A rather belated trip report from 2008: SQ LHR-PER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rather belated trip report from 2008: SQ LHR-PER

In the summer of 2008 I joined this forum to ask a few questions about an upcoming flight to Perth, Australia via Singapore and promised a trip report which never came.

Now, over two years later, I have rediscovered the forum and my holiday snaps with the intent of providing you all with the trip report I had planned to assemble all those years ago. Ok, so it was only two years ago but it certainly seems longer than that.

Since it's been so long I will apologise in advance for the lack of detail.

So here we go...

I left my home town of Birmingham at about 5am, October 7th 2008, boarded the early train down to London, endured the morning rush-hour bustle of the London Underground to Heathrow and arrived outside the departure hall of Terminal 3 on a particularly dull and drizzly morning knowing that I would eventually arrive in a country where Spring was in full swing...

After checking in my bag at a deserted SQ desk (I must have arrived pretty early) my mother (who had accompanied me down to London to wave me goodbye) and I made our way upstairs to grab some coffee. After realising that Costa Coffee's "breakfast menu" would not satisfy our desperately empty stomachs we found the Three Bells cafe and chose to order a full English breakfast. Why not? I was only going to be in this country for another hour and a half.

After a long tearful goodbye - this was the first time my poor mother and I had been apart for such an extended time - I set off through security and towards the gate (can't remember which - it's been over two years, ok?).

On my way to the gate, all that was running through my mind was the excitement of boarding the brand new A380 that was waiting for me at the end of this long system of walkways. Will it be as big as it looks in photographs?

Well, initially, no it wasn't:

I have to be completely honest. I had followed the progress of this aircraft's development since its conception and I really wasn't impressed with the size at first. That was until I noticed pre-existing aircraft models taxiing behind it. The comparison was stunning - even when a Thai 747 wandered along. I thought to myself: My God, this thing is huge! The tiny little van below eventually caught my eye...

When boarding commenced, a full hour later than scheduled, I suddenly got those "butterflies in the stomach" feeling. Although I had family waiting for me in Australia, this was the first time I'd ever flown alone - and what a mighty big first trip alone!

I made my way through the jetway, camera in hand, and approached the door to find three very welcoming female cabin crew (and aren't they just lovely?) accompanied by the friendly, albeit very camp, head steward.

After this initial, although very rushed, photograph, they got together and posed for another...

It was extremely comforting to know that the people who would be looking after me during this long flight were willing to take a few seconds out to fulfil my photographic needs when there were literally hundreds of people they had to welcome on-board. I found that this totally eased me into a relaxed and worry-free approach to the whole "travelling alone" experience.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, the head steward grabbed my camera from my hands and ushered me into shot with the other cabin-crew and took this photograph of the four of us before I moved on to find my seat:

I have to say I have never encountered cabin crew as welcoming as those employed by Singapore Airlines. Just fantastic.

Despite wishing for an upper-deck seat, I had booked my flight pretty late in the day and could only get myself one downstairs, although I had managed to secure an upper-deck seat for my return flight.

I took a few snaps of the tarmac view before taxiing commenced but I didn't capture anything particularly exciting since there was an Virgin Atlantic A340 parked up right beside us blocking the view.

Take-off was a little bumpy, I must admit, but the weather wasn't great. As soon as we reached cruising altitude however it was smoother than any flight I had ever been aboard. I did sleep for quite a while and watched a few movies on SQ's impressively comprehensive video on-demand system but did manage to take a few shots out of the window when we were flying over South-East Asia including a glorious sunrise:

After disembarkation, I knew I had to get some more exterior shots of the mighty A380:

Although it looks rushed (and it was!) I managed to get this shot of the extremely friendly Singaporean couple who sat in my row during the flight, who were returning from a sightseeing trip to London. I had resisted taking too many photographs aboard the flight due to my camera's dwindling power supply.

Overall, I had an absolutely fantastic flight. I had flown to Australia before in 2004 with my father although I can hardly remember the flight at all except for the minor detail that we flew with Emirates. This flight however will always be in my memory - it was smooth, comfortable, relaxing (minimal turbulence), quiet (must be the A380 - many magnitudes less cabin noise than I was previously used to), and the cabin crew were the finest I have ever had the privilege to be accommodated by.

