X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another BA strike looms ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8671036.stm

post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:14 AM.

You notice its rarely the Shop Steward of the Union that gets fired?!?!

Notice also nobody seems to remember what happened in the industries that always did used to go on strick? The coal mines closed. The steel mills closed. The motor industry closed or got sold off. Teachers...... well there's a whole bigger can-of-worms.

When Thatcher finally grabbed Arfur Scargill by the balls and swallowed them for breakfast it was the best thing that could have happened but unfortunately it was too late to save the mines, steel plants and car industry. Now that Labour is out of government it needs somebody again, not funded by the unions, to take the matter by the nuts and squeeze until tears are flooding the streets of Heathrow. Not sure a Tory-LibDem cohabitation is strong enough to handle what needs to be done.

Comment

Major series of BA strikes to begin on May 18

post deleted
      Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:13 AM.

Comment

That's effectively 3 weeks....... :o

This will probably destroy whatever fragments left of goodwill UNITE would've had with the travelling public.

Comment

See I hate the unions for this, a lot of people in the UK are still struggling fiancially and many dont have a job or have not had a payrise, regardless of whether a company has been making money.

I find it very short sighted by cabin crew to be asking for a paywise when the company they work for is losing money hand over fist. According to that report the Ash ban cost BA 180m GBP...

Comment

BA isn't thriving profit wise at the moment anyway. This will only make things worse, this will make things worse for staff. The company gets less profit so they don't give big rises to staff if at all

Comment

post deleted
              Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:13 AM.

Comment

BD's take......... Worth a Laugh

Comment

Okay, but what union do BD's crew belong to?

Comment

Ooh they have the 9k join bonus again... nice campaign though

Comment

BA faces 20 new strike dates

BA faces 20 new strike dates

British Airways cabin crew are to strike for a further twenty days in May and June. The strike dates are May 18-22, May 24-28, May 30-June 3, and June 5-9.

The new strike dates follow the rejection of BA's latest offer to it cabin crew, with 81 per cent of members voting against the proposals, with a 71 per cent turnout.

BA has released the following statement:

"British Airways is saddened but not surprised that Unite has announced further plans for extensive disruption for potentially hundreds of thousands of our customers over a busy period that includes the May half-term holidays.

"This decision has no semblance of justification. Unite’s officials continue to operate in their own world, showing callous disregard for our customers and their own members in all parts of our airline. We have made a very fair offer, which meets the concerns the union raised during 14 months of negotiations and also ensures that our crew remain the best rewarded in the UK airline industry. That offer remains available.

"We are confident that many crew will again ignore Unite’s pointless strike call and support the efforts of the rest of the airline to keep our customers flying.

"Due to the excellent levels of support we have received from cabin crew based at Gatwick, all flights to and from Gatwick will continue to operate as normal. Flights at London City will also be unaffected.

"At Heathrow we plan to operate a substantial part of our longhaul schedule and there will be a number of daily flights to every destination across our shorthaul network.

"We are speaking to a number of carriers about leasing in extra aircraft to support our shorthaul schedule and also obtaining thousands of seats from other airlines to help our customers rebook if their original flight is cancelled.

"We will give more details four or five days before the strike is due to begin when we will announce the exact details of our revised Heathrow schedule."

Unite’s joint general secretaries Derek Simpson and Tony Woodley said: “Passengers and investors alike will be dismayed that British Airways' management rejected an approach by the union over the weekend, after their offer had been comprehensively turned down by their own employees.

“Cabin crew are left with no choice but to take further strike action. There can be no industrial peace without meaningful negotiations and while management victimises trade unionists and uses disciplinary procedures in a witch-hunt.

“The seven days notice period is sufficient time for BA management to do the sensible thing and reopen meaningful negotiations.”

Unite says it is also "intending to hold a further industrial action ballot of BA cabin crew over issues which have arisen from the company’s conduct during the dispute".

http://asia.businesstraveller.com/ne...w-strike-dates

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        Ooh they have the 9k join bonus again... nice campaign though
                        required return BD flight in certain timeframe
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                          This will probably destroy whatever fragments left of goodwill UNITE would've had with the travelling public.
                          Your statement is indeed a reflection of what I feel. In fact, I haven't had much charitable thoughts towards BA crew since the last incident.

I have booked myself on IB and LX for the next month, so I don't have to get into a panic over the strikes.

BA crew really need to get their heads screwed on. Everyone I know in the UK have had paycuts, reduced hours, pay rise below the rate of inflation, or lost their jobs. I have not had a pay rise for two years and I would be contractless in mid-summer. They are guaranteed a pay rise for the next two years, yet all they do is moan and go on strike!

I was on the first BA flight out from MAD a week ago. Some of the cabin crew flying back to LHR got emex seats. Their enormous hand-carrys and handbags were all safely loaded in the overhead cabins while numerous passengers had to checkin their hand-carry items because there was not enough overhead storage space.

One of the crew was so kiasu! She was pushing and shoving passengers out of the way until she reached the first two rows of economy where I was seated. I was feeling rather mean that morning, so I slammed my big and heavy rucksack into her face while she was trying to get in front of me.

I don't know if she's going to work or what. She and all the other crew were in such a rush to push all the paying passengers out of the way. I was ready to put her down if she had said something about being attacked by my bag.

I am after all, a paying passenger and a shareholder. I and all the other passengers are paying for her salary, allowances and flights. She and all the other crew should really get back into the queue!

Another perk that BA crew have... they're surely more important than first class passengers! Their checked in items come out way before all elite members, J passengers and F passengers!

Sorry for the rant.

Comment

Times like these makes one think of VS's slogan "No way, BA"... Had a bad incident on a SYD-SIN flight many years ago and I refuse to fly BA on a mid / long-haul ever since (intra-Europe I don't really care as there is hardly any service on most carriers anyway)...
                            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                              Your statement is indeed a reflection of what I feel. In fact, I haven't had much charitable thoughts towards BA crew since the last incident.

I have booked myself on IB and LX for the next month, so I don't have to get into a panic over the strikes.

BA crew really need to get their heads screwed on. Everyone I know in the UK have had paycuts, reduced hours, pay rise below the rate of inflation, or lost their jobs. I have not had a pay rise for two years and I would be contractless in mid-summer. They are guaranteed a pay rise for the next two years, yet all they do is moan and go on strike!

I was on the first BA flight out from MAD a week ago. Some of the cabin crew flying back to LHR got emex seats. Their enormous hand-carrys and handbags were all safely loaded in the overhead cabins while numerous passengers had to checkin their hand-carry items because there was not enough overhead storage space.

One of the crew was so kiasu! She was pushing and shoving passengers out of the way until she reached the first two rows of economy where I was seated. I was feeling rather mean that morning, so I slammed my big and heavy rucksack into her face while she was trying to get in front of me.

I don't know if she's going to work or what. She and all the other crew were in such a rush to push all the paying passengers out of the way. I was ready to put her down if she had said something about being attacked by my bag.

I am after all, a paying passenger and a shareholder. I and all the other passengers are paying for her salary, allowances and flights. She and all the other crew should really get back into the queue!

Another perk that BA crew have... they're surely more important than first class passengers! Their checked in items come out way before all elite members, J passengers and F passengers!

Sorry for the rant.

post deleted
                              Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X