Big changes to BA EC coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big changes to BA EC coming

Gutted about the making us pay for the connecting flights to and from LHR on RFS, a further move to London Airways* .

Lots of other changes, including a 50% reduction in miles earned by Silvers. It was silly that Gold and Silver earned the same. There were runours they would also go for the SQ PPS style value system that a numbr of airlines have gone down recently, but it would appear not.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...&link=main_nav

*Had to get that in...

As a Silver, I'm *mildly* amused

Comment

Another one of those that was too good to last (e.g. 100% earning on all Eco fares even the cheapo one). The domestic feeder part hurts for non-LHR folks I agree. Silly as it just drives folks to other carriers offering options flying out of places they leave nearer to (3 Gulf carriers, SQ/CX from MAN, etc.).

What I find peculiar is that a few years ago they introduced many of these changes with great fanfare and now they roll them back / scale them back. Makes them look a bit "thick" no? Anyways, as a BD inherited BA Gold and now Silver and soon Bronze I can't be bothered. I got like 2K Avios so what gives .

Comment

Originally posted by demue View Post
        Anyways, as a BD inherited BA Gold and now Silver and soon Bronze I can't be bothered. I got like 2K Avios so what gives .
        Ah, so I'm not the only one who's mildly amused

Comment

I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but...

...I like it

I am a BD-inherited *G, and I've kept up my BA G through long haul paid J flying (discounted). I love being a BA G. Upgraded often, maybe 50% of the time - including F on the A380 (which is terrific - not suites, but damn good nonetheless). So I'll strive to keep it up

Earning-wise, there's no change if you pay J - unless you buy fully-flex, and you get more. Yes, redemptions are pricier, but most of the time, you can travel off peak, which is cheaper, esp for Europe

My big bugbear was that the lounges were full, and redemptions were impossible. This opens up redemptions massively - esp on routes like SIN and SYD. And hopefully it will thin out the lounges a bit too...

Comment

The partner F redemptions increases SUCK!

...a few years ago they introduced many of these changes with great fanfare...
            Hmmm...I do not recall this "fanfare."
            HUGE AL

Comment

BA's SIN - SYD's redemption is very decent actually. I've recently got a J Seat and a return on F very last minute (like 4 days to 1 week), so was very happy for that.
              Life's A Bitch,
              Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                BA's SIN - SYD's redemption is very decent actually.
                ...unless you want to fly from LHR, in which case, my entire hand has been bitten off and chewed by a hen more often then I've been able to find decent redemption availability

Comment

I got like 2K Avios so what gives .
                  I topped at almost 2.5 million last year but a family trip to Singapore and Sydney (where I used Gold Priority Awards a few times) in November made a large dent. I am still sat on just over 1.5 million though.

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
                  I am a BD-inherited *G, and I've kept up my BA G through long haul paid J flying (discounted). I love being a BA G.
                  I also got it via BD Gold and have re-qualified twice since. While I enjoy being BA Gold I hate flying BA. Maybe I have been spoiled spending most of time in cabins with flatbeds but no more that four across but (744 UD apart, as pointed out elsewhere here) I do not like their JCL or FCL product and I cannot stand transferring inbound at T5, which has got so bad recently it beggars belief.

I like being BA Gold mainly for the ability to book CX F (and J) and the RFS awards to Europe, which last week cushioned the blow of having to take six flights to get to Ibiza for the weekend.

My big bugbear was that the lounges were full, and redemptions were impossible. This opens up redemptions massively - esp on routes like SIN and SYD. And hopefully it will thin out the lounges a bit too...
                  I totally agree about the lounges (another reason to dislike the LHR T5 transfer experience) but you are surely not buying the 'this will open up more redemption availability', are you ?. Remember this is the bullsh*t they peddled last year when they removed the Gold benefit of being able to cancel and change awards FOC. Have you seen more availability since that happened ?. It is still far too easy to earn copious amounts of Avios in the UK from non-flying activities and that is not going to change any time soon.

I will probably continue to keep Gold as it will still probably be worthwhile. But this will mainly be due to flying CX (now they fly from MAN) and others. A number of people I know around here are qualifying by mainly flying QR.

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
                    I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but...

...I like it

I am a BD-inherited *G, and I've kept up my BA G through long haul paid J flying (discounted). I love being a BA G. Upgraded often, maybe 50% of the time - including F on the A380 (which is terrific - not suites, but damn good nonetheless). So I'll strive to keep it up
                    You're not in the minority, and i understand why BA did it. I'll stop short of calling a "like" though

I too am a BD-inherited BA Gold. I got it for two years, requalified for it in year 1 even though I didn't need to. I then hit 3150tp in year 2 and am sitting on 3920tp now (as GGL) with a planned 4400tp by end of my current year in June 2015.

It's been worth keeping (for the Jokers and Partner cards) - it's not as good as it once was, but I still find some value it it. I'll see what i can do to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      I then hit 3150tp in year 2 and am sitting on 3920tp now (as GGL) with a planned 4400tp by end of my current year in June 2015.
                      I sincerely hope you have earned most of those on MH, QR, CX etc and not had to do it on BA metal......

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        I sincerely hope you have earned most of those on MH, QR, CX etc and not had to do it on BA metal......

Still better than AA Y, 10 tp at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          While I enjoy being BA Gold I hate flying BA. Maybe I have been spoiled spending most of time in cabins with flatbeds but no more that four across but (744 UD apart, as pointed out elsewhere here) I do not like their JCL or FCL product and I cannot stand transferring inbound at T5, which has got so bad recently it beggars belief.
                          you are surely not buying the 'this will open up more redemption availability', are you ?
                          I will probably continue to keep Gold as it will still probably be worthwhile. But this will mainly be due to flying CX (now they fly from MAN) and others. A number of people I know around here are qualifying by mainly flying QR.
                          Having been on a few BA planes now, my observations would be:
                          - 64A/K make up for the ancient 744
                          - A380s and 77Ws are notably better in F, especially, but also J
                          - if I can't guarantee those, then I'd rather CX J
                          - but there's little chance of an op-up on CX, while it's pretty common on BA
                          - QR J has been variable for me; some routes still have slopey seats - ugh!

Transferring inbound is a nightmare, but Fast Track border control has improved significantly, so would it not be quicker just to pop landside?

Plenty of reports of improved redemption availability - a couple of routes I've been looking at have gone from one flight a week to fully open availability including Fri/Sat nights

And I too think I'll be topping up my BA flying with CX and QR, during their sales... QR has £1.4k LHR to HKT in J right now! However, BA's ex-Norway fares to SYD take a lot to be beaten (and you can fly CX with a BA code, so full Gold bonus miles)

Comment

This was always on the cards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLe5aKSYgjM

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                              This was always on the cards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLe5aKSYgjM
                              Spot on!

I especially liked his comment about T5 lounges.

Comment

Working...
                              X