Dear Rebecca of GB Airways - please lose the attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Rebecca of GB Airways - please lose the attitude

I flew LGW-MLA with GB "soon to be Sleazyjet but still flying as BA till later this year" Airways yesteday. And it seemed the switch to Sleazyjet had occurred earlier than I thought.

After the first drinks service, I was getting a little thirsty and was hoping to get more bottles of wines. So i duly pressed the crew call button, stupidly thinking that by doing so I'd procure some service from a cabin crew member - going by my experience on some real airlines. Rebecca, the unsmiling black sheep out of the generally relaxed and friendly crew, came around, and very tersely told fellow FTer Boddingtons and myself that no further drinks service would be performed as this was a "short flight", and that we were to press the crew call button no further unless it was for "a genuine emergency."

So verily I went up to the galley after the meal service was completed, and found Rebecca reading her magazine instead of being rushed off her feet on this exceptionally "short flight." I asked for more drinks, pointing out that on shorter BA mainline LGW-AMS and LGW-BCN services I could get as many drinks as I wanted to simply via the crew call button. Rebecca then pointed out that "we're different." I then politely apologised for not realising that the crew was rehearsing for the switchover to Sleazyjet. She was not impressed by my very very sincere apology unfortunately but more importantly - bless her oh SO generous soul, begrundgingly gave me some bottles of white wines.

I then asked for a feedback card in which I wrote about my thoughts on Rebecca - but quite completely forgot that it'd be at the liberty of the crew members whether said card makes it to the appropriate channels - and handed it back to the crew.

Now those who know me will know that I'm normally an easy going person with cabin crew and will not for no good reason leave a flight feeling like I've had a crappy time.

But anyway I thought the powers to be at GB won't be too bothered by my complaint even if they'd read it as they're switching over to a totally different way of treating pax soon. Hence I just thought I'd do a name and shame on here. Thanks for bearing with my rant...
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 3 February 2008, 04:30 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Good for you KeithMEL. Sounds like she was a stupid tight-ass bitch.

Comment

Can't believe that she came up with the attitude... and I thought some of the US-based shuttle service levels were bad!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        very tersely told fellow FTer Boddingtons and myself that no further drinks service would be performed as this was a "short flight", and that we were to press the crew call button no further unless it was for "a genuine emergency."
        Not at all customer-friendly, I agree. I think you got a bad draw on this flight, KeithMEL.

However ...

So verily I went up to the galley after the meal service was completed, and found Rebecca reading her magazine instead of being rushed off her feet on this exceptionally "short flight." I asked for more drinks, pointing out that on shorter BA mainline LGW-AMS and LGW-BCN services I could get as many drinks as I wanted to simply via the crew call button.
        Surely you know by now that benchmarking using other flights isn't the way to get on the crew's good side? Imagine if you told a QF crew that you got better service on some other QF flight. How would they have responded?
        I then politely apologised for not realising that the crew was rehearsing for the switchover to Sleazyjet. She was not impressed by my very very sincere apology unfortunately but more importantly - bless her oh SO generous soul, begrundgingly gave me some bottles of white wines.
        Sorry, but are the references to Sleazyjet maybe indicative of your soured attitude at this point? Or is this just because you were disappointed afterwards? If the former, she might have been responding to that.

One more thing: I think you should at least give her credit for intelligence. I can't imagine how an apology for not realizing that "the crew was rehearsing for the switchover to Sleazyjet" could have sounded polite or very very sincere.
        Now those who know me will know that I'm normally an easy going person with cabin crew and will not for no good reason leave a flight feeling like I've had a crappy time.
        Sounds like her initial snippiness got the better of your usual easy-going self, KeithMEL. (And I think you are very laid back and easy-going.) I hope your subsequent flights are much better (and that you're back to your usual cheerful self soon. )
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Perhaps one might expect there is a difference in the inflight service offerings between GB Airways & BA mainline? That said, I've not flown them (GB Airways), but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to find there was a difference knowing that they're a franchise operator for BA . Disclaimer: my opinion also comes from having flown too many regional carrier flights in the US. Regardless, if your "very very sincere apology" was as you described it above, I'm not surprised the FA wasn't impressed with it (nor anyone else who might have overheard).

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
            Good for you KeithMEL. Sounds like she was a stupid tight-ass bitch.
            Could we watch our language, please, and exercise a bit of forbearance?

Let's aim to be more articulate and circumspect than that.

jjpb3

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3
              Not at all customer-friendly, I agree...
              I agree with this as well, but the situation also brings to mind the old saying about two wrongs not making a right.
              ...Surely you know by now that benchmarking using other flights isn't the way to get on the crew's good side? Imagine if you told a QF crew that you got better service on some other QF flight. How would they have responded?...
              ...Sorry, but are the references to Sleazyjet maybe indicative of your soured attitude at this point? Or is this just because you were disappointed afterwards? If the former, she might have been responding to that.

One more thing: I think you should at least give her credit for intelligence. I can't imagine how an apology for not realizing that "the crew was rehearsing for the switchover to Sleazyjet" could have sounded polite or very very sincere...
              Well said, jjpb3.

