Transit in Zurich Airport to Geneva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transit in Zurich Airport to Geneva

I will like to take a trip to Geneva, Switzerland. However, SQ does not fly direct. SQ do fly to Zurich direct instead, via SQ346 arriving 8AM in the morning. So I plan to book a connecting flight by Swiss Air from Zurich to Geneva. Is 3 hours transit time enough? Including clearing immigration, collect luggage and then check back in again.

Or will it be easier if leave the airport and take a train to Geneva instead?

Should be ok.

Friend's daughter does this all the time

Comment

Far easier to take the train. Very scenic for most part of the way. Two routes to choose - one northerly one via Neuchatel and a more southern one past lac leman.

I always take the train.

Comment

Yes 3 hours is more than enough time.

But I too prefer the train. (Note that it's a direct connection from ZRH airport. Not more complicated than taking the Airport Express at HKG...)

Comment

Zurich probably has the easiest immigration of any place in the world. So you'll be through very very quick

Comment

Friend's daughter took train first time between Zurich & Geneva.

Slept on board and lost her bags!

It's unexpected for Switzerland but be careful

Comment

Um, why can't you check your bag all the way through to Geneva if you are flying and do Online Check-ins to get boarding passes then you only need a transit, albeit still passing immigration?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                Far easier to take the train. Very scenic for most part of the way. Two routes to choose - one northerly one via Neuchatel and a more southern one past lac leman.

I always take the train.
                Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                Yes 3 hours is more than enough time.

But I too prefer the train. (Note that it's a direct connection from ZRH airport. Not more complicated than taking the Airport Express at HKG...)
                Thanks. Can you elaborate further how to take the train? You mean the train station is connected with the airport? But the train takes 2.5 hours journey time isn't it? Flight is faster which is about one hour.

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                Friend's daughter took train first time between Zurich & Geneva.

Slept on board and lost her bags!

It's unexpected for Switzerland but be careful
                That's what I am worried about also. I will probably be very tired after the long flight. Maybe I just stay one night instead to avoid the stress/hassle.

Comment

Bahnhof Flughafen Zurich is within the airport premises. You just come out of arrivals, go straight ahead across a small road and you're in the train station. Look for a ticket counter - and buy a ticket - there are only 2 classes - 1st and 2nd. Difference being 3 abreast vs 4 and legroom. It's very very simple. English is widely spoken.

Onboard, drinks and snacks are readily available - they do regular rounds with a pushcart.

The northerly route is about 10 minutes longer vs the southerly route. I prefer the southerly one, but usually it's driven by whichever train is up next.

Forget the plane. The Swiss Trains are ROCK solid reliable. A departure at 10.21 means 10.21 - at 10.21:03 seconds, you watch the train leave. It is such a lovely scenic and relaxing ride. I've taken many planes between Zurich and Geneve - when I lived there way back in the days when Swissair was still alive and they ran what they called the Le Pendulair service. Still visit our HQ once in a while, and can't be bothered with flying between the two cities anymore - the train is faster, smoother and more enjoyable.

1) Interesting to note: When in a German Canton, announcements are made in this order: Swiss German/French/English. You'll know when you've reached the French Cantons when the announcements are French first/Swiss German then English.

2) If you wanna know the precise train timings - go to cff.ch or sbb.ch to see.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    1) Interesting to note: When in a German Canton, announcements are made in this order: Swiss German/French/English. You'll know when you've reached the French Cantons when the announcements are French first/Swiss German then English.
                    This also happens when you fly from Zurich to Geneva.

The short flight is also quite easy to do. And you'll get enough time to go thru immigration and customs with time to spare to sit in the lounge ... but the scenery is perhaps less breathtaking.

Comment

A word of advice: It's cheaper to buy the train tickets online than to buy them off the counter. And they do not give any announcements whatsoever regarding the next arrival station nor are there any prominent signs at the platform denoting the station's location, so it's best to know the estimated arrival time at your destination so that you know when to get off.

Comment

Working...
                      X