The Qantas Anni Horribilis Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this one.

As amusing as the incident is though, the tone of the delivery of this report and lumping it in with the QF30 incident shows how lacking in perspective some journos are!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/to...911468165.html
    Ewwwww.. hahaha
    Life's A Bitch,
    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      3rd hand anecdotal evidence, but apparently the flight deck had considered ditching the aircraft...

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...tml#post185049
      I'm no pilot but would expect the pilots to run through the possibilities.

Comment

I can tell you by on experience, this is not funny at all! Not for the passengers and not for the crew. Been there, done that and burned the t-shirt!

It happens on all the airlines, not only on Qantas.

Comment

And Qantas admits that all these mishaps have damaged its reputation:

"Qantas has admitted negative publicity surrounding a series of maintenance mishaps has "not insignificantly" damaged its brand, and the effects could be permanent."

Comment

This IS the KeithMEL airline of choice...his "roo." Scary Scary!
            HUGE AL

Comment

Qantas mid air drama

Hope no serious injuries....

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...145345200.html

Comment

Sounds nasty - clear air turbulence?

"keep your seatbelts firmly fastened whenever you're seated even if the seatbelt sign is off..."
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Apparently because of "sudden change of altitude" according to ATSB guy on Sky.

Said could be either weather or problem with control of plane! - Wonder how much this guy gets paid?

Comment

It's turning into a bit of an Annus Horribilis for QF.

Just shows the value of having seatbelts fastened at all times. We were flying LGW-BGI a couple of weeks ago and about an hour into the flight there was a 'bang' and the aircraft 'jumped'. I have to say it worried me for a minute, as much flying as I do. The captain came straight on to apologise and say we had crossed the wake vortex of another aircraft.

The missus wasn't impressed, neither was my sister who doesn't like flying at the best of times. When I asked 'enjoy that sis ?', she swore at me.

Comment

Seems like turbulence is generating huge popularity!

China Airlines had 2 cases of mid-air turbulence just recently too!

Comment

Apart from it being a story affecting QF (much loved by the press recently it seems), I can't see why it's newsworthy (even if some people were injured but fortunately not very seriously) - turbulence affects all airlines.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          Apart from it being a story affecting QF (much loved by the press recently it seems), I can't see why it's newsworthy (even if some people were injured but fortunately not very seriously) - turbulence affects all airlines.
                          At the moment they are not sure that it's turbulence, that's just speculation. Mayday was actually declared and it is not clear what caused the diversion. The only thing that's clear is that a diversion was made and people were injured - whether one caused the other or indeed what the actual cause of the 'sudden plunge' was isn't clear.

The best analogy of the Australian media's relationship with QF would be the relationship between The Daily 'Hate' Mail and BA. However this story is more newsworthy than the post QF30 Incident media feeding frenzy the last couple of months about parts needing replacement, hydraulic leaks etc - IMHO anyway. I almost couldn't sleep when my flight yesterday, which had a defective air conditioning pack which needed fixing prior to departure, didn't make it on to any (No)News Ltd publications or broadcasts.

More details here:
                          http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...145345200.html

edited to add: of course if it's indeed clear air turbulence, then I take back my words. In relation to 'newsworthy', whatever sells the papers i guess...
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 7 October 2008, 10:08 PM. Reason: wording
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Are you serious ?.

If the reports are correct ; people hitting the cabin roof, 36 people injured, 12 seriously, mayday declared and an emergency landing. And you don't think it's newsworthy ?!.

You got a lot on at the moment ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              If the reports are correct ; people hitting the cabin roof, 36 people injured, 12 seriously, mayday declared and an emergency landing. And you don't think it's newsworthy ?!.
                              Well but the media simply reports on ANY kind of incident involving QF as if their planes were going down- for example I remember the time when one B737 couldn't close its landing gear doors and had to return to MEL.

Usually nothing of great importance but the media reported as if the pax had been endangered by it
                              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                Are you serious ?.

If the reports are correct ; people hitting the cabin roof, 36 people injured, 12 seriously, mayday declared and an emergency landing. And you don't think it's newsworthy ?!
                                From the BBC:

Three cabin crew and more than 30 passengers sustained injuries, 15 of them serious, including fractures and lacerations, officials said.
                                Maybe it's me but if a coach crashed on the M1 motorway due to a storm, people hit the seats in front and 30-40 people were injured (some with injuries as serious as lacerations and broken bones), I wouldn't consider it newsworthy enough to appear in the UK national press.

Comment

Working...
                                X