Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qantas Group announces profit of $500 million, settlement agreement with Rolls Royce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas Group announces profit of $500 million, settlement agreement with Rolls Royce

SYDNEY: Australian flag carrier Qantas Wednesday said it had reached a $100 million settlement with engine maker Rolls-Royce over a mid-air blast that forced the grounding of its entire A380 fleet.

"Qantas has today reached an agreement with Rolls-Royce plc in relation to the QF32 incident," the carrier said in a statement to the Australian Stock Exchange.

"The full settlement of Aus$95 million ($100 million) will be recognised in the FY11 result."

It followed a Qantas A380 plane making an emergency landing in Singapore in November last year due to a mid-air engine explosion.

Qantas initially grounded all six of its Airbus superjumbos after the blast over Indonesia, which forced the plane to return to Singapore trailing smoke.

Subsequent investigations pinpointed a manufacturing defect which caused fatigue cracking in an oil pipe, resulting in a fire and potentially catastrophic engine failure.

Qantas, Singapore Airlines and Germany's Lufthansa all used the Trent 900 engine on A380 superjumbos and dozens of turbines had to be replaced.

Qantas did not resume full A380 services until January this year, and the plane involved in the blast will remain out of commission until next February as it undergoes extensive repairs.

The Australian carrier lodged a compensation case in the Federal Court of Australia following the incident, but said the settlement meant proceedings against Rolls-Royce would be discontinued.

"Qantas and Rolls-Royce have had a long and successful commercial partnership spanning several decades," the airline said.

"Qantas looks forward to a continued strong relationship with Rolls-Royce on the basis of the settlement announced today."

Battered by surging fuel prices and a string of natural disasters including an ash plume from Chile which forced widespread flight disruptions this week, Qantas has announced job cuts, cancelled plane orders and scaled back growth plans.

Qantas has never suffered a fatal crash in the jet age.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...136494/1/.html

Qantas Group announces profit of $500 million, settlement agreement with Rolls Royce

My summary of the press conference:
    - $500 million profit for Qantas Group, despite losses of $200 million by the international business.

- Main profit centers are Jetstar and Qantas Frequent Flyer.

- $95 million settlement reached with Rolls Royce in relation to QF32 engine failure.

- Strategic renewal of international business to be announced on August 24.

- Qantas International to focus more on alliances and joint ventures. Alan Joyce refused to rule out route cuts when questioned by the media, dodged question entirely and reiterated commitment to oneworld alliance and joint ventures, citing the longstanding QF/BA JSA.

- In 5 years, Qantas International will not just be an Australian-based airline. Asia to be a key plank of international strategy - Qantas want to fly to and within Asia.

- Qantas Group has cash balance of more than $3 billion and is the only investment grade airline in the world.

- Qantas isn't being Sydney-centric and would love to fly direct from Melbourne, but Melbourne does not have the premium traffic and inbound traffic that Sydney does. Alan Joyce declared his personal preference for Melbourne over Sydney.

ASX announcements:
    Deal with Rolls Royce: http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics...idsId=01191220

Profit update: http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics...idsId=01191221
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Interesting to note the cost of the natural disasters over the last 12 months...

Upwards of $AUD206 million and still climbing with the Chilean volcano issue...

Glad to see that it's not all doom'n'gloom for the flying white rat

Comment

I find the breakdown of profits rather intriguing. Interesting to see that Qantas Frequent Flyer contributes about half of that $500mil profit. IMO neither Qantas Frequent Flyer nor the domestic business would be as viable without the international business, even if the Qantas international is "ailing" or "beleaguered" (as the media describes it). Most people I know who choose to fly with Qantas rather than Virgin domestically do so because of QF's international network and oneworld, and many collect points with QFF for the same reason. The international arm provides a competitive advantage for the QF Group as a whole, or as Alan Joyce himself admitted, QF International is an "airline of aspiration for domestic passengers and frequent flyers." Cutting back or further Jetstarisation of QF International isn't the answer, as each business unit within the Qantas Group isn't mutually exclusive of the others. Looking forward to what the strategic review of QF International brings on August 24.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 22 June 2011, 02:45 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Not to mention the tie up with Woolies/Safeway

Comment

It's also interesting to note that QF international is losing money despite Australian Government's protectionism measures on certain routes. It was theirs for the taking.

I think the inevitable is going to come with the further dilution of QF brand with JQ taking over some of its international routes. The cost structure of JQ would definitely be lower compared to QF and they try to take full advantage of that. The staff unions would be the only stumbling block in it. Just my two cents.

Comment

Got this from one of my 'rogue' mates from QF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ3yq...&feature=share

Good for a bit of a giggle

Comment

Working...
              X