The Qantas Anni Horribilis Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
    REALLY?! OH MY GOD! THAT'S SOOO COOL! You are?? WOW! Well, after reading a lot on this forum, I knew that you know a lot and very involved with Qantas. But I didn't know you were part of the commercial. I must admit that they do a good job with their ads (I think I've commented on this before).
    You might have missed the tongue-in-cheek smiley in phaleesy's post.

I am not involved with Qantas Airways Ltd in any way, shape or form other than as a loyal pax. Well, as loyal as I can be whilst refusing to credit anything to QFF. I am however looking at their graduate program but it isn't likely that I'd be their ideal candidate since I don't have a financial or engineering background.

Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
    Anyways, back to the topic- is Qantas doing really bad financially to allow problems after problems to happen to them?
    They've reported a 44.1% jump in profits in the first half of the year. This was then followed by a 47% decline in the second half, which is in line with industry trends (SQ registered a 36% decline, BA approximately 90%, and CX turned a massive loss).

Their forward bookings during the low/shoulder season next yr musn't be looking too good as they have a 241 sale going on for that period.

So whilst the negative media attention must have contributed to QF's decline in fortunes, I reckon the global economic crisis and fuel bills (remember the airlines hedged their fuel purchases and so the decrease in the price of fuel doesn't automatically ease the squeeze, apparently Cathay has really screwed up on this front) are bigger attributes.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 November 2008, 04:57 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Qantas jets collide whilst being towed on tarmac

Qantas jets collide on tarmac

MELBOURNE - A QANTAS jetliner that was damaged by a mid-air explosion in July collided on Tuesday with another of the airline's planes on an Australian airport tarmac, airline officials said.

Both Boeing 747 jets were damaged when they ran into each other while being towed at the Qantas maintenance base at Avalon Airport outside Melbourne, Qantas general manager of engineering David Cox said in a statement. No passengers were aboard.

Television news footage showed that the nose of one of the jets hit the left wing of the other. The nose cone caved in and the wing had a large dent.

'Both aircraft sustained some damage, and the extent of this is being assessed', Mr Cox said.

The maintenance staff involved had been suspended from duty pending a full inquiry, he said. Qantas has not said how many personnel were involved.

On July 25, an oxygen tank exploded aboard one of the jets, ripping a hole in the fuselage and causing rapid cabin decompression as the plane flew over the South China Sea.

None of the 365 people aboard was injured and the pilot safely made an emergency landing in Manila in the Philippines.

The jet was repaired in Manila and only returned to Australia last week, a spokesman said, on the company's usual condition of anonymity.

It was undergoing final maintenance work at Avalon, Qantas' maintenance base for 747s in Australia before returning to service, the spokesman said.

The collision is the latest in a series of accidents and malfunctions in recent months that have embarrassed Australia's' flagship carrier and have raised questions about its maintenance standards. -- AP

Comment

• More balanced article here, minus the sensationalism:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

Towed Qantas planes collide at Avalon Airport

A QANTAS 747 involved in the Manila mid-air explosion has crashed into another jumbo while being towed at Avalon Airport.

The planes were being towed at the carrier’s Australian heavy maintenance base at Avalon Airport when they crashed into each other about 9.30am today (AEDT), the Herald Sun reported.

The jet involved in the Manila emergency in July had been close to being ready to fly again.

Qantas general manager of engineering David Cox said workers involved in the incident had been stood down “pending a full investigation”.

The company has not revealed the extent of the damage, but both jets have been grounded, and television pictures showed one plane had suffered damage to its wingtip.

Mr Cox confirmed one of the planes involved in the mishap was the same jet which suffered a mid-air explosion at 29,000 feet before making a forced landing at Manila airport in the Phillipines.

“Two Boeing 747 aircraft at our Avalon maintenance base have come into contact with each other during towing this morning,” Mr Cox said.

“Both aircraft sustained some damage and the extent of this is being assessed.”

The other 747 had been undergoing heavy maintenance at the time.
        Every cloud has a silver lining - am advised that for anyone flying to LAX tomorrow your ride is now an A380!
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 November 2008, 02:53 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          You might have missed the tongue-in-cheek smiley in phaleesy's post.
          Oh my... *blush* I totally missed it, the "BUT" in capital letters was such an attention grabber I didn't even think twice. Ignore my last post, then... It would be cool though if you really were the lead vocalist..

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          They've reported a 44.1% jump in profits in the first half of the year. This was then followed by a 47% decline in the second half, which is in line with industry trends (SQ registered a 36% decline, BA approximately 90%, and CX turned a massive loss).

Their forward bookings during the low/shoulder season next yr musn't be looking too good as they have a 241 sale going on for that period.

So whilst the negative media attention must have contributed to QF's decline in fortunes, I reckon the global economic crisis and fuel bills (remember the airlines hedged their fuel purchases and so the decrease in the price of fuel doesn't automatically ease the squeeze, apparently Cathay has really screwed up on this front) are bigger attributes.
          Then why isn't Qantas making the "don't screw up policy" a bigger priority for them so at least they don't start losing loyal fliers away? Arrgh, I feel bad for them that their issues are reported in the media now almost on a bi-monthly basis...

Comment

Then why isn't Qantas making the "don't screw up policy" a bigger priority for them so at least they don't start losing loyal fliers away? Arrgh, I feel bad for them that their issues are reported in the media now almost on a bi-monthly basis...
            I'm not too sure if it's even that big a factor. A lot of the media attention is really lacking in perspective. And no doubt it's doing some damage to the credibility of the Qantas brand. But I reckon the general public is more clued up than we think. A recent opinion poll showed that 63% of the public nominated Qantas as their preferred carrier, which is actually a higher figure than a year ago when that takeover farce by American private equity firms was occuring. There were, perhaps irrational, fears that QF would cease being Australian etc etc and the media backlash to that did more damage to their brand than all of this year's incidents and the engineering strikes combined. And QF actually responded to that with a huge PR campaign reaffirming their commitment to Australia.

