Help! Potential no-show fee for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    Whilst technically possible and the airline is more than happy to change your itinerary for any reason or for no reason whatsoever upon request, it will come at a potentially substantial cost as the ticket will have to be repriced and reissued for the reasons described in SQFG's earlier post.

You're essentially purchasing an entirely different itinerary (NRT-SIN rather than SIN-ICN-NRT-SIN) and therefore a different fare. And that is apart from any applicable T&Cs for the existing fare (change and/or cancellation fees may apply). If you no-show, your ticket will most definitely be cancelled.

If people are allowed to alter itineraries on a whim for no cost as you're suggesting or no-show without any penalties, it'd lead to substantial revenue dilution.

But what do I know, it's not as though I work for an airline....

edited to add: Also the POS (Point of Sale) will also be taken into account - so if JAL doesn't purposefully file a NRT-SIN fare for POS SG, I'm afraid it's not going to be cheap. You could maybe buy a separate standalone POS JP fare online, but you'd likely have a POS restriction if you're attempting to reissue your ticket with JAL in Singapore.
    Oh dear. We may have to censor your post as it contains too much truth and facts. Something which is not so popular on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      To the OP:

Trust me I'm right. Let me explain:

You have a SIN-NRT-SIN ticket which is calculated on a SIN-NRT-SIN NUC (Neutral unit of construction). This would be basically your fare for the above route, converted to SGD at a given exchange rate. The NUC for NRT-SIN-NRT is most definitely not the same as SIN-NRT-SIN. (try a look up of Japan market fares - you'll see what i mean).

If you do not show up in SIN, your booking gets cancelled, and your ticket, if you wish to use the NRT-SIN leg without any encumbrances - it is repriced and reissued to a SITI (sold inside, ticketed inside) fare ex NRT.

The only way a ticket can be used economically like this is if the NUC for the return leg is the same as if it were for the return leg of a round trip. i.e. a japanese would pay the same for a NRT-SIN leg as a singaporean would pay for the NRT-SIN leg of a SIN-NRT-SIN ticket. It would still need to be reissued though. You see this most commonly in LCC fares - tickets are typically sold essentially with 2 different SITI points.

If you are allowed to do this - it would be out of procedure, and you have a blind agent who does not see your coupon for SIN-NRT marked as unflown.

The 5 million miler is wrong. But that's par for the course for some
      Best explanation thus far (and better than the ones that some airlines provide). Trust SQflyergirl, she's right.

p/s: the only time where I have seen out-of-sequence tickets being accepted by the airlines were, as per SINFJ comments, due to some un-godly reasons such as volcano eruption, snowstorm, etc whereby travelling on the first sector may no longer be possible.

Comment

thanks everyone for your help!
        i'll be flying icn-sin back and taking sin-nrt out immediately 4 hours later. it'll be fun, i think!

Comment

Originally posted by flakingcorn View Post
          thanks everyone for your help!
          i'll be flying icn-sin back and taking sin-nrt out immediately 4 hours later. it'll be fun, i think!
          Enjoy you trip.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            To the OP:

Trust me I'm right. Let me explain:

You have a SIN-NRT-SIN ticket which is calculated on a SIN-NRT-SIN NUC (Neutral unit of construction). This would be basically your fare for the above route, converted to SGD at a given exchange rate. The NUC for NRT-SIN-NRT is most definitely not the same as SIN-NRT-SIN. (try a look up of Japan market fares - you'll see what i mean).

If you do not show up in SIN, your booking gets cancelled, and your ticket, if you wish to use the NRT-SIN leg without any encumbrances - it is repriced and reissued to a SITI (sold inside, ticketed inside) fare ex NRT.

The only way a ticket can be used economically like this is if the NUC for the return leg is the same as if it were for the return leg of a round trip. i.e. a japanese would pay the same for a NRT-SIN leg as a singaporean would pay for the NRT-SIN leg of a SIN-NRT-SIN ticket. It would still need to be reissued though. You see this most commonly in LCC fares - tickets are typically sold essentially with 2 different SITI points.

If you are allowed to do this - it would be out of procedure, and you have a blind agent who does not see your coupon for SIN-NRT marked as unflown.

The 5 million miler is wrong. But that's par for the course for some

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
            Just show them your trip and plan due to change in travel plan. The airline will in-validate it. You will not get a refund but you are allow to use the remaining part of ticket.
            Issue me a visa to your planet! Many would love to visit!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.
            Our boy is all corporate now!
            HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
            X