Miscellaneous airline bits & bobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etihad Airways lives up to its billing

In the realm of business travel, at least in Singapore, there seems to be just two options. One airline - and everybody else. It was with such a mindset that one embarked on an Etihad Airways flight to Paris - would it be a culture shock, not having meaty satay to look forward to, or waking in the middle of a flight without a comforting cup of instant noodles on standby?

Having a United Nations of flight attendants putting you at ease from the moment you step into the cabin is a step in the right direction. Maybe it has something to do with strapping blond hunks serving you like they're really enjoying what they do.

http://www.relax.com.sg/relax/featur...s_billing.html
    Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

More Middle Eastern airlines poised for profits

Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways and flydubai are majority state-owned – 100% for Etihad and flydubai, 50% for Qatar – and all three have been among the brightest growth stories in a region already noted for its rapid development.

Now the three look set to join the ranks of Middle Eastern airlines that are consistently profitable.

State-owned carriers in the region typically don’t perform well when it comes to their bottom lines. According to IATA, airlines in the Middle East as a group have had just three years of profitability in the last seven.

After airlines across the region reported a combined profit of USD900 million in 2010, regional profitability returned after a four-year absence. The outlook for 2011 and 2012 is strongly positive, even with the impact of the Arab Spring.

Continue reading at http://www.centreforaviation.com/ana...-profits-61687
      Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
        When you're passionate about aviation, you'll know where to find, and the time to do it too.
        Even if you're passionate it doesn't mean you can simply copy everything entirely.
        Airline Route | twitter

Comment

Originally posted by jimyvr View Post
          Even if you're passionate it doesn't mean you can simply copy everything entirely.
          I copy "everything entirely" is for the convenience of readers. I don't claim to own any of the articles that I've shared as I indicate the source of the articles. Otherwise how else would you recommend that I share news?

Comment

Air France to serve Wuhan

It appears the French flag-carrier is expanding into mainland China at the expense of SE Asia.

A few days after its flights to Bangkok are cut back (see online news October 24), Air France will inaugurate this new service between Paris CDG and Wuhan in central China’s Hubei province. Wuhan will be Air France’s fifth Chinese destination.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...to-serve-wuhan
            Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Hong Kong Airlines eyes Qantas A380 slots

Hong Kong Airlines is discussing with Airbus to take over the A380 slots that were previously filled by Australia's Qantas Airways.

Earlier this year, Qantas deferred its order for six A380s, which it was due to receive in 2014, to be delivered between 2018 and 2012.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-slots-364313/
              Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Air Australia, formerly Strategic Airlines, reveals new branding

http://www.centreforaviation.com/new...anding--127348
                -------------------------

Just in time to give QF a run for its money.
                Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Royal Brunei Airlines adjusts fleet to reflect new strategy and restructured network

Royal Brunei Airlines (RBA) is preparing to expand capacity within Asia following the acquisition of an additional A320 while reducing the size of its widebody fleet to match its new and smaller long-haul network. The adjustments come as RBA implemented, at the beginning of last week, its restructuring plan, focussing on local traffic and long-haul to short-haul connections rather than continuing in the intensely competitive 'Kangaroo route'. RBA sees five A320s and five B787s, which are expected to replace its six B777-200ERs by the end of 2014, as an ideal fleet for executing its new strategy over the medium to long term.

RBA unveiled in Jun-2011 a major network restructuring which included axing five routes prior to the start of the northern hemisphere winter schedule – Auckland, Brisbane, Ho Chi Minh, Kuching and Perth. The restructuring leaves RBA with only 12 scheduled year-round destinations, including three long-haul destinations (Dubai, London Heathrow and Melbourne; excludes seasonal service to Jeddah) and nine short-haul destinations (Bangkok, Hong Kong, Kota Kinabalu, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Singapore, Shanghai and Surabaya).

The changes were initiated after RBA incurred big financial losses over the last several years. The long-haul network was particularly unprofitable and the Brunei Government saw little need to continue funding the network given that over 90% of its long-haul passengers were transit passengers.

http://www.centreforaviation.com/ana...-network-62127
                  Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
                    I copy "everything entirely" is for the convenience of readers. I don't claim to own any of the articles that I've shared as I indicate the source of the articles. Otherwise how else would you recommend that I share news?
                    So does this mean when you're writing term papers in high school/college/university, you copy everything entirely along with the link in order to make it convenient for your instructor to read?
                    Airline Route | twitter

Comment

So does this mean when you're writing term papers in high school/college/university, you copy everything entirely along with the link in order to make it convenient for your instructor to read?
                      I'm not in school anymore.

Comment

JAL returns to profit in 1H, after bankruptcy

TOKYO : Japan Airlines said Tuesday its first half net profit reached US$1.25 billion, thanks to aggressive restructuring efforts after completing its bankruptcy proceedings.

JAL posted a net profit of 97.4 billion yen (US$1.25 billion) for the six months to September, with operating profit of 106.1 billion yen on sales totalling 599.8 billion yen.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...164103/1/.html
                        Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:13 AM.

Comment

New LCC AirAsia Japan to add A330 services

AirAsia Japan, the joint venture between AirAsia and All Nippon Airways (ANA), plans to add Airbus A330 services to longer haul destinations from 2013, according to The Business Times.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...-services-1107
                          Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:15 AM.

Comment

A new super-premium airline in the works

PETALING JAYA (Nov 9, 2011): AirAsia chief Tan Sri Tony Fernandes, who already has interest in four airlines, is set to expand his empire further as he moves to start a new super-premium full-service carrier (FSC) that will compete head-on with Qantas' upcoming Asia-based super-premium FSC called RedQ, aviation sources said.

Likely to be called Caterham Jet, sources said the new regional airline has yet to be granted an operating licence by the government, but has secured several Bombardier CRJs which have been sent for retrofitting.

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/202557
                            Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I find it helpful actually, when i am reading at work sometimes the links are blocked.

Comment

Asiana to focus over medium term on expansion of long-haul network and fleet

Asiana Airlines has unveiled a new medium-term business plan which envisions capacity and fleet growth of 25% over the next four years as the South Korean carrier aims to break into the top 10 global airline rankings. Asiana plans to focus over the medium term on expanding its relatively small long-haul network as opportunities for short-haul expansion become more limited due to bilateral constraints and increasing competition from LCCs.

Asiana’s medium-term fleet plan includes 17 additional aircraft, taking the fleet from 71 aircraft currently to 83 aircraft by the end of 2013 and 88 by the end of 2015. Narrowbody passenger, widebody passenger and freighter aircraft will all be added over the next four years. But the biggest capacity growth will be seen in the widebody passenger segment, which will grow from 32 to 40 aircraft.

Continue reading at http://www.centreforaviation.com/ana...nd-fleet-62248
                                Last edited by Lobster; 13 November 2011, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X