Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexicana to join oneworld

http://www.avionews.com/index.php?co...ante=index.php

Mexicana is to join oneworld®. Mexico and Central America’s leading airline today accepted a formal invitation to become part of the world’s leading quality airline alliance after being unanimously elected on board by the grouping’s existing ten member airlines, which include some of the biggest and best names in the industry.

Its subsidiary Click Mexicana will join at the same time, as an affiliate member of oneworld.

Their joining process is expected to take 12 to 18 months to complete, with Iberia supporting Mexicana through these tasks, as its prime oneworld sponsor, assisted by American Airlines.

So Mexicana and Click Mexicana will be flying as part of oneworld in 2009, when they will start offering the alliance’s full range of services and benefits to their own customers and those from their new oneworld partners.

For Mexicana, joining oneworld will strengthen its competitive offering and its financial position. For oneworld, adding Mexicana will expand the alliance’s network in Mexico and Central America, and enable it to build further on its positions as the leading airline grouping serving Latin America and the leading Spanish-speaking alliance.

oneworld is already the only global alliance with any airline members based in South America - through LAN Airlines and its sisters LAN Argentina, LAN Ecuador and LAN Peru. American Airlines is the leading airline serving the region internationally, and Iberia is the leading carrier between Latin America and Europe.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 April 2008, 01:46 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

I hope IB doesn't train MX FAs to their standard of (intra-Europe) service.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Anyone know if there's anywhere new for OW which MX flies to internationally ?

Although I've never flown IB, I'd imagine it'll be a nicer way to get to HAV on BA/MX via MEX rather than IB via MAD!

Comment

Don't think they add a great deal of destinations, but they certainly provide greater routing alternatives.

I had a brief look at their route map for North America. I think they add more routing options in North America, building on the services already offered by AA. It's nice to have direct options from more cities rather than routing via one of AA's hubs all the time (eg LAX-CUN or SFO-GDL). AA currently codeshares on many of these routes, but the inclusion of the airline into the alliance means more options for xONExing in NA. I've always fancied a return visit to CUN.

I've not studied other parts of the Americas, but I imagine that they'd complement AA's and LA's hubs in the region with routes out of their Central American hubs.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 April 2008, 02:48 AM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

And the cue for Mexicana to leave the KrisFlyer frequent flyer programme perhaps?

(Yes yes, of course I know DL are still in it )

Comment

Working...
          X