week to the judge handling the case that a truce had been reached and they "entered into a confidential settlement".
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

... and this is QF's fault because?

ohhhh because the crew were not carrying gaffer tape and there was no certified psychic crew member on board...

Apologies to Ms Barnard

Comment

Read the comments from the public at the end of the article, worth a chuckle or 5

Comment

"can all passengers with small children please go to gate 13 for pre-flight bounding and gagging."

Comment

how terrible. The airline should impose a policy that screaming children be given wine, champagne or any booze they can find onboard till they fall asleep.

Okay, don't worry, I don't intend to have kids ever

Comment

Some parents sedate their hyperactive children with antihistamines for a good reason.

I was on a SIN-DPS flight once. Three kids came to the J section with their nanny to visit the parents. They were running around and screaming at the top of their voices. I mean really screaming - shrill, high pitched, loud - eardrums did not burst fortunately.

Comment

Resist the 'urge' to scream back at them phaleesy?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                Resist the 'urge' to scream back at them phaleesy?
                It was a day flight. Since I was on holiday, I was happy and excited. So I wasn't that bothered.

If this happened on a long haul night flight, and I had to go straight to work from the flight or have an extensive sightseeing checklist on arrival, I would have told the parents off!

Comment

Only in America...

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                    ... and this is QF's fault because?

Should have been a civil suit against the boy and his parents.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                      Should have been a civil suit against the boy and his parents.
                      Ah yes, but they might not have the deep pockets of the Big Evil Airline.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Would have been an interesting court session to sit in on me thinks!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
                          Only in America...
                          All these tourists with their 'dream vacation ruined by....'.

Please... why didn't she do anything or complain to their parents.. rather than QF? QF can't do anything about the child otherwise his parents will sue QF for interfering in their affairs.

Comment

I'm sure it's a pre-req for F/A's to be psychic

Comment

Working...
                            X