QF A330 at JFK ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QF A330 at JFK ?

Unless my eyes are deceiving me I have just seen a QF A330 taxi past at JFK while sat at the bar in the VS CH in T4.

What on earth is that doing here ?.
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 3 July 2011, 06:46 AM.

The JFK tag on has been downgauged from a 744 to an A330 service. The A330 actually does AKL-LAX vv as QF25/26 then performs the LAX-JFK vv shuttle as QF107/108.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that a month ago and couldn't believe it either.

Comment

It changed almost exactly 12 months ago, July 5 2010. I believe initially it was operating 5 times per week but it seems to have returned to daily.
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Well my eyes definitely weren't deceiving me as I saw it again.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          The JFK tag on has been downgauged from a 744 to an A330 service. The A330 actually does AKL-LAX vv as QF25/26 then performs the LAX-JFK vv shuttle as QF107/108.
          What a bizarre arrangement. So the aircraft doesn't even touch Oz ?.

Surprised to hear of an A330 on AKL-LAX to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Well my eyes definitely weren't deceiving me as I saw it again.

What a bizarre arrangement. So the aircraft doesn't even touch Oz ?.

Surprised to hear of an A330 on AKL-LAX to be honest.
            It may do - there is an A330 SYD/AKL run so it can be brought back I suppose although I have not analysed the schedule.

The 330-200 has a longer range than the -300. In fact I believe they flew one non-stop from LAX to BNE or SYD during the ash cloud crisis to avoid going through AKL when it was off limits.
            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

The LAX-AKL sector is scheduled for 13.5 hours block time, quite impressive for the A330.

The DFW-BNE sector is scheduled at 16.0 hours in the 744. But the jury is still out on whether the 744 can perform this reliably with seasonal winds.

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                It may do - there is an A330 SYD/AKL run so it can be brought back I suppose although I have not analysed the schedule.

The 330-200 has a longer range than the -300. In fact I believe they flew one non-stop from LAX to BNE or SYD during the ash cloud crisis to avoid going through AKL when it was off limits.
                The aircraft goes SYD-AKL-LAX-JFK-LAX-AKL-SYD.

During the ash cloud the aircraft did operate LAX-SYD as you mentioned but without passengers or cargo.

Comment

Working...
                X