X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas May Axe Routes, Seek Ventures

Qantas May Axe Routes, Seek Ventures
    By Robert Fenner - Jul 11, 2011
    Qantas Airways Ltd. (QAN) may cut routes and seek tie-ups with competitors as Australia’s largest carrier works to reverse losses at its international business, according to analysts.

The airline may stop flying to South Africa and South America to focus on routes to London and Los Angeles, said Neil Hansford, chairman of Strategic Aviation Solutions, a Sydney- based industry consultant. It may also shift Hawaiian services to the Jetstar budget unit, he said.

Qantas Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce has promised a “ruthless” review of operations after forecasting two years of annual losses at the international unit following a loss in market share. The airline is losing travelers as Singapore Airlines Ltd. (SIA) and Dubai-based Emirates lure business class customers with newer planes and free rides to airports.

“Qantas international has stood still for decades and everyone caught up and overtook them,” said Chris Weston, an institutional dealer at IG Markets in Melbourne. “When I fly with them for business it doesn’t feel like the others.”

The Sydney-based carrier’s share of travelers to and from Australia has fallen to 19 percent in April from 35 percent in 2001, according to official data. It has maintained a two-thirds share of the domestic market for almost a decade.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...s-flights.html

All to be revealed on August 24th...

Personally I think Qantas international needs investment, not cutbacks or further Jetstarisation.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 12 July 2011, 12:30 PM. Reason: schpelling
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Whats happening on 24 August ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        Whats happening on 24 August ?.
        http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...al-losses.html

So will Qantas become SYD/MEL airways like BA has become 'london airways'? ok....perhaps bad analogy...

Comment

A little kangaroo told me that we might see 5 fat roos based in Singapore.
          Last edited by Nick C; 3 August 2011, 02:42 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
            A little kangaroo told me that we might be see 5 fat roos based in Singapore.
            Excellent! Wanna see more competition to keep SQ on its toes.

Comment

and orange 744s.

Comment

Swinging by an aromatic port....
                F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

So we may see 3K 744s operating SIN-CDG/FRA?
                  My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
                    Swinging by an aromatic port....
                    Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                    Neither of those places are ports, nor are they very aromatic either.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                      Sorry, wasn't too clear....

The oranje 744s will still be VH- and operating to stateside in place of roo.

Comment

ASX Summary of QF's 10am (AEST) announcement.

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/2011081...xbfm2l4cyg.pdf

Comment

Qantas to buy 110 Airbus A320s, defer A380 deliveries & cut jobs

SYDNEY: Australia's Qantas on Tuesday said it is to buy up to 110 Airbus A320 aircraft to support fleet renewal and growth for the next 10 to 15 years while deferring delivery of six Airbus A380s for up to six years.

The airline said the move was the first phase of a new strategy "to build a truly modern, customer-focused and competitive global aviation business".

"Smart investment in aircraft is part of the Qantas Group's five-year plan to build a truly modern, customer-focused and competitive global airline business," it said.

Separately, Qantas Airways, Japan Airlines and Mitsubishi Corp. also announced they will launch a new low-cost domestic airline, Jetstar Japan, by the end of next year.

The venture will be one-third owned by each company.

"The airline will launch with an initial fleet of three new Airbus A320 aircraft, growing to 24 aircraft within its first few years," Qantas said in a statement.

The Australian carrier Qantas Airways also said it would cut 1,000 jobs under a restructuring of its international operations.

Areas affected include management, pilots, cabin crew and engineering.

"There will be an impact on employment from the retirement of older aircraft and network changes. As a result around 1,000 jobs will be affected," the airline said.

"The Group will be looking to minimise the number of compulsory redundancies wherever possible."

- AFP/ck

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...147253/1/.html

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17308841

9 March 2012 Last updated at 01:47 GMT

Qantas ends joint venture talks with Malaysia Airlines

Qantas may try to set up an Asia joint venture with a different airline
                            Talks between Australia's Qantas and Malaysia Airlines to establish a premium airline in Asia have broken down, in a setback for both carriers.

Qantas said the two sides could not agree on commercial terms. Qantas shares fell 4% in Sydney.

Qantas has announced plans to focus on the Asia region as a way to stem losses in its international business.

The chairman of Malaysia Airlines recently said the company was "in crisis" after reporting hefty losses.

Comment

I wonder if this affects MH's entry into OW

Comment

Working...
                              X