The QF 2007 "Commitment" campaign hastily put together in response to the massive fallout from APA's takeover bid:

The main ad:
            http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvQ6i...eature=related

Regional Oz:
            http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=yrmIzsyq9P8

Fleet:
            http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=OqeyhZ...eature=related

[There were also a few others with varying themes]

Yet you don't see them doing anything about their current predicament.

Someone close to me has a fear of flying but yet insists on flying Qantas for his 'practise flights' (he does a short haul trip every week in an attempt to get over his fear). If he was frightened away by the media beat up it evidently doesn't show. I actually had to calm him down after he found out that we aren't flying QF for our Easter trip.

Personally, I operate on the 'cr*p happens' principle. I seem to have a habit of flying on airlines right after incidents occur with the same airlines. But I was perfectly comfortable flying SQ the day after SQ006, or the SQ744 AKL tail scrape incident when the aircraft nearly stalled in mid air, and a day after BA38, and most recently 2 days after the QF30 decompression. And SR111 the day before!! I truly believe that if my time has come, then my time has come.

But if I were to choose an airline based solely on safety and maintenance i'd be hard pressed to do a lot better than Qantas.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 November 2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• Has anyone seen the video? Was told that there was a video on smh but it's no longer there.

Comment

• These QF incidents lately reminded me of the unfortunate period when SQ suffered several unfortunate incidents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                  Has anyone seen the video? Was told that there was a video on smh but it's no longer there.
                  Video from SKY News. Just a news report with some pictures of the damage on the wing tip, no actual video of the incident.

http://media.theage.com.au/?category...News&rid=43828

Comment

• We really must consolidate these QF threads...
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Oh my... *blush* I totally missed it, the "BUT" in capital letters was such an attention grabber I didn't even think twice.
                      Must be one of the tricks in tabloid reporting.

Comment

• Not sure if this can be deemed as contributing to annus horribilis exactly, but indeed newsworthy!

Source: The Age
                        Qantas worker charged over great lobster swindle

Mex Cooper
                        November 19, 2008 - 11:51AM

Alleged thieves with gourmet tastes have been charged with stealing lobsters and chocolates from Qantas' catering supplies.

The Australian Federal Police have accused a Qantas worker and a truck driver of working together to rip off the airline of more than $7000 worth of seafood, rice and chocolates.

Qantas tipped off the AFP last month after food was noticed missing from a storage area at Sydney Airport.

On November 2, the AFP stopped a 46-year-old truck driver as he left Qantas' catering facility and seized 71 lobster tails, 60 kilograms of white shrimp, 10 kilograms of tiger prawns, 30 kilograms of scallops, 20 kilograms of Basmati rice, 30 kilograms of Cadbury chocolate and 8 kilograms of Toblerone chocolate from the back of his vehicle.

The driver from Campsie, in Sydney's south-west, worked for a local supplier to Qantas and will appear in Waverley Local Court today charged with larceny and receiving goods.

The Qantas staffer, from Bexley in Sydney's south, will appear in court on November 29 charged with two counts of stealing property.

Comment

• Many Many Thanks for the consolidation!!

NINE PAGES already?! QF is having a tough year...
                          HUGE AL

Comment

• Mr Cox confirmed one of the planes involved in the mishap was the same jet which suffered a mid-air explosion at 29,000 feet before making a forced landing at Manila airport in the Phillipines.

Third time "Lucky"?

They really should consider getting rid of that one, somebody put a HooDoo on it by the looks of it. Probably a disgruntled passenger after the IFE failed.

Comment

• More sensational reporting?

Source: The Age
                              Qantas' regional fleet hits trouble
                              Andrea Petrie
                              November 20, 2008

QANTAS was forced to deal with another drama last night when about 100 of the airline's passengers were stranded at Launceston and Melbourne airports.

Passengers on QantasLink flight QF 2286 were forced to wait for several hours after a damaged door led to the cancellation of the 5pm Melbourne-bound flight.

Passengers were told the de Havilland DHC-8, or Dash-8, plane was deemed unfit to fly and alternative flights had to be arranged.

One passenger, Deborah, whose direct flight to Brisbane with Qantas had already been cancelled, said many passengers would miss connecting flights. "It's just a massive inconvenience and I'm not feeling very happy about it," she said.

She said passengers were given a $15 meal voucher, which could not be spent on alcohol, as they sat around and waited for five or more hours for the rescheduled flights.

Accommodation was also organised for those who had missed their connecting flights, at the airline's expense.

And the last Launceston-bound flight from Melbourne, QF 2289, which was supposed to leave at 7.10pm, was also cancelled.

A Qantas spokeswoman said the cancellation was "due to a passenger inadvertently damaging the aircraft door during disembarkation of the inbound flight".

"As a result, the aircraft could not operate the return sector (and) we have reaccommodated passengers on other services," she said.

The later cancellation was a direct result of the earlier problem, she said.

In a separate incident, a QantasLink regional service with 39 people on board made an emergency landing at Brisbane Airport on Tuesday night after smoke filled the cockpit.

The Dash-8 aircraft, flying from central Queensland, touched down at 7.20pm with emergency crews on standby.

The incident came a month after a Qantas plane lost control and nosedived off Western Australia, injuring 44 passengers and crew en route from Singapore to Perth on October 7.

In July, a Qantas flight from London to Melbourne that was carrying 346 passengers made an emergency landing after an oxygen cylinder exploded.

Comment

• Sometimes, I felt like Australian media is running out of sensational news to sell their papers.

Comment

Working...
                                X