Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA proposes commercial alliance with AZ

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081108...panybaalitalia

The chief executive of British Airways has expressed strong interest in a commercial alliance with Alitalia, the Financial Times reported Saturday.

"We believe we have made a very credible and potentially exciting proposition for the new company (Alitalia)," Willie Walsh told the daily business newspaper.
    Interesting...
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Is this BA's strategy to ring-fence *A in Europe? Or just a grab for the premium flyers to and from Italy (paging LukeGT)? Very interesting.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...05172,00.html?
      (Subscription only, or free after 6pm Singapore time)

Alitalia crew protests cause flight delays, cancellations

ROME - Scores of Alitalia flights were cancelled or delayed on Monday due to protests by pilots and cabin crew opposing new labour contracts proposed by an Italian investor group taking over the ailing airline.

Around 95 flights were or were expected to be cancelled by 2200 GMT at Rome-Fiumicino airport, while 37 flights were called off at Milan's two airports, according to airport news agency Telenews.

Another 50 Alitalia flights were delayed on average by one hour with the longest delays reaching two hours due to a union general assembly.

At the same time, around 100 Alitalia employees spontaneously formed a 'battle committee' independent of official union representation and called for an immediate strike to start at 1700 GMT (1am Tuesday Singapore time), Telenews added.

Five unions representing most of Alitalia's pilots and cabin staff have refused to sign the labour contracts offered by CAI, a group of businessmen who have made a bid to take over the airline.

The rebel unions, also known as the 'no front', have called a strike for November 25 and have threatened several more walkouts.

Other main union organisations have signed CAI's contract.

Under the takeover deal, pilots and flight attendants may be rehired on an individual basis instead of according to procedures agreed with each group. Many of Alitalia's long-term employees have rejected the scheme.

The Italian government has warned that pilots refusing to work for CAI will lose the right to benefits.

'CAI can't give up our pilots. It wants to make people believe it can run the company without pilots, flight assistants and ground staff, but it can't,' said Fabio Berti, head of Anpac, the main union for pilots.

CAI says it will hire pilots from budget airline Ryanair to make up numbers if Alitalia pilots resign.

The Italian group has offered to pay 375 million euros (US$480 million) for the bankrupt carrier's assets and take on debt worth over 625 million euros.

Alitalia is losing about three million euros a day and has debts totalling some 1.2 billion euros. -- AFP

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        Is this BA's strategy to ring-fence *A in Europe? Or just a grab for the premium flyers to and from Italy (paging LukeGT)? Very interesting.
        They don't have to grab anything.
        I'm already loyal to BA. I really consider BA the best option from if I have to fly a european/us carrier.

I never would like to see BA takingover AZ since it would mean BA standard to be lower.
        The only positive thing would be to have AZ miles converted into BAmiles.
        There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
        If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Anyway, *CAUTION* to all PASSENGERS travelling to/from Italy in the next days, even if flying other carriers.

Unexpected, not announced and sudden strikes or work unions' demonstrations could affect (e.g. strong delays/cancellations) your flight, particularly to/from FCO-MXP-LIN.
          There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
          If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

[devil's advocate]Or alternatively, could a BAed AZ feature heightened standards of service?[/devil's advocate]
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 November 2008, 12:34 PM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
            X