X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emirates orders 32 Airbus "superjumbos"

Emirates orders 32 Airbus "superjumbos"

Posted 8 June 2010

BERLIN - Dubai airline Emirates announced on Tuesday an order for 32 A380 "superjumbos" for 11.5 billion US dollars, the biggest contract in civil aviation history, according to the aircraft's maker Airbus.

The A380 order, which takes to 90 the number ordered by Emirates, "shows our confidence in the future growth" of the airline industry, chief executive Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum said at the Berlin Air Show (ILA).

"It's the largest order ever placed for civil aircraft by dollar value based on catalogue prices in aviation history," said John Leahy, chief commercial officer at Airbus.

Emirates was the first airline to order the huge A380, which was the main attraction at the ILA starting on Tuesday. It has already taken delivery of 10 of the aircraft.

Franco-German Airbus, the arch rival of US giant Boeing, has gone months without receiving any confirmations of orders for the A380 or any new contracts for the plane as airlines have wrestled with the global recession.

Louis Gallois, chief executive of parent company EADS, said in a recent media interview that orders for the A380 would not properly take off again until 2011 or 2012 as airlines put the downturn behind them.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) provided some cheer on Monday with a prediction that the sector should be profitable this year for the first time since 2007.

- AFP/ir

John Leahy is a very happy man.

Not a big surprise considering that Clark has brought the topic of 100 whalies in fleet by the 2017-2018..

Comment

post deleted
      Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:31 AM.

Comment

I have read that the order for 32, when it comes to delivery, are to replace the old A380s that will be in the fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
          I have read that the order for 32, when it comes to delivery, are to replace the old A380s that will be in the fleet.
          No, according to article in Flight Magazine, the new order is to complement the existing order making EK the largest A380 operator with 90 aircrafts.

Comment

oh well i dont know then

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
              Says more about the slowness of Airbus in their delivery of the Aircraft than anything else really.

Comment

Let's just hope their orders aren't delayed..

Comment

only t[I]me in the next few years will tell if Emirates is right on its huge orders n numbers of A380s - as it does seems alot with 90 such planes and unless it can fill up the seats which wont be that easy without heavy discounting.

Comment

A little bird at Emirates told me that they will be using 15 or so A380s to compete directly against Qantas and Singapore on Aust - Europe route. They are talking about three flights a day out of SYD and MEL.

Comment

I hope to see the EK Superjumbos at KUL sometime

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                        Let's just hope their orders aren't delayed..
                        post deleted
                        Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X