• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes [effective 17 May 2011]

- Increased cabin bonuses on Qantas and Jetstar
    - Increased status bonuses for Silver and Gold Frequent Flyers
    - More Jetstar fares to earn points and status credits
    - An enhanced upgrade request and notification process
    - Introduction of Platinum One - additional benefits for Platinum Frequent Flyers earning 3600 status credits and above
    - Changed loyalty bonus

More details:
    http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...ges-30095.html
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Just got this email:

Hello KeithMEL
    At Qantas Frequent Flyer, we are committed to the continued improvement of the program and to responding to the needs of our members as we work to enhance your experience.

The following exciting changes are aimed at reflecting member feedback, with extra benefits and privileges available when you fly and bringing you new ways to earn points.

Flight benefits and changes
    Increased Cabin bonuses
    From 17 May 2011, we are increasing Cabin bonuses to give you even more points when you fly Qantas: your Cabin bonus will increase from 10% to 25% in Premium Economy, from 25% to 50% in Business and from 50% to 100% in First when you fly Qantas (with a QF flight number on your ticket).

Platinum One - Exclusive extra benefits for our most frequent flyers
    Many of our members earn more than triple the Platinum retain level of 1,200 Status credits a year, which equates to many hours in the air. When airports and our aircraft are your second home, we want to do even more to ensure your journey is as smooth as possible. We'll soon introduce extra benefits for members who earn over 3,600 Status credits within their membership year, including a dedicated team to look after your travel needs every step of the way.

An improved upgrade experience
    In late 2011 we plan to roll out a smoother, more convenient points upgrade request and notification process, including SMS confirmation of upgrade requests (for eligible Qantas flights with a QF flight number).

Changes to the Loyalty bonus
    From December 2011, you will earn a Loyalty bonus of 8,000 points for every 500 Status credits you earn within a single membership year - up to a maximum of four Loyalty bonuses per membership year. This will replace the current bonus of 5,000 points for every 450 Status credits. For details visit qantas.com/latestnews.

Changes to using points for surcharges, fees and taxes
    Due to ongoing volatility in fuel prices, from 1 July 2011, when using points for surcharges, fees and taxes on eligible Australia and New Zealand Domestic Classic Award flights, the points required will increase from 3,000 to 4,500 points per segment.

New ways to earn points
    Earn points and Status credits on new Jetstar fares
    From 17 May 2011, you can be rewarded every time you travel on an eligible Jetstar flight, with the option to add points, Status credits and other benefits to your base fare for an additional cost. Members who select to add a Plus or Max bundle to their Starter or Business fare on Jetstar will earn points and Status credits. For details visit qantas.com/jetstar

Optus to join Qantas Frequent Flyer
    Optus and Qantas have announced plans to create a loyalty alliance that will allow Qantas Frequent Flyer members to earn points across Optus Consumer and Small Business services. The planned alliance, further details of which will be released in the coming months as agreements are finalised, is set for launch later in 2011 and unites two of Australia's most recognised brands. To register your interest and to be informed of any further developments - click here

epiQure by Qantas Frequent Flyer: New wine and food community exclusive to members
    Coming soon: Enjoy the finest of wines, recipes from Neil Perry and another way to earn points. Qantas will shortly be launching epiQure by Qantas Frequent Flyer an online community for members passionate about food and wine.

For further details please visit qantas.com/latestnews. Thanks for joining us on our journey.

Kind regards,

Sid Gokani

Head of Loyalty Operations
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

And the AFF community is outraged! how dare they how dare they
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

All I need is a credit card in Singapore that credits points to Qantas and all of a sudden the Qantas/OW/JetStar combination looks a viable alternative to SQ/KF from Singapore.

I checked JetStar prices to HGK for dates I was thinking of going in June......even with the JetFlex price earning Qantas miles the fare was around S$180 cheaper than SQ.

Comment

3K is nowhere near SQ's standard service level and product offering imo, $180 difference would not be unreasonable to expect...