Arriving into Terminal 3 at Changi was a daunting experience. The sheer size of the place stunned me. Despite this, it is very well signposted and I easily found my way around. It was a shame that my flight from London had been delayed by a full hour. This left me with a mere 40 minutes to get to the gate for my connecting flight to Perth. On the way to the gate I got a few snaps of the impressive terminal which I was looking forward to exploring during my return journey (within which I had a 15 hour transit period in Changi).

Comment

As an ashamed smoker, I have to say that after an almost 13 hour flight, nothing warms your heart more than the sight of a sign such as this...

Anyway, and more importantly, the next flight which awaited me was going to finally get me to where I had eagerly wanted to get to in the first place: Perth. I boarded the 777-200, tired as a dog, and although I enjoy flying, at this point I just wanted to be in a bed (or on a sun-drenched patio sipping a beer - I didn't mind which!).

What was comforting, however, was the only thing which made me realise I was no longer in Britain. The clear, sunny skies.... during October! While the plane sat and then eventually taxied out I caught a few snaps of outgoing and incoming SQ planes. And also, another A380!

The weather was even better when I finally arrived in Perth and it was an absolute pleasure, exhausted as I was, to capture an SQ plane against pure blue skies.

When I cleared customs and immigration, I managed to pick out my aunt and uncle in the crowd and we drove back to their house, about 40km south along the coast, picking up some much-needed beers along the way.

Their house:

And the view from the back:

Overall, my experience flying with Singapore Airlines was flawless. I could only afford economy class, and to be honest, I can't imagine require any better on a long-haul flight. It was the most accommodating flight I've ever had in my life (though I know I'm young and have a lot more travelling to do in this modern age).

I hope you enjoyed this trip report although I'm sorry it's not as comprehensive as those expected to be posted in forum (the fact that I only decided to publish it after two years is foolish of me and my memory of the flight is positive even if I can't remember some minor details).

When I get round to it I'll post a trip report of the return flight to London...

Comment

Thanks for your great little TR - I'm based out of Warwick Uni myself, so I've done the LHR-SIN run a few times already, but it's always so nice to see it from fresh eyes again!

Comment

Originally posted by Leeward View Post
          I hope you enjoyed this trip report although I'm sorry it's not as comprehensive as those expected to be posted in forum (the fact that I only decided to publish it after two years is foolish of me and my memory of the flight is positive even if I can't remember some minor details).

When I get round to it I'll post a trip report of the return flight to London...
          Thanks for the short and sweet TR.

Two years is nothing, believe me... at least you posted it! Waiting to hear about the return leg...

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Always nice to read about SQ through "fresh eyes"

I love Perth too

I always feel sorry for PAXs flying LHR-SIN-Australia!!!

Such a long trip!

Comment

Thank you for the wonderful TR! It's nice to see you enjoyed the hospitality of the SQ cabin crew. They sure look very friendly and welcoming Definitely one of the great things about flying with SQ!

Congrats on your first "solo" trip! I'm only 18 yrs of age and I have never flown internationally all by myself yet. I've only flown "solo" domestically GFK-MSP-DCA roundtrip. My first solo international trip shall be taking place this coming March: GFK-MSP-AMS-CAI roundtrip, but if the civil unrest in Egypt does not settle down soon, I might be forced to cancel my trip!
              Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Originally Posted by Leeward
                Although I had family waiting for me in Australia, this was the first time I'd ever flown alone - and what a mighty big first trip alone!
                My very first flight was LHR-PER, also alone, but flew BA in Y class. Along time ago. (the days before SQ J class, not missed, but never forgotten)

Good TR and like Kyo said Two years is nothing. Something is always better than nothing when it comes to TR.

There are lots of foodies on SQTalk so if you add some food photos next time you will be onto a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeward View Post
                  Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, the head steward grabbed my camera from my hands and ushered me into shot with the other cabin-crew and took this photograph of the four of us before I moved on to find my seat:

I have to say I have never encountered cabin crew as welcoming as those employed by Singapore Airlines. Just fantastic.
                  You lucky fella, I never had the ladies grabbing me like that before....
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll have the return leg of the trip (and a brief report of an internal flight [Brisbane-Perth]) up shortly.

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
                    There are lots of foodies on SQTalk so if you add some food photos next time you will be onto a winner.
                    Don't worry, I have food shots for the return flight (I mentioned in the report that I had very low battery on my camera during the outgoing flight - due to being too excited/anxious the night before and subsequently forgetting to charge it - and so resisted taking too many photographs!).
                    Last edited by Leeward; 1 February 2011, 02:08 PM. Reason: grammar mistake

Comment

Working...
                    X