Any Feedback on using Southwest? [what's the catch???]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Feedback on using Southwest? [what's the catch???]

For the past three trips to the USA, I've only been using Star Alliance carriers on domestic routes. My relatives have always advised me to take the cheaper option, Southwest, but that being an LCC, I've always been hesitant flying them for business. But is it really more practical to fly WN than the more 'expensive' legacy carriers?

I have always argued that by using Star (UA, US, CO), I get miles and seamless connections. I'm only a Star Silver member, but even then I get to occasionally use the priority security lanes, cutting long lines; and I get to board with zone 1 and not have to worry about overhead bin space. I feel these make for a less stressful flying experience.

Most times that I have booked in advance, the price of the Star carriers were about USD20 to USD50 more expensive, though I don't feel that is such a wide margin considering the benefits. However, legacies charge a USD75 to USD150 change fee, while Southwest does not.

Baggage fee is a non-issue in my case since *S and up are exempt from paying flying on Star carriers. I know that the "free two checked bags" scheme of WN is quite popular among the general public.

A cousin of mine (not an aviation nut) tells me that during delays, WN would put you up on a hotel, and honor your ticket up to a year from purchase. And again, no rebooking fee. And checked bags fly free! Really? All that? But what's the catch?

I have an upcoming trip and would be settling in the USA for three years of training. Of course, I'd be carrying precious possessions to keep me comfy during my stay. A UA/CO ticket is about USD22 more expensive than WN.

So perhaps those here who have flown Southwest can give some feedback? How do they compare with the legacy carriers? Would it be worth saving that USD20 and flying with them instead of UA?

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by fuu99; 16 April 2011, 10:58 AM.

Go with UA.

If you want to see who flies with WN, go to YouTube and search :

Airline US TV show.

Airline the UK version features the daily comings and goings of EasyJet.

Airline the US version features the daily comings and goings of Southwest Airlines.

eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQIC920MoQg

Lets just say that after seeing the US version, I decided never to step foot on Southwest ever... I wouldn't even date anyone who flies with Southwest either!

My advice... pay the extra $20 .. and go to the lounge away from the madding crowd!
    Last edited by Guy Betsy; 16 April 2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I would only fly with WN IF the timings on *A carriers were completely unacceptable OR the price difference was more than you have been seeing... (and these days WN doesn't seem cheaper all that often IME)

As a *Gold there is just too much "lost"...

No priority check-in/baggage handling/anything

No lounge!!!

They are fine.. for what they are... but for $20? No.

Comment

What if you have no frequent flyer status to sway you to choose UA? How bad is Southwest compared to UA?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
          What if you have no frequent flyer status to sway you to choose UA? How bad is Southwest compared to UA?
          WN reportedly allows free rebooking and free luggage. Which makes me wonder how they can still be a low-cost carrier by giving away these "privileges"?

I'm sticking to Star Alliance unless the price difference is outrageous...

Comment

Working...
          X