Flo does the Terminator: "I'll be back!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flo does the Terminator: "I'll be back!"

"Oh God. What am I doing here? I hate this state, I hate the sunshine, I hate the ocean, I hate Schwarzenegger!"
    - Nana Cohen / O.C. California S01E23

Hi.

Long time no see/speak/read/whatever. Been a bit busy with getting my life in order, not really traveling too much and having time for most things. Growing up sucks. You suddenly realize that you have all those responsibilities you never thought about. But well, long story short: I wanted to finish my last TR but my photos vanished.

Yes, they vanished. Imagine this: I had a HDD crash and a backup crash at the same time I had my bachelors thesis on both. I had to re-write it but the photos ... were kinda lost. This is why I got a bit grumpy and did ... other stuff. Like getting proper work, finishing up my bachelors degree, starting my MA, getting a gf, moving in with her and painting warhammer figurines. As my job limits my traveling plans, I try to make the most of those seldom occasions. Well, and this is why I am going to write a real TR again. A last one in premium classes as I've used up all my miles, lost my *G ... now a mere *S but actually, I don't really need it that much anyway.

What I missed about traveling came when I was introduced to premium classes. Flying like I used to when I was small ... in Y with people I like. And thankfully, my gf is a great travel companion although she insists on seeing places. Imagine: last time I was in SFO, I didn't even bother going to the wharf and see the Golden Gate Bridge. What a waste. So probably that's good for me.

Anyway, here's part uno. This TR will be updated as the trip starts and commences and I try to write as much as possible while trying not to in order to see more places.

1. Introduction: Flo on his last mission
    It's not exactly a secret that I fell in love on my first trip to the US. I suddenly realized that I really love LA, thanks to KeithMEL who told me that I'd rather love it in LA than in dirty SFO. I guess he was right.

I had to come back. To grab burgers at In n Out & The Counter, eat ribs at Cecil's, grabbing some froyos, driving down to the O.C., etc. again but this time with the lady as she's never been in LA.

So, spending my last miles on BMI, the trip I booked up looks like this:

Flo & Ms. Flo in C to the Californ-I-Ay ...

Date: 25-03-11
    Flight: BMI BD 426
    Route: Vienna Schwechat International (VIE) - London Heathrow (LHR)
    Aircraft: Airbus A319
    Class: Business

Date: 25-03-11
    Flight: Air New Zealand NZ 1
    Route: London Heathrow (LHR) - Los Angeles International (LAX)
    Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

Date: 03-04-11
    Flight: United Airlines 239
    Route: London Angeles International (LAX) - San Francisco International (SFO)
    Aircraft: Airbus Industries A320
    Class: Economy

Date: 06-04-11
    Flight: Lufthansa LH 459
    Route: San Francisco International (SFO) - Munich Franz Joseph Strauss (MUC)
    Aircraft: Airbus Industries A340-600

Date: 07-04-11
    Flight: Lufthansa LH 2332
    Route: Munich Franz Joseph Strauss (MUC) - Vienna Schwechat International (VIE)
    Aircraft: Embraer E95

This trip will be my chance to re-experience Air New Zealand. I was not so impressed on Y because they were kinda rude but that's going to be different this time. I always wanted to try their C product and this is my chance to do so. It will also be Ms. Flo's first time in the front cabin. She never flew C or F, so she's very excited.

In SFO we're going to try the Parc 55 Wyndham Hotel as we got it quite cheap and it's conveniently located to do stuff in SFO. So ... our plans are ....

LA:
    - Drive to the O.C. =) we're watching the series atm and we love the scenery and the mood. And of course the music
    - Drive to Santa Barbara. Katy Perry's from there hehe. Nah, but it's Ms. Flo's first name so she has to go there.
    - Do Hollywood. See stars and how they live etc.
    - Studios!!!
    - Find the star of William Shatner, my hero.
    - Watch planes fly by at the In'n'Out LAX.
    - Surfing!!!
    - UCLA of course. I wish I could study there.
    - Lots of food. Mr. Cecil's, The Counter, Diddy Riese Cookies, Hotdogs at Playa del Rey and of course try new stuff.
    - See a ghost town.
    - Watch a ball game if it's reasonably priced.
    - Go on a shopping spree at 3rd Street Blvd. in Santa Monica and Century City.

SFO:
    - See some scenery from the Monk TV show. We love it. Currently watching Season 8.
    - Visit Palo Alto and Stanford. Standard program for an IT freak like myself to go there.
    - Finally see the Golden gate bridge and Fishermen's Wharf.
    - Eat at Ziryab's and the Cheesecake Factory again.
    - Get my first Golden Gate bakery egg tart fix.

This time, I will really keep you posted as browsing through my Y RTW trip's report brought up so many good memories and this is definitely something to keep.

Keep ya posted,
    your hopefully not forgotten Austrian SQ enthusiast.
    Home is where your heart is.

Flotastic!

Originally posted by flo View Post
    A last one in premium classes as I've used up all my miles
    "love" - someone who'd you spend your last FFP miles for.

Comment

Indeed, Sir. Makes a good story
      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Wilkommen Back

Comment

"UCLA of course. I wish I could study there."

Sorry to sound bias but coming from a USC Grad... make sure to check out USC as well

Welcome back!

Comment

Here's wishing you both a safe, enjoyable and memorable trip to LA/SF, flo!
            Last edited by StarG; 5 February 2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Looks like you are planning it well and can't wait to read the TR!

Being a LA native and UCLA alum (undergrad and MBA), you
              are making a wise choice visiting the school.... haha!

Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Comment

your hopefully not forgotten Austrian SQ enthusiast.
                No chance you'd be forgotten.

Can't wait to read the TR as the trip proceeds, Flo. Have a fab time with Ms Flo.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Date: 06-04-11
                  Flight: Lufthansa LH 459
                  Route: San Francisco International (SFO) - Munich Franz Joseph Strauss (MUC)
                  Aircraft: Airbus Industries A340-600
                  Everyone knows I've sworn off UA, but we're talking about C here. If the seat is important to you, you may want to take a look at UA900 via FRA as you'll get the fully lie-flat C seats on UA's 744.

The Counter
                  Warning: That place has seriously gone downhill since the expansion of the chain.

- Visit Palo Alto and Stanford. Standard program for an IT freak like myself to go there.
                  You guys might enjoy the Tech Museum in Man Jose.

Ziryab's
                  Is that were we ended up? Could have sworn it was zander I took over there.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                  X