Comment

... on shorter BA mainline LGW-AMS and LGW-BCN services I could get as many drinks as I wanted to simply via the crew call button. Rebecca then pointed out that "we're different." ...
                I beg to differ on this shorter BA mainline experience. I know I know, I am not an avid oneworld flyer like you or others here. But I had a bit of flying in BA Europe destinations (mostly LHR-FRA and LHR-ZRH-LHR). I don't know how you could manage to get as many as drinks you wanted. And I don't recall any pax who push call button for that short flight. (LGW-AMS is definitely is shorter, and I did LHR-AMS years back as well)
                Okay, typically here what I found in the service on board. Taking off.. then beep.. the FAs prepare the trolley. One cart will have the meals, and next one would be the drinks cart. So here I get the chance for one drink only. The crew finishes serving the C cabin, and they go back to the galley stocking up the cart. Then back to take away the tray and offer more drinks. I guess I am not a fast drinker, and many of those pax in C. Usually I still have my Pommery then... Most of pax will have one or two drinks.. but yes I have seen guys can enjoy the third after all clear up.
                So I am a bit confused with what you said you can get as many drinks as you want in BA mainline... and I guess I am the kind of person who is so reluctant to press call button, especially for this short flights.
                And BTW, I have done LHR-MXP-LHR which follow the same pattern, just in case you are thinking of my FRA and ZRH is too short for comparison.

But may I ask you this... I am sure prior to your flight you visited the lounge. How many drinks you had there already?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                  Most of pax will have one or two drinks.. but yes I have seen guys can enjoy the third after all clear up...
                  And BTW, I have done LHR-MXP-LHR which follow the same pattern, just in case you are thinking of my FRA and ZRH is too short for comparison.
                  The farthest I've flown intra-Europe has been to BUD (that might change later in March ). All this time, the most I've seen anyone finish were four of those mini-bottles (that was to WAW). For ZRH, it was three, as you've noted.

Comment

Does this Rebecca person read SQTalk then ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      Does this Rebecca person read SQTalk then ?.

Comment

From what I understand, GB is usually a better experience than mainline - good service (particularly compared to the mainline LGW crews), champagne poured from a proper bottle (rather than mini-bottles) etc.

The J purser on KeithMEL's flight was good - he was kept busy with the full CE cabin and we finished off all 5 or 6 bottles of champagne (including the ones meant for the return flight) before starting on the other drinks... However, the J purser on the flight last night was even better - again, a full CE cabin and she was kept very busy serving drinks for the whole 2:40 hour flight until well into the descent and only stopped about 10-15 minutes before landing (when she then handed out the hot towels)!

As for myself, I don't have any expectation of unlimited drinks in Y but perhaps my expectations are low. I would in J (when the crew are not busy) but would also expect the crew to be present so that I could either ask for a drink or - if the need is urgent - walk up to the galley myself (rather than press the call bell).

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post

Surely you know by now that benchmarking using other flights isn't the way to get on the crew's good side? Imagine if you told a QF crew that you got better service on some other QF flight. How would they have responded?
                          Point taken - that was a lapse of judgement on my part. It was more disappointment than anything else as, like jhm mentioned, I've always found GB Airways to be better than BA mainline and didn't expect someone like Rebecca. I was merely trying to respond to her assertion that the flying time was too short for more drinks to be doled out.

Originally posted by jjpb3
                          One more thing: I think you should at least give her credit for intelligence. I can't imagine how an apology for not realizing that "the crew was rehearsing for the switchover to Sleazyjet" could have sounded polite or very very sincere.
                          I was being ironic when I wrote that as I had no intention to be polite or sincere by that point. I made that comment out of frustration as all I wanted to get at the galley was drinks and she was being quite combative. I did started out being nice, but when it became quite clear that she wasn't playing ball I gave up.

And no of course I didn't say "Sleazyjet" to her face - it's what I refer to Easyjet as in forums by default.

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                          So I am a bit confused with what you said you can get as many drinks as you want in BA mainline... and I guess I am the kind of person who is so reluctant to press call button, especially for this short flights.

But may I ask you this... I am sure prior to your flight you visited the lounge. How many drinks you had there already?
                          I won't reveal how much I had to drink on BCN and FCO. I kept getting topped up with doubles on that BCN flight. On AMS the crew were more than happy to have time for 'just one more.'

To my shame I turned up to the airport late and only made it into the lounge 20 mins before boarding. There was only time for 2 glasses of champagne.

Other than champagne I don't normally drink much in lounges (shock, horror ). The wines don't usually taste that great in lounges, unless it's something like the FCT or the QF FLounges - and I'm not a big beer drinker.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          The J purser on KeithMEL's flight was good - he was kept busy with the full CE cabin and we finished off all 5 or 6 bottles of champagne (including the ones meant for the return flight) before starting on the other drinks...
                          Yes us poor sods stuck in whY were impatiently waiting for the champagne to roll back until we received the startling news that Club has run out of champagne... I hope there was a light load on the return.

I am pleased however to report that my flight back to LGW (I flew back a day earlier than the others) was excellent and up to the usual GB Airways standards.
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 5 February 2008, 02:34 AM.
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I think we've learned a valuable life lesson today:
                            never keep KeithMEL away from his wine

Comment

*meow!*

Comment

Working...
                              X