Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little help with cathay redemption please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little help with cathay redemption please?

I have diners club USA, I have olike 500,000 points they don't transfer to krisflyer.

They xfer to BA and CX just wondering does CX charges 360k miles on first class to go from LAX to Hong kong return? And is it easier to get sits?

I will enrol into CX FFP and xfer my miles in it. If they are just as expensive then maybe I will xfer it into starwood and then to KF.

I never sit on CX before and i am planing a Hong kong trip in the next month or 2. I checked commercial F class tickets are like 14k from LAX good god it's EXPENSIVE, I pay 9.5k Jakarta-sin-LAX-sin-jakarta F class on SQ.

CX is nuts

FYI it will cost you 180K miles on Asiamiles if you redeem a F class award seat on Asiamiles.

From what I see here anyway, you can't redeem onto Asiamiles, but on one of the other USA partner airlines, which is better cos it uses less miles than what Asiamiles wants anyway.

https://www.citibank.com/dinersus/js...egory=fc79feb6

If you use BA miles, it will only cost you 150K miles to anywhere in asia on CX or JL in First Class, and if you redeem on AAdvantage, it will only cost you 125K miles to HK, and 135K to say SIN, also on either CX or JL.

If you redeem under Alaska's Mileage Plan, its 140K miles on CX to anywhere in Asia. (Mind you, on Alaska's programme, its 140K in F class all the way from LAX to South Africa via HK even)

Availability will be no different than on Asiamiles. Plan your travel dates far far ahead and be flexible in your travel plans and you'll be fine. Since you said that you want to travel next month.. I'd say plan it ahead for the next trip maybe.

IMO and I will be shot for saying this, but I find CX F , seat wise, better than SQ F. Service and food is also better than SQ. But do you know that you do not need 'extra miles' for redeeming to sit on CX F even on Asiamiles versus Krisflyer? Cos SQ Krisflyer charges extra for you to have the privilege to sit on the 77W's F class.

So lets just say you want to fly from LAX to HKG on CX or LAX to SIN on SQ in the best F class seats.
    On Asiamiles, you'll need 180K miles. On SQ, you will need 972,000 miles !!! Cos SQ only charges full awards for these seats.

My suggestion is that you dump your miles under AAdvantage cos that programme allows you to mix and match oneway awards and it won't charge you any fuel surcharge whereas on BA's executive club, you will be charged for fuel surcharges.

FYI - CX F class is not that expensive if you go through a TA. Don't look at expedia or travelocity. You also cannot compare ex-JKT fares with ex-LAX fares!
    FYI 2 - why do you want to trasnfer to Starwood to transfer to Krisflyer? Krisflyer is a horrible programme for miles. If you transfer to Aeroplan, ie Air Canada's FFP, you can redeem a LAX-ASIA via the Atlantic for something like 160K F class on any *A airline.
    Last edited by Guy Betsy; 3 October 2009, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I am not the knowledgable about redeeming... I hardly redeem miles.

Well thanks for the advice!!! will get AA and dump my miles into and get CX first to HK! I never been on cathy before would be a fun experience!

Comment

How was your CX F flight?

Comment

Working...
        X