Jetstar Asia to fly to Tokyo Haneda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetstar Asia to fly to Tokyo Haneda

LOW-COST carrier Jetstar Asia is all ready to go bigger and further.

The airline, controlled by Qantas which also owns Jetstar in Australia, has applied for rights to fly twice daily to Haneda, Tokyo, using the wide-bodied Airbus 330 aircraft.

If all goes well, flights could start by end-2010, chief executive officer Chong Phit Lian said.

The airline currently operates a fleet of the smaller single-aisle A320s, flying to destinations within a five-hour radius of Singapore. Tokyo's Haneda is more than six hours away.

Ms Chong said: 'This is part of plans to go into the hong-haul market using Singapore as a hub.

Other low-cost carriers that have forayed into the long-haul market include Malaysia's AirAsia X.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_452497.html
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Haneda's much more accessible from central Tokyo compared to Narita. Now I just hope we get a late night departure from Tokyo to Singapore (arriving early next morning).

Comment

Interesting, I didn't realise Jetstar Asia was planning to add widebodies like its big brother Jetstar (australia). I wonder what other destinations they may be planning ex-SIN with 330 equipment, will be interesting to see whether S.E australia may be a destination
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
        I wonder what other destinations they may be planning ex-SIN with 330 equipment, will be interesting to see whether S.E australia may be a destination
        I doubt we would see destinations like SYD or MEL as they would not replicate QF routes. Instead, we might see Indian, China or probably Europe flights.

My Travel Map

Comment

Don't kill me, but I certainly hope that Jetstar Asia doesn't get the 2x daily slots it requests at the expense of SQ.

Pardon me for saying this, but these slots shouldn't go to a carrier with Australian ownership, what's more a rival of SQ.

There should be some protection of the rights of SQ, or at least something beneficial towards SQ should the rights be given to Jetstar Asia.

But does it make sense for 3K to fly 2x daily to Haneda? Can they carry that much traffic? Furthermore they don't target business passengers who are hard pressed for time. Perhaps 1x daily would be fine.

Meanwhile I hope SQ can be pro-active is securing a daily slot to Haneda.

Say no to Jetstar. Bottomline, it will hurt SIA and maybe force SIA to do more cost-cutting which isn't a good thing for pax.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
            There should be some protection of the rights of SQ, or at least something beneficial towards SQ should the rights be given to Jetstar Asia.

Say no to Jetstar. Bottomline, it will hurt SIA and maybe force SIA to do more cost-cutting which isn't a good thing for pax.
            Unfortunately that is not the Singapore Govt policy towards Changi and SQ. They have stated previously that they are more interested in protecting Changi as a regional and global hub than protecting SQ, who lets face it, are more than capable of looking after themselves.

Besides, after all the whining and campaigning done in the last few years to get SQ rights to fly SYD-LAX, they would look rather two faced if they did start trying to protect SQ.

Comment

Even if they did say no to Jetstar (which they likely won't anyway), will SQ want to do this route?

Comment

there should not be overly too much protectionism by the sin govt - as it needs to ensure Changi as a air hub in this region as its most critical - albeit fo course there are already some protection in place for SQ.
                The main thing is for the nett total increase in air traffic n pax/tourists coming in n out of changi. Doubt 3K will really do 2 x Haneda too.

Comment

It seemed that 3K has publicize the seeking of rights so as to "pressurize" the govt to allocate them the routes. The govt would not look good if they eventually refuse 3K the rights.

My Travel Map

Comment

Air Asia X have started to fight for the approvals to fly to Japan, Korea and Sydney - but the malaysian govt have chosen not to give the rights to them yet; and D7 will have extra capacity by end year as they are set to receive 2 or 3 A330s this month n dec and in the interim they fly daily to like taipei, melbourne and Abu Dhabi using their existing and upcoming A330s.

Comment

From what I understand, SQ has already been awarded the 14x rights to HND.

Comment

SIA to fly to Haneda in 2010

SINGAPORE - SINGAPORE Airlines (SIA) said on Wednesday it would start a twice daily service between the city-state and Tokyo's Haneda airport from October 2010 onwards.

'The new flights will cater for growth in demand and boost travel between Singapore and Japan for both business and tourism,' SIA said in a statement.

SIA said it was granted the permit for 14 weekly flights to Haneda airport by Singapore's Air Traffic Rights Committee.

The carrier currently flies twice daily to Tokyo's other airport Narita. It also has services to other Japanese cities including Fukuoka, Nagoya and Osaka. -- AFP

So who is getting the rights here?

My Travel Map

Comment

Egg on face?

Comment

Topic title should be changed.

Jetstar Asia won't be getting the rights after all to fly to Haneda as reported in The Straits Times today.

All the slots have been alloted to SQ.

However the Air Rights Committee have signalled that they are willing to grant access to 3K to fly to Narita though. 3K has no comment on that.
                            --------------------
                            I'm not sure if 3K will apply to fly to Narita though. They probably thought if they apply to fly 2x daily to Haneda, they will dominate the traffic to and fro there and dent/eat into SQ's market share flights to Tokyo. Narita will be too competitive for 3K to stand along with the high fees at the airport. There are 5 airlines flying directly to NRT now.

Flying to HND will indirect allow QF to have access to HND at the same time. All in all good move by SQ to apply for 2x daily HND to protect their market share and good sense of the Air Rights Committee not to award the rights to 3K.

Comment

Deleted
                              Last edited by Megatop; 17 November 2011, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X