X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JL may stop all international flights

Came across this recently but not sure if it was posted before:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/afp/2009123...l-7d7070a.html

A bit of a blow to those using OW if it really happens.
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

If that really happens it would be a huge blow to many of JAL's staff and those booked on JAL's international flights

Comment

Sad to hear, but it'd mean heaps more NH loving!

Comment

This is likely a political posturing. It ain't gonna happen.

JL may be downsized but Japanese government will not let it become a domestic only carrier. The government will keep two carriers operating international flights.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
          This is likely a political posturing. It ain't gonna happen.

JL may be downsized but Japanese government will not let it become a domestic only carrier. The government will keep two carriers operating international flights.
          Guess so but it's strange they let it went to the news... As Kyo said, it would mean better business for NH but it might also let them increase prices on their flights. I personally prefer NH, guess it's to do with gaining those *A miles

I feel like such a miles wh*re...
          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Agree with TerryK. Posturing.

I hear a lot that airlines are hamstrung by having to maintain domestic routes.

SQ's advantage is cited as having no domestic network.

So why would they give up their international routes?

Doesn't make sense.

Comment

Japanese government has now doubled JAL's credit line.

Comment

Can't be too auspicious for business if the FAs persist in wearing an expression befitting one's attendance at a wake!
                Last edited by phaleesy; 5 January 2010, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                  Japanese government has now doubled JAL's credit line.
                  Not really......the Developement Bank Of Japan (which is on the hook for other loans and loan guarantees to JL throughout the years) has said they will consider the governments request to increase a loan from 1 to 2 billion. That as JL has already used up over half the 1 billion they received in the summer. They still continue to lose buckets of cash. So it won't be 1+2 billion=3 billion....it might just be 2 billion. They will have to secure first pensioners OK for a trimming of their pensions of not less than 1/3 ! JL has been run so poorly for so many years it is not really surprising !

This is just a first step in a very big restructure....

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                    Can't be too auspicious for business if the FAs persist in wearing an expression befitting one's attendance at a wake!
                    Hmmmm ... I flew JL last week and again this morning - both flights were excellent (as per my experience with them in the past) and there were plenty of smiles from the FAs! Breakfast included some salmon which the menu says was delivered from Tsukiji.

OZ were excellent just now - the ssambab for lunch was delicious and fun to assemble myself (spooning some rice, beef bulgogi and bean paste on a pile of leaves and then wrapping each up).

Looking forward to CX next for some Chinese dinner and then finally today, BA for a bed!

Comment

They are now looking at filling for bankruptcy on the 19/1/2009 (JST). Looks to be a hybrid restructuring and "made in Japan solution". The last group to give the OK is the pensioners, and they vote on the 12th. They estimate it will take at the outside 3 years to work through all of JL's problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        Hmmmm ... I flew JL last week and again this morning - both flights were excellent (as per my experience with them in the past) and there were plenty of smiles from the FAs! Breakfast included some salmon which the menu says was delivered from Tsukiji.
                        Great crew too on my 3 JL flights last week (see trip report).

Comment

Had the most stuffy JL stewardess who asked the person next to me in no uncertain terms to return the standard white JL pen to her after she was done.

"After you finished............" *points to name badge*.. "you return the pen to me..... OK?"

And waited like a patient mother for a disobedient child (pax) to acknowledge.

Subsequently she disappeared somewhere else on the airplane and never came to that row in the aisle again. The pax was visibly a little perturbed and ultimately handed back the pen to another stewardess and told them it was for that particular stewardess.

Most unusual and I hope tonight's JL722 back will be a good one (my last JL SIN-KUL-SIN flight before this route gets canned, if that still goes ahead)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            return the standard white JL pen
                            Given the deep financial doo doo which JL is in, every little bit helps!

I've had the opposite. After completing yet another CX pax survey (presumably only given out to shiny happy people), I tried to return the cheap plastic pen but was told to keep it as it's mine. Oh, okay...

Comment

jhm, IIRC and they didn't changed, when CX asked you to fill a survey, the policy is to gift you the pen as form of compensation for the time you spent to let them know what you think.
                              There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                              If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Working...
                              X