Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas and Jetstar engineers + MEL/AVA security staff on strike

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225811146225

QANTAS faces industrial turmoil on two fronts over the Christmas-New Year period after security screeners in Melbourne yesterday voted overwhelmingly to take action next week and professional engineers started rolling five-day stoppages.

Security workers at Tullamarine and Avalon airports endorsed a range of options for industrial action after talks with security contractor MSS failed to resolve a dispute about pay and conditions.

The Liquor Hospitality and Miscellaneous Union state secretary Jess Walsh said the options ranged from bans on certain equipment such as X-ray machines to an indefinite stoppage and warned they could cause significant delays.

But Qantas said yesterday MSS had assured it that it had contingency plans that would minimise any disruption.

The Association of Professional Engineers, Scientists and Managers, Australia said discussions had stalled and the engineers had no choice but to ramp up their industrial action.

APESMA senior industrial officer Alison Rose said groups of engineers working at Qantas heavy maintenance facilities in Sydney, Brisbane and Avalon would stop work for periods of up to five business days throughout the rest of this month and into January.

Ms Rose said passengers would probably not see any impact from the action over Christmas but would see delays in January.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 December 2009, 07:09 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

These are the same engineers who IIRC were scaremongering before about shoddy maintenance in QF's facility in SIN ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      These are the same engineers who IIRC were scaremongering before about shoddy maintenance in QF's facility in SIN ?
      That's the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association. Not really sure what the difference between the 2 is but I think ALAEA represents Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers who're more like mechanics. Hopefully someone else can give a fuller explanation.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
      X