RGN to BKK Bangkok Airways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RGN to BKK Bangkok Airways

Ok this is not so much a specific trip report but rather a generic one of a route I have flown several times over the last few months.

There are now 6 flights a day between Yangon and Bangkok. 2 x TG, 2x PG and 2x AK (plus there are also flights by at least one Myanmar airline but I have never taken one of them). But personally I like PG the best, the flights tend to be fairly empty and the timings are good.

I normally take the early evening flight so can work up to about 14.30 and then jump in a taxi to the airport. At that time of day it only takes about 20 minutes to get there and normally costs about 4000 kyats (about USD4).

Yangon international terminal is relatively new and is fairly nice. There are still not a lot of international flights so it is small, easy to get aorund and normally not that busy.

On arrival at the terminal normally someone will hover around to see if you want help with your bags but they are not normally pushy. if you do want help then a tip of 1000 or 2000 kyats is appropriate. First stop in the airport is to pay the departure tax. This is USD10 and must be paid in totally pristine notes. If there are any marks or creases they will reject the notes.

Then it is through an initial security screen to check in. PG check in desks are on the very right of the row of check in desks. it always looks very busy when you are walking up with lots of luggage around the desks and people but actually these tend to me nothing to do with PG and so far I have never had more than one person in the queue before me.

PG do not seem to have computerised there check in at RGN so you get an actual card as your boarding pass with a little sticker on it identifying your seat. The luggage tag is just like the luggage tag used by hotel bell hops. It can all be a bit chaotic but generally it works well and I have never had a problem.

After check in it is upstairs to immigration. Before PG started there second daily flight there only flight used to leave a couple of hours earlier when no other flights were leaving so there would never be any queue at immigration. But now they leave at roughly the same time as Silk Air, Air India and China Airlines so there tends to be some big queues for immigration. But they do tend to move quite quickly and I do not think that I have ever queued for more than 15 minutes.

Then you are through to the small departure area. There are a couple of duty free shops, a number of shops selling touristy stuff, and a cafe.

A shot of some of the shops

The transfer area - to date I still have never seen anyone in transit

The cafe

Still not exactly one of the world's busiest airports

The plane just arrived

There are only 5 gates. Security is split into two one for gates 1 and 2 and one for gates 3, 4 and 5. Laptops can stay in the