Cathay Pacific loses 5 Star Ranking for lounges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cathay Pacific loses 5 Star Ranking for lounges

CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS lounges drop in Quality Ranking as SKYTRAX report on a fall in Product and Service standards across the airline's home base airport facilities in Hong Kong

"What was once a Benchmark for other airlines to set their standards against when planning lounge facilities has now fallen in quality. Staff service is far from 5 Star any more, and even the lounge amenities are tired and poorly presented" according to Skytrax.

After many years at, or near the top of the global Airline Lounge league table, Cathay Pacific First and Business Class lounge facilities at Hong Kong Airport have received a downgrading in the latest SKYTRAX 2008 ranking review.

Commenting on the review, SKYTRAX point out that whilst these Cathay Pacific lounge facilities in Hong Kong rate at a good standard, they have failed to keep pace with the changes and innovations introduced by other airlines in recent years - and this is clear factor behind rating on some aspects falling from 5 Star to a 3 Star level.

The quality of staff service is another pointer as to where standards have not kept pace say Skytrax. "Whether looking at the First or Business Class sections of these lounges, we simply do not see anything that matches up to a true 5 Star service standard" reports Edward Plaisted, Skytrax CEO. "Functional is probably one of the most suitable descriptions at this time, and this does underline a slow and steady decline in Cathay Pacific lounge ranking."

Worn and tatty seating, overcrowded, messy carpets / tables and lack of attention to real cleanliness are a sure sign of standards on the slide say Skytrax.

According to Peter Miller of Skytrax ... "We look for something of a 'WOW' factor in today's 5 Star lounges, and there is really nothing across these Cathay Pacific facilities which we believe warrants that. Factor in a decline in staff service attention and general service attitude, and we have to conclude that other airlines have moved ahead of Cathay Pacific in this category at present."

Many will remember when the lounges were unveiled 10 years ago how Cathay Pacific sought to set a new benchmark in airline lounge amenities and staff service - and was able to achieve this then. It is however the pace of change and innovation by other airlines since which has served to undermine the Cathay Pacific ranking.

As pointed out by Edward Plaisted, the 5 Star rating "is not about having the biggest or most equipped lounge .... we are concerned about the combined package on offer. Clean, comfortable facilities and amenities that combine with a truly special level of staff service are the core ingredients behind the 5 Star status - and on several counts we find that these CX lounges are not meeting the mark".

---

I've been lurking with this very good forum for a week now, and so I've decided to register.

Welcome to SQTalk, Kebaya!

Comment

I'd be interested to know which lounges share the 4-star ranking of the CX lounges (or what CX did to tick the Skytrax reviewer off ). IMO, the CX lounges at HKG are still fantastic, although I admit they do get very crowded before the midnight-ish flights to LHR. The lounges help make transiting at HKG a pleasure.

Welcome to SQTalk, kebaya.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 18 May 2008, 10:53 PM. Reason: wording
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I've always thought Skytrax metodology is definitely not perfect.
        This is the reason why some award and ranks seem to me not reliable.

Maybe CX lounges are not the nr.1 in the world but they still stand among the higher group.

I can think of LH FCT/FCL, TG F, VSCH and maybe MH F some of the few lounge which are substantially better, but not many others (definitely not EK). QR lounge in Doha is potentially a very good lounge but not currently.
        There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
        If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

During peak hour, in addition to CX pax, they can be slammed by refugees from QF and BA flights. The CX lounges were built pre-oneworld and hence weren't conceived to contain so many pax.

Apart from the overcrowding I agree with the general observation that the CX lounges are still amongst the greats in the world of airline lounges. A little too sedate for my liking in terms of decor, compared to QF's F offerings and NZ lounges in SYD/MEL and the LHR VSCH - but the amenities are top notch.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            During peak hour, in addition to CX pax, they can be slammed by refugees from QF and BA flights. The CX lounges were built pre-oneworld and hence weren't conceived to contain so many pax.

Apart from the overcrowding I agree with the general observation that the CX lounges are still amongst the greats in the world of airline lounges. A little too sedate for my liking in terms of decor, compared to QF's F offerings and NZ lounges in SYD/MEL and the LHR VSCH - but the amenities are top notch.
            Let's not forget that a Dragonair lounge pass will also get you admission into either The Wing or The Pier..

IMO, these two lounges are still fantastic.
            zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              I'd be interested to know which lounges share the 4-star ranking of the CX lounges (or what CX did to tick the Skytrax reviewer off ). IMO, the CX lounges at HKG are still fantastic, although I admit they do get very crowded before the midnight-ish flights to LHR. The lounges help make transiting at HKG a pleasure.

Welcome to SQTalk, kebaya.
              what is crazy is that they actually dropped them to a 3-star ranking! to me, 3 stars denotes average... there is no way that the pier and wing are merely average. i still believe that the number of lounges that are better can be counted on one hand with fingers left over. to me, this reeks of some sort of personal bias.

Comment

I didn't have a good read and had thought that the Wing/Pier was merely demoted a level when I initially replied -- but 3 stars????

I'm with you there taipeiflyer. I'd thought that Skytrax lacked credibility before due to their questionable methodologies and obvious conflicts of interest. Now they've really shown themselves up to be a real farce.

Maybe someone at CX forgot to send their annual cheque to Skytrax?
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 20 May 2008, 12:53 AM.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                  to me, this reeks of some sort of personal bias.
                  Historically, the perception has been that Skytrax has always liked CX. CX even took out a two page spread in the inside cover of an issue of the Economist vaunting about how they and HKIA HKG had just been voted airline and airport of the year 200x.

I suppose times change though.

Comment

This is Skytrax after all.

Edward Plaisted, the CEO of Skytrax must have been really wasted when he visited the lounge. I wonder what he had been drinking??? The Wing and The Pier are still among the best in the region.

If the these 2 lounges are 3 stars, I wonder how he would rate SKL F at T3???

Comment

Working...
                    X