Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking news: Qantas to ground all flights

Deleted
    Last edited by Megatop; 16 November 2011, 04:43 PM.

Deleted

Comment

Good move by QF Mgmt.

Comment

And just when I thought QF couldn't get any worse

Comment

Government has stepped in and are currently in an emergency hearing with Fair Work Australia (Australia's industrial relations department), which will most likely see this action put on hold for 21 days - so the most likely action will be QF will be back in the air tomorrow..

Comment

The union movement is holding QANTAS to ransom. The cost structures due to outdated practices most QANTAS at least 25% more costly to operate then its main competitors.

Comment

I knew I'd regret booking QF to the US next week. Should have stuck with UA regardless of how appaling they are. At least they get to the destination.

Comment

Here's a victim - my CBR-MEL on Sat 1330 was cancelled, (this was before mass grounding which effected at 1700 Aust EST). Thkfully arrived at CBR at 11am, cos kids want to see planes. Put on CBR-SYD-MEL but nearly missed my SQ228. And my luggage really didn't make it.

No more QF for me, ever again, even for Oz domestic I'll be flying via DJ

Comment

well i think good move to end the union. not trying to make any racist comment or what. but the qf union should wake up and see the reality
                  visit my blog

Comment

Maybe its just me but I think Alan Joyce might have over played his hand too much. By abruptly canceling operations out of the blue, he is forcing the Australian Public (not to mention the world at large) to take sides.

While the Union isn't fantastic, letting them strike, and bring inconvenience to the public would buy him more sympathy. By taking the call, he is taking a huge personal risk which might alienate the public. Anyway, by taking this choice, he might win eventually, but it will also deal Qantas a huge and significant blow.

I am just one of those who will avoid Qantas at all possible cost now. And I am just 1 of many.
                    Life's A Bitch,
                    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Deleted

Comment

I have this feeling that company S is sitting back, relaxing and watching this spectacular show.

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                          Maybe its just me but I think Alan Joyce might have over played his hand too much. By abruptly canceling operations out of the blue, he is forcing the Australian Public (not to mention the world at large) to take sides.

While the Union isn't fantastic, letting them strike, and bring inconvenience to the public would buy him more sympathy. By taking the call, he is taking a huge personal risk which might alienate the public. Anyway, by taking this choice, he might win eventually, but it will also deal Qantas a huge and significant blow.

I am just one of those who will avoid Qantas at all possible cost now. And I am just 1 of many.
                          I dunno in Airlines. In bank normally CEO is on 3-years contracts. I suspect he is may be under x years of contract also. For many CEO, I think they will not so much care for long term image of the company. They care more how to cash in as much as bonus during their tenure.

By doing this, the CEO can blame this to the Union!
                          visit my blog

Comment

Well looks like Alan won round 1. Let's see what happens next
                            Life's A Bitch,
                            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

I just got back from the SQTalk DO in SIN and was due to fly QF SIN-BNE in J last night. When the grounding was announced on Saturday it was impossible to get through to them unsurprisingly, not even the Platinum number worked.

Their reaccomodation policy published on Sat only provided for hotel, meals and airport transfer. Which didn't help me as I had to get back to BNE for work. So I booked myself the first cheapie back to BNE I saw which was an EY flight in whY. Given that I was due to depart in a little over 24 hours and couldn't reach anyone at QF, I didn't take any chances rather than gamble on being IRROP'd at the airport.

Sunday morning QF announced that they will reaccomodate pax on other airlines in the same class of service and I was rebooked by QF at SIN to travel on the same EY flight in J.

Loved EY - great product all round and would probably be using them more often in future. Flat bed seat was super comfy, lovely crew especially the very cool Head FA (no idea what their terminology for this role is), and awesome ala carte style menu with an interesting wine list.

Anyway I now have to figure out how to get my original whY ticket on EY reimbursed which could prove tricky given that i was actually reaccomodated. It was a good back up in the event that QF refused to IRROP me. EY is charging me both no show (even though I travelled on the very same flight just in a different cabin) and cancellation fees.

When I arrived at BNE it'd been announced overnight that Fair Work Australia has ordered a termination of all industrial action using provisions in IR legislation that places limits on industrial action that imperils national interest, and QF planes will be back in the air by 2pm today.
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 31 October 2011, 11:45 AM.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                              X