• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH joins EK after QF for extensive network

1 stop to 38 European destinations

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/71f3a...603d47bdc.html

This is a huge coup for MAB - well done them

(although I'm not sure that SQ is quaking in their boots, as a certain journalist seems to be suggesting...)

EK's also having difficulty getting more access to AMS and CDG, so I wonder if this will help?

Comment

Malaysia Airlines is cancelling services to AMS and CDG from late-January 2016 onwards.
      Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
        Malaysia Airlines is cancelling services to AMS and CDG from late-January 2016 onwards.
        Sure, but if EK is being restricted from expanding at AMS, say, but wanted an extra daily flight, could MH somehow allocate their frequency to them? After all, MH has (or at least used to have) traffic rights for AMS-DXB

Interesting also that MH chose EK rather than EY or QR. Sure, EK has a fuller route network, but EY and QR are existing partners... I wonder if it's because Mueller thought he could offload his spare A380s to EK...

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
          Sure, but if EK is being restricted from expanding at AMS, say, but wanted an extra daily flight, could MH somehow allocate their frequency to them? After all, MH has (or at least used to have) traffic rights for AMS-DXB
          Unlikely, if not impossible. MH has those rights because it is an airline based in Malaysia - air rights are organized between countries. Another airline based in Malaysia could use them, but not EK.

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
            Unlikely, if not impossible. MH has those rights because it is an airline based in Malaysia - air rights are organized between countries. Another airline based in Malaysia could use them, but not EK.

The flip side might be that MH stop in DXB and codeshare with EK enroute to AMS?

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
              The flip side might be that MH stop in DXB and codeshare with EK enroute to AMS?
              Only if MH still wanted to operate their own planes to AMS, which is no longer part of their strategy.

Comment

This is a huge coup for MAB
                Really?. My first thought, as someone who has always had a soft spot for MH, was 'what a shame'. It just looks like giving up and waving the white flag. Granted they didn't have a lot of options open so maybe it's the best they could hope for.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  Really?. My first thought, as someone who has always had a soft spot for MH, was 'what a shame'.
                  EK was going to obliterate MH anyway, so if you can't beat 'em... Shame about the cheap Avios redemptions from CDG, but at least they'll still be flying to LHR

Only if MH still wanted to operate their own planes to AMS, which is no longer part of their strategy.
                  Well, MH could fly to AMS using EK metal - it'll be codesharing on EK's other flights to AMS anyway, which I presume the Dutch can't stop. EK gets another frequency, and no loss to MH

Comment

Well, MH could fly to AMS using EK metal - it'll be codesharing on EK's other flights to AMS anyway, which I presume the Dutch can't stop. EK gets another frequency, and no loss to MH
                    The Dutch can't stop MH putting their code on EK metal. What they can stop is additional routes to AMS on EK metal, period. The fact that new EK flights would have MH codeshares wouldn't matter - they would not be able to use the MH slot unless the Dutch agreed to it, and it looks like they've frozen the rights of the ME3.

Comment

The Dutch can't stop MH putting their code on EK metal. What they can stop is additional routes to AMS on EK metal, period. The fact that new EK flights would have MH codeshares wouldn't matter - they would not be able to use the MH slot unless the Dutch agreed to it, and it looks like they've frozen the rights of the ME3.
                      I think they mean in the future, if EK and MH gets a little closer, MH might re-consider AMS again and operate a KUL-DXB-AMS service on its own metal with EK codes on it. Rather than EK using the 'rights' with its own metal, since it can't anyways because its not a Malaysian based airline (which I think you were referring to).

The KUL-DXB-AMS route would be doable with MH's current fleet of A333's, if they indeed choose to return and if EK happens to co-operate more with MH.

Comment

Originally posted by MLflyer View Post
                        I think they mean in the future, if EK and MH gets a little closer, MH might re-consider AMS again and operate a KUL-DXB-AMS service on its own metal with EK codes on it. Rather than EK using the 'rights' with its own metal, since it can't anyways because its not a Malaysian based airline (which I think you were referring to).

The KUL-DXB-AMS route would be doable with MH's current fleet of A333's, if they indeed choose to return and if EK happens to co-operate more with MH.
                        Ah, something like that would be legal. I can't see it anytime soon unless EK decides to build their own version of EY's Partners, but EK is probably not interested in burning money that way...

Comment

EK was going to obliterate MH anyway, so if you can't beat 'em...
                          EK were miles away from MH's main or only issue. You could sadly write a book on whats gone wrong over the last ten years.

I also would have thought QR would have been better but that's two OW airlines getting into bed with EK recently.

Comment

Working...
                          X