Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas grounds jets, cuts services/jobs

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/q...654109671.html

Reflecting moves by several US airlines to ground some aircraft rather than fly on uneconomic routes, Qantas has announced its plans to exit several low-yielding routes, including the Sydney-Gold Coast route in order to cut costs.

The airline said the domestic cuts equate to the grounding of six jets.

Within a week, Qantas said it will follow through with extra cuts to its international network.

Qantas plans to "ground" two Boeing 767s, retire one ageing 737 and speed up the retirement of its fuel-guzzling fleet of four 747-300s.
    http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...08/may08/Q3768

Mr Dixon said the Qantas Group would manage the reduction in ASKs by:

* retiring one B737 aircraft;
    * grounding two B767 aircraft and one Jetstar A320 aircraft;
    * cancelling the delivery of one Jetstar A321 aircraft;
    * accelerating the retirement of its four B747-300 aircraft, currently operating trans-continental services to Perth, by December; and
    * adjusting the flying patterns of other aircraft, including reducing the utilisation of the B747-400 fleet.

In the domestic market, Mr Dixon said:

* Qantas would exit its Gold Coast-Sydney and Ayers Rock-Melbourne routes and reduce Ayers Rock-Sydney services from August;
    * Jetstar would exit its Sydney-Whitsunday Coast, Adelaide-Sunshine Coast, and Brisbane-Hobart routes from July; and
    * Jetstar would reduce services on some Adelaide, Avalon and Cairns routes by August.

"Qantas remains a fundamentally strong company, with a good balance sheet and a commitment to investment that includes a $35 billion order for aircraft," Mr Dixon said.

"We must make these hard decisions now, however, if we are to ensure the ongoing strength of Qantas, preserve the jobs of the vast majority of our current workforce, and position ourselves for growth when the trading environment improves."

He said that the magnitude of the changes would require a reduction in staff numbers.

"This week we will launch an accelerated leave program to mitigate the requirement for redundancies, but it is inevitable that a reduction in staff numbers will be necessary in selected parts of our business," Mr Dixon said.

"As always, we will communicate with our people. In the first instance, redundancies will be carried out on a voluntary basis."

Mr Dixon said that in addition:

* the pay for all of the company's senior executive group would be frozen; and
    * the normal July pay review for the remaining 1,000 executives would be deferred.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Qantas is willing to give up Ayers Rock-Melbourne and give a monopoly to Tiger?
    Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Changes to international services have just been announced:

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...008/jun08/3771

Mr Dixon said the changes to the Japan schedule included:
      * the withdrawal of Qantas' thrice-weekly Melbourne-Tokyo (Narita) A330 return services from September 2008;
      * a reduction in Qantas' Sydney-Tokyo (Narita) A330 return services from nine to seven return services per week from September 2008;
      * Jetstar's withdrawal from the Cairns-Osaka-Nagoya route from December 2008;
      * the replacement of Qantas' 14 weekly B767 Cairns-Tokyo (Narita) services with a daily Jetstar non-stop A330 two-class service from December 2008; and
      * the introduction of new Gold Coast-Tokyo (Narita) services five times per week, operated by Jetstar with two-class A330s from December 2008, in addition to Jetstar's daily Sydney-Gold Coast-Osaka services.

To support the schedule changes, Jetstar would need to free up A330 aircraft and, as a result, would:
      * withdraw from its Sydney-Kuala Lumpur operation to make available an A330 aircraft; and
      * replace its existing three weekly A330 services that operated between Sydney and Ho Chi Minh City with five A320 return services on the new route of Sydney-Darwin-Ho Chi Minh City from September 2008.

He said Jetstar would also replace Qantas on:
      * the Perth-Denpasar route, with up to four Jetstar A320 services taking over from Qantas' B737-800 services from December 2008; and
      * Perth-Jakarta, with three Jetstar A320 return services per week replacing the existing three Qantas B737-800 services from December 2008.

He said in addition to the Asian flight changes, Qantas would reduce its B747-400 Sydney-Los Angeles services from 17 to 15 per week, following the commencement of A380 flights on the route at the end of the year.

"Using the larger A380s on a spread of our USA services will enable us to grow Melbourne-Los Angeles capacity and maintain our total current capacity levels from Australia to the USA."
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 5 June 2008, 04:32 PM. Reason: missed bit of media release
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

HNL survives another day.

Comment

I read UA and CO were doing some of the same too. Not a particularly good industry to be in at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            I read UA and CO were doing some of the same too. Not a particularly good industry to be in at the moment
            BA too including - so the rumour goes - a high profile route...

Comment

Working...
            X