KLM Resumes Service to DPS, BALI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KLM Resumes Service to DPS, BALI

I found this when I was trying to book KUL - CGK tonight. This is good news. At least it will provide us with more options to go to Bali from Singapore.

KLM resumes service to Denpasar, Bali

Amstelveen – 2009-02-10

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines will resume service between Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and Denpasar Ngura Rai Airport Bali effective 6 December. The service with be operated three times weekly. This marks the resumption of Amsterdam-Bali service, which was last operated on 15 October 1997.

The flight to Denpasar, with an intermediate landing in Singapore, will be operated with a Boeing 777-300. The aircraft can carry up to 425 passengers; 35 in World Business Class and 390 in Economy Class.

Flight KL835 will depart from Amsterdam at 21:00 on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays, arriving in Denpasar the following day at 20:10.
    The return flight, KL836, will depart from Denpasar at 21:30 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, arriving at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol at 08:00.

Bali is a popular destination among Dutch and other European holidaymakers. This is the main reason why KLM has resumed service to this destination. Together with the daily service to Jakarta, KLM will operate a total of 10 flights to Indonesia as of 6 December.

Reservations can be made as of 3 October. Passengers who book before 15 November will get a special introduction fare of EUR 599 per person.

For further informaion:KLM Media Relations, tel. +31 (0)20 – 649 45 45
    www.klm.com

I foresee SQ cutting some Bali flights or "outsourcing" some of the flights to Silkair. Competition is really heating up on the SIN-DPS route with the entry of Air Asia (2x daily, increasing to 3x daily soon), Jetstar/Valuair(8x a wk), Qatar Airways (daily? from next year), KLM (3x a wk) with the current operators Lionair (1x daily) and Garuda (2x daily).
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
      I foresee SQ cutting some Bali flights or "outsourcing" some of the flights to Silkair. Competition is really heating up on the SIN-DPS route with the entry of Air Asia (2x daily, increasing to 3x daily soon), Jetstar/Valuair(8x a wk), Qatar Airways (daily? from next year), KLM (3x a wk) with the current operators Lionair (1x daily) and Garuda (2x daily).
      Really? A couple of weeks ago almost all the SQ flights flights to DPS were near full with only full fare seats left, while there were sale seats still available on Air Asia and Jetstar; the flight timings for many of these flights are pretty abysmal - QR, KL, Valuair and Lionair all fly back in the middle of the night (or you could get up for the 6am Air Asia flight?), and the Lionair flight has been mysteriously cancelled for days on end

And frankly, shiny new planes or not, (a) would you fly on Garuda (or Lionair) and in fact (b) could you even buy a ticket, given they have next-to-zero GDS distribution and it's virtually impossible to buy Garuda flights online from anywhere?

I don't think SQ is quaking in its boots. Otherwise SIN-CGK would have been handed over to MI long ago (OMG, LH flies once a day - run for the hills!!!) - quite the reverse, in fact...

Comment

SQ's advantage is that it offers its customers a seamless connection between Europe / America and DPS, or v.v. I was in SQ Y from SIN-DPS late last year (downturn), and the flight had decent loads with lots of caucasians. Doubt there would be many passengers who would risk flying SQ to SIN, and then transferring to a budget airline to DPS immediately, unless of course they stay a day or two in SIN. Moreover, the extra cost of tagging on an extra segment to DPS on SQ would almost be the same cost as buying a seperate budget airline ticket?

Comment

I flew SINDPS return in August, the majority of passengers were German with a smattering of Russian in both directions.

Originally I was going to fly direct back to SYD via SIN, but thought a surprise stopover to see the other half was more than enough reason for me not to transit.

All I had to pay was $SGD24 which was the tax, it would have been $SGD74 (including $SGD50 re-ticketing but that was wonderfully waived by the phone agent) so adding that into my original fare it was still cheaper than flying into SIN and transferring onto an LCC..

Comment

I can echo good loads on SIN-DPS-SIN. I flew in the last week of Sep on a Sat each time and both inbound & outbound flights were jam packed to the last seat. This time with huge groups of French tourists in the back (all in their 50s to 60s I would reckon) who started a big pillow fight / throwing contest in the last 20min of the flight. Teenagers on a trip okay I can see it. Almost or already pensioners???Oh well I digress.

I agree that the timings of teh SQ flights are what keeps me coming back to SQ - well that and the 12,750 miles I need for a RT in Y which I consoder one of the few decent values in KF.

Comment

the SIA load on SIN - DPS - SIN is mainly feeder mostly from European or American. If you notice SIA has not even scale down their Indonesian flight (both to CGK to DPS), while it has scaled down their flight to KUL and BKK. SIA is still the preferred carrier by the Indon
              Last edited by lingua101; 16 October 2009, 01:57 PM.
              visit my blog

Comment

BTW, any idea why airlines flying SIN - DPS route rather than SIN - CGK route? QR has switched its SIN flight to fly DOH - SIN - DPS (instead of SIN - CGK). KL also used to fly AMS - SIN - CGK, which diverted to AMS - KUL - CGK. Seems SIN - DPS is more lucrative business than SIN - CGK?
                visit my blog

Comment

CGK should be more lucrative than DPS as it is a business destination and thus will generate higher yields compared to DPS. However, flying to CGK from SIN only once daily will make it harder for any airlines to compete with the likes of SQ and GA.

QR will indeed switch its tag-on from SIN to DPS in January 2010. I believe this is more to do with DPS via KUL is not working very well for QR and also CGK is now popular and lucrative enough to warrant a non-stop flight from DOH.

As for KLM, the change from SIN - CGK to KUL - CGK was only effective after it started the codeshare agreement with MH. For the SIN - DPS route that will soon be restarted, I believe this has more to do with DPS emergence as a popular tourist spot for the Europeans again and KLM sees enough feeder load that warrants a thrice weekly tag on from SIN.

Anyway, I am very happy for DPS to be reinstated after 12 years of break. Due to a strong historic bond between the Dutch and the Indonesian, KLM actually served SUB and MES (codeshare with GA) as well previously.

I am also very happy that I can soon start to collect those Blue Delft houses again on the way to and back from DPS. Tracking to KUL and then fly to CGK just for those little houses is a bit too inconvenience for me.
                  Last edited by UMD; 22 October 2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                    I am also very happy that I can soon start to collect those Blue Delft houses again on the way to and back from DPS. Tracking to KUL and then fly to CGK just for those little houses are a bit too inconvenience for me.
                    mileage run... status run... Blue Delft run...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                      mileage run... status run... Blue Delft run...
                      So many kind of run recently....

Comment

Actually, those blue delfts are quite collectible. I had about 4 or 5 from before, but I dunno where i put them. Kinda wish I knew where they were

Comment

To echo the sentiments of others here, my experience on SIN-DPS and back was both flights on SQ absolutely packed, also upfront. This is not the same as making money, but as SQ has a habit of doing that I think so

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                            So many kind of run recently....
                            sushi run....sqtalk TPP run (well, consider me crawling here).....and the list goes on.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            Actually, those blue delfts are quite collectible. I had about 4 or 5 from before, but I dunno where i put them. Kinda wish I knew where they were
                            I now also have only 4 left. I picked up the last one 2 weeks ago on my flight to CGK from KUL. I used to have at least 4 more during the day I was a Platinum with the now defunct "Worldperks" but I broke them when I used the "rum" inside for baking. I regret ever doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                              but I broke them when I used the "rum" inside for baking. I regret ever doing that.
                              Isn't there a way to not break the house, but to just open it? I thought so... and erm.. I think it's gin.

Comment

Working...
                              X