Comment

What I wrote on the QF FB page:

Unfortunately as a Platinum member who does not fly enough to reach the lofty heights of 2400 status credits let alone the Platinum One tier, I am feeling significantly disadvantaged relative to the positive enhancements that our Gold counterparts have received. In the last few months I have lost Anytime Lounge Access and the ability to give my partner complimentary Partner Gold status (which equates to a loss of bonus points for us both to spend). As someone who earned 2200 status credits the previous membership year, with most of it on Qantas operated flights, I do think that I contribute a not insignificant amount of revenue to Qantas. I'd concede that someone who's eligible for the new Platinum One tier is of far greater value to Qantas than someone in my circumstances. However one would think that there is enough volume of Platinum members of my profile (we're surely a bigger group than members who are eligible for the new Platinum One tier) that Qantas should worry about. Consequently I regard this latest set of changes as a slap in the face and nothing more than a desperate attempt to fend off an increasingly competitive Virgin Australia. If the Qantas FF team thinks that existing Platinum members in my position will be enticed to continue flying with Qantas beyond the minimum requalification level for Platinum status and not even be slightly tempted to explore potentially greener pastures on the Virgin side of the fence, they are seriously out of touch with their members. In fact due to the gradual erosion of standard Platinum benefits and increased benefits that Gold members enjoy, I am seriously not bothering with attempting to keep Platinum beyond June 2012; after all Gold only requires half the status credits and by maintaining Gold on both Qantas and Virgin I'll save a whole lot of dosh by adopting a BFOD policy rather than being blindly loyal to Qantas.
            (As an FYI, it's 1200 status credits to requalify for Platinum, and 600 for Gold.)

edit: Good to see that these sentiments are echoed beyond the usual forums by the wider QFF community.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 May 2011, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              3K is nowhere near SQ's standard service level and product offering imo, $180 difference would not be unreasonable to expect...

I do of course agree but when the only difference is food/no food and a (most likely faulty) AVOD on a short flight the $180 is a reasonable amount especially when in addition it would mean easier qualification and re-qualification to QFG than KFG.

Comment

I think that paying $180 more for SQ than 3K (which is still considered a budget carrier) is not unreasonable in the general population's POV, esp with SQ's number of daily flights/flexibility with timings (i.e. it's not just the food) and increased *A connectivity in this part of the world (SE Asia) as opposed to OW. I don't foresee them being in much danger, some erosion yes, but no danger.

Entirely different story for QF, however.

QF's FFP is heading the way of KF's PPS at the top-end, what with spend contributing towards points/miles you can spend. And whilst the low-end of Golds/Silvers will benefit, one would be naive to imagine (esp with Optus joining the partnership fray) that the burn rate will not increase accordingly, just mark my words...

If I was in Oz, I'd be dumping QF.

Yesterday.

Comment

And whilst the low-end of Golds/Silvers will benefit, one would be naive to imagine (esp with Optus joining the partnership fray) that the burn rate will not increase accordingly, just mark my words...
                  I seriously hope no one would actually entertain the thought of signing up to Floptus just to earn some extra FF points....

If I was in Oz, I'd be dumping QF.

Yesterday.
                  Everyone is still hanging on what Virgin would do. I fly a decent mix of domestic and international and up until recently VAust did not have a very solid international network or presented a compelling alternative to QF who until just then was the only full service Aussie carrier after AN's demise. That's rapidly changing in light of VAust's recent rebrand and moves upmarket, and they've also signed rather comprehensive alliances with Air NZ, Etihad and Delta, with 1 or more Asian partners to come onboard by the end of the year (speculation is rife about Malaysian, which already has FF linkage with VAust, and Korean Air). Not to mention a full scale relaunch of Velocity FF to come.... a real opportunity for them to go in for the kill here.

Of course I still believe that QF is one of the best carriers in the world, offering a solid onboard experience. But the game is quickly changing. At the very least I will support VAust simply because it's the competition and for once we will have genuine full service competition in the Australian airline market.
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 May 2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I think that paying $180 more for SQ than 3K (which is still considered a budget carrier) is not unreasonable in the general population's POV, esp with SQ's number of daily flights/flexibility with timings (i.e. it's not just the food) and increased *A connectivity in this part of the world (SE Asia) as opposed to OW. I don't foresee them being in much danger, some erosion yes, but no danger.

Actually I think $180 is significant, if it still comes with luggage and mileage. The general population might be saving another ~$150 to live without these two but the whole hop from KF to QF automatically also brings in CX/KA, which I have been missing for a few years.

3K serves a function on smaller hops to CGK and BKK for example but SG needs a OW type short-haul existence and if I can't get it usefully from CX then QF with these changes is actually at least an alternative and a welcomed addition. It's not a danger (yet) to SQ but its a start and for some gives us something else to consider.

Comment

Working...
                    X