London to New York Round Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London to New York Round Trip

Which is the best airline for this route? Criteria as it frequency, service, value? For first or Business. Lie-flat bed a must. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance!

It's impossible to say who is the 'best' as there are so many variables. OW and particularly BA dominate the route but, presuming you are going in J, avoid the 777 which has ridiculous dormitory style eight across. If you can get a 744 then the Upper Deck is good, but the seat is way overdue an upgrade even though it's flat. BA lounges in T5 are great for views out over the airfield but the catering during the day is woeful.

AA now have an excellent hard product in 1-2-1 on many 777's so may be worth looking. There is also VS who with their CH at LHR T3 offer the best lounge ex-LHR and don't rule DL out (no, seriously ! ) as some of their flights now also leave from T3 at LHR so also use the VS CH and they supposedly have a great lounge at JFK with an outdoor area like the one in ATL.

Comment

Recently flew to JFK from LHR with Virgin Atlantic (and have always done so), and literally just off a Virgin flight in Upper Class from LHR to HKG - so thought I'd chip in.

VS's upper class product is great for sleeping, but only if you don't find the seat width too narrow. Entertainment system adequate but getting a bit long in the tooth if you're on the 346 or 747.

They operate a couple of A330s to both JFK and EWR and those feature the new upper class suite. Haven't tried these but I'm told that it is less spacious than the older suite on the A346/747.

Good and friendly service on board, with a focus on delivering a warm and friendly service, rather than a crisp professional one (if you get what I mean).

Upper class check-in experience at LHR is way above the other airlines I think (VS have their own upper class check-in wing at T3, separate from the main terminal) and you get fast track access to the clubhouse - less than 10 minutes in total. VS clubhouse is one of the best lounges I have been in, and the roof terrace offers a brilliant view over LHR. Table service dining and a great cocktail bar (featuring some very high quality premium spirits - I had a cocktail featuring Oxley Gin) make the lounge one of the best.

JFK landing experience on VS is pretty much par for the course. I've learnt not to expect too much from this.

I've found VS reasonable value for money whenever I've flown, but to be honest, LHR departure taxes for premium class passengers pretty much distorts any "value" one can get out of an airfare. I've had much happier wallets flying economy on an exit seat or premium economy to the states on a day flight for my outbound, and Upper Class back to the UK (since the add-ons ex-US is significantly less than ex-UK).

Look out for any "buy miles" promotions on VS's flying club. Incredible value to be had if you're booking with plenty of time to spare.

Hope this helps.

Comment

What about BA CW from LCY? Flat bed, almost like a private jet. Yes, flight time is longer, but it's much closer to the City, and you check in moments before the flight. There's also immigration clearance at SNN, so you sail through JFK on arrival. Plus first class TPs, in case you're status hunting

Ex-LHR, the previous posters have it covered - the new J seat on AA's 77Ws is probably the most comfortable option, if you care most about seat and sleep

Comment

Originally posted by kt74 View Post
          What about BA CW from LCY? Flat bed, almost like a private jet. Yes, flight time is longer, but it's much closer to the City, and you check in moments before the flight. There's also immigration clearance at SNN, so you sail through JFK on arrival. Plus first class TPs, in case you're status hunting

Ex-LHR, the previous posters have it covered - the new J seat on AA's 77Ws is probably the most comfortable option, if you care most about seat and sleep
          Apologies as I do not frequent this forum so not familiar with the acroynms. But what is BA, CW and LCY?

Comment

Originally posted by benlee View Post
            Apologies as I do not frequent this forum so not familiar with the acroynms. But what is BA, CW and LCY?
            Sorry, my bad

Try British Airways Club World from London City Airport
            http://www.britishairways.com/clubworldlondoncity/

On the westbound flight, there is a refueling stop at Shannon in Ireland, but you clear US customs while you are there, which means you arrive in New York as a "domestic" flight, and don't have to deal with the usual immigration queues when you land

Comment

Delta is also another nice option! It used to offer some competitive fares too.

It has full flat bed with direct aisle access on all of its long haul widebody planes. LHR gets mostly the Boeing 767-400ERs.

The service might not be fancy, but I prefer Delta over BA. Delta uses Terminal Four at JFK now, which is a nicer facility. Sure Sky Club at JFK, despite of its huge size and fancy outdoor seating, offers little in terms of complimentary food and drinks. However, the seats are way better than BA's Club World seats. In-flight meals are quite nice too.

Virgin Atlantic will perhaps be my top pick on this route because of a nicer lounge experience at both airports, lie flat beds with direct aisle access (you can stay flat bed mode even during takeoff and landing), and better pre-flight dining options. It offers pajamas on the redeye flights to LHR.

Carfield

Comment

Another vote for Virgin Atlantic, especially if you haven't flown with them before. They are worth experiencing at least once, and London to New York is a good choice to do so, since you get to sample both the amazing Clubhouse facilities at LHR and JFK.

Although the A330 has a nicer ambiance and a great looking bar, I would advice picking a 747 or A340-600 operated flight instead, simply because the Upper Class seats on the A330 are very narrow and claustrophobic.

Comment

Originally posted by benlee View Post
                  Lie-flat bed a must.
                  Depends who's paying but with sleep time of only around 4 hours for some flights, a lie-flat bed may not be worth it.

Comment

Sorry, my bad

On the westbound flight, there is a refueling stop at Shannon in Ireland, but you clear US customs while you are there, which means you arrive in New York as a "domestic" flight, and don't have to deal with the usual immigration queues when you land
                    This is now only true for the ealier flight (BA 001). The later BA003 still has the refueling stop but there is no US customs and immigration clearance anymore. So you still have to go through this when you arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Carfield View Post
                      Delta is also another nice option! It used to offer some competitive fares too.

It has full flat bed with direct aisle access on all of its long haul widebody planes. LHR gets mostly the Boeing 767-400ERs.

The service might not be fancy, but I prefer Delta over BA.
                      I totally agree. I have been using DL's MAN-ATL and vv flights this year for trips to places like IAH, MIA and YYZ and thoroughly enjoyed it. The 767's they use to MAN all have flat beds and ATL is a great airport for transits.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Depends who's paying but with sleep time of only around 4 hours for some flights, a lie-flat bed may not be worth it.
                      I am not sure anyone flies non flat beds on the route anyway ?.

Comment

Sorry, my bad

How do I book this online? I visited this webpage you mentioned above but it directs me to the generic booking engine.

Comment

Working...
                        X