Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetstar announces new MEL-SIN and SIN-AKL services

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/je...0609-xvuy.html

Jetstar said today it would start offering direct Melbourne-Singapore daily flights from December 16, kicking off at a limited, discounted $99 one-way special fare.

The Melbourne-Singapore service offers travellers direct access to the low-cost airline's group's increasingly important Singapore hub, that in turn feeds Jetstar's pan-Asian connections.

A second new route, from Singapore to Auckland on Jetstar Asia will begin on March 17, with details of its introductory fares to be emailed to travellers registered on Jetstar's website as JetMail members "soon", the company says.

The new flights out of Singapore will be operated on two wide-body Airbus A330s, in two-class configuration: economy and premium economy, which offers extra seat space, extra baggage allowances, and includes inflight entertainment, meals and drinks.
    At $1970.64 for Starclass on MEL-SIN return which earns Business Class SCs on QFF vs almost $3000 for Premium Economy on QF which earns only full whY SCs, whY+ on Jetstar represents a rather good value proposition. Timings aren't too bad either.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 9 June 2010, 06:12 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

I snagged a *Class (the website was getting hammered in the first minute, took me 15 mins to finalise) for mid-end Feb '11 one way... hoping to get creative on the routing back

It's operated by the A330s which (from the pics) don't look all that bad. Hopefully comes with iPad by next Feb.

Looking forward to finally walking into the QF lounge at Changi

Would be willing to donate my SCs also but don't think that's possible!

Cost me S$504 including Visa fees...

Comment

Jetstar to start long-haul flights out of Singapore

Jetstar to start long-haul flights out of Singapore

SINGAPORE : Low-cost carrier Jetstar will launch its first long-haul flights from Singapore to Melbourne at the end of the year.

Tickets for the Australian route are on sale on Wednesday and Thursday. They cost $98 between 3pm and 5pm on Wednesday and $248 on Thursday, for one-way tickets.

The carrier will also fly to New Zealand from next March.

Low-cost carriers are known for no frills and cheap fares to nearby destinations.

But now, some budget carriers are tapping a different market - long-haul destinations.

From December 16, Qantas-owned Jetstar will fly from Singapore to Melbourne; and from Singapore to Auckland from March 17 next year.

Bruce Buchanan, CEO, Jetstar, said: "We offer a fully-inclusive product, the Jetplus, where your meals are included and you pay for them upfront, and we also have the Jetsaver product where you pay just the basic fare, or Jetsaver Light without any bags. So you have a choice of either bringing your own food or eating at the airport beforehand or buying your meal on board or ordering your food beforehand."

Air Asia X is another carrier plying long-haul routes, with flights from Kuala Lumpur to Europe and the Middle East.

But is the model sustainable?

Paul Ng, Global Head of Aviation, Stephen Harwood, said: "Air Asia X has been operating for two years now and it is increasing the number of flights and destinations, and seems to be able to generate a yield that is sustainable for them out of Kuala Lumpur, and there is actually no competition out of Singapore.

"If Jetstar runs it out of Singapore, it will be the only airline that is offering this option to passengers, and I think they would have a reasonable chance of making it a success.

"In 2001 or 2002, if you asked a passenger to fly low-cost and with no frills, even for three hours, they would probably frown at it, but if the price is right, history has shown that passengers are prepared to put up with quite a bit."

Besides Australia and New Zealand, Jetstar also has plans to go long-haul into Europe and North Asia, tapping into two of the biggest markets in the travel industry.

The International Air Transport Association said that the Asia Pacific Region has overtaken North America as one of the largest travel markets, with nearly 650 million passengers last year. - CNA/jy/ms

Taken off Channelnewasia website

Comment

The MEL-SIN-MEL flights are operated by JQ and not by 3K - and JQ have been flying to SIN for sometime and likely the Auckland flight will be operated by JQ too. And JQ have operated aussie flights to KUL before but was discontinued.

Comment

Maybe this can give SQ a run for its money?

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            The MEL-SIN-MEL flights are operated by JQ and not by 3K - and JQ have been flying to SIN for sometime and likely the Auckland flight will be operated by JQ too. And JQ have operated aussie flights to KUL before but was discontinued.
            MEL-SIN-MEL is based out of MEL and will be operated by JQ.
            SIN-AKL-SIN will be operated by 3K.

Schedule as follows:
            Jetstar’s Singapore A330 flight schedule (Departure / Arrival times shown)

Commencing 16 December 2010
            Melbourne-Singapore* Singapore*-Melbourne
            JQ 7 12.00 – 16.50 JQ 8 20.50 – 06.55 (+1)
            Operates daily by A330-200

Commencing 17 March 2011 Commencing 18 March 2011
            Singapore* - Auckland Auckland – Singapore*
            3K 401 19.50 – 11.00 (+1) 3K 402 12.20 – 18.00
            Operates daily by A330-200
            http://australianaviation.com.au/jet...pore-services/
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 June 2010, 11:59 AM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I had a look at the *Class and I think they could have done better. While its a very decent price point, I don't see any personal AVOD and thats my number 1 gripe. Seating 9 hours in a plane with no AVOD will kill me, and I rather give up the bigger seat to go for QF / SQ.

But I guess its better for everyone all around (especially SIN - AKL), as fares are bound to feel some downward pressure...
              Life's A Bitch,
              Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                I had a look at the *Class and I think they could have done better. While its a very decent price point, I don't see any personal AVOD and thats my number 1 gripe. Seating 9 hours in a plane with no AVOD will kill me, and I rather give up the bigger seat to go for QF / SQ.

But I guess its better for everyone all around (especially SIN - AKL), as fares are bound to feel some downward pressure...
                Actually all star class passengers get a portable AVOD unit.

There is some talk that JQ will start offering an ipad with AVOD in the near future.

So that's that problem solved for you! I did a starclass trip report on my blog last year, I flew it again last week and took enough pics for another report, I felt things had improved since last time so I will do another report in the next few days.
                My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                  Actually all star class passengers get a portable AVOD unit.

There is some talk that JQ will start offering an ipad with AVOD in the near future.

So that's that problem solved for you! I did a starclass trip report on my blog last year, I flew it again last week and took enough pics for another report, I felt things had improved since last time so I will do another report in the next few days.
                  They do? Thats great actually! But I now have another question. For this portal AVOD, is it portable (as in hand held) or we can mount it somewhere? I can't really imagine myself holding this thing for 8 hours watching movies....

But if they do have mounting, I'll definitely put JQ on my list!
                  Life's A Bitch,
                  Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                    They do? Thats great actually! But I now have another question. For this portal AVOD, is it portable (as in hand held) or we can mount it somewhere? I can't really imagine myself holding this thing for 8 hours watching movies....

But if they do have mounting, I'll definitely put JQ on my list!
                    It has a stand and sits on your tray table
                    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Working...
                    X