• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for best to fly Ozz to NZ

Im going to Ozz end of summer and was looknig to Fly from
    Sydney to Auckland
    Auckland to Cairns
    Cairns to Melbourne
    Melbourn Sydney (might drive this bit though)

Which would be best Qantas or Air Newzealand?

Had alook at Virgine Blue but this times are bad and need changes in Brisbain for some flights

Who would you go with?

Thanks skooby

Depends on what you are after (direct vs non-direct, longhaul vs shorthaul product, frequency or not, etc), what class of travel you want and so forth.

SYD-AKL you have a choice of NZ (mostly 767 with odd A320 also), QF (all 767 domestic configuration), EK (A380 from next Feb!), LA (A340), AR (uggg), DJ.

AKL-CNS you have a choice of NZ (but only a few days a week and is either 767 or A320), QF (connect through BNE or SYD, both connections are a pain unless you take the super early flight and connect to the early SYD-CNS flight from international terminal), or DJ (via BNE).

CNS-MEL QF, DJ or JQ

MEL-SYD QF, DJ or JQ (perhaps TR also?)

If you give more info on what you are looking for, and class of travel etc then can help with more advice and information.

Comment

Thanks Kiwi

We we only going to go Y on all the flights though we are taking a SQ buisness class flight to Ozz

WE werer going to stay a week in Auckland then a week in Cairns and an other week in Melbourne would prefere direct flight.

Thought about getting a NZ pass but they dont flly internaly in OZZ

Thanks skooby

Comment

On Y I would avoid EK and AR.

LA is okay (nice IFE). QF and NZ are similar for SYD-AKL (and both lots of flights).

For AKL-CNS I would take NZ unless the schedule doesn't work for you (due to the connection hassle on QF and NZ usually cheaper than QF).

MEL-SYD is a short flight so doesn't make much difference.

NB for domestic Australia flights QF includes food & drink in the price but JQ does not. JQ uses AVV instead of MEL (except for flights to major cities SYD & BNE) - AVV is a lot more expensive to get to/from the city centre than MEL.

Comment

I'd sign up to the fare alerts and look out for the QF sales, at times you can get some pretty good deals.

SYD-AKL in whY would be best on EK imo product wise, even if they're using the 773. You get better IFE than QF or NZ. EK's catering is also far better than QF's or NZ's on this segment. However one way pricing on QF or NZ could be cheaper. I've never been on LA or AR so can't comment on those.

AKL-CNS - agree with Kiwi, go NZ for the direct flight.

DJ and QF fares on CNS-MEL are very similar. JQ is cheaper. JQ flies into Tulla for the CNS flight so no worries about schlepping out to AVV there. You do, however, get complimentary meal and drinks on QF.

TT doesn't fly MEL-SYD, whilst JQ flies into AVV. Mid-week minis on DJ are cheap, but otherwise you can get QF for $99 all-in on sale fares. Again, complimentary meal and drinks on QF - complimentary alcohol weekdays after 1600.

DJ has a nice lounge ("The Lounge") at SYD which you can pay $30 to use if flying DJ. Not sure if they've built one in CNS.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 May 2008, 01:26 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

THanks for the reply will look onto your sugestion

Skooby

Comment

QF domestic sales now on:

Celebrate the Queen's Birthday long weekend and book a trip to see some of Australia's greatest cities with Qantas, on sale now until midnight (AEST) Thursday 12 June 2008.

For departures between 23 July and 18 September 2008.
              SYD-MEL can be had for $99 all in. [+$4 credit card surcharge...]
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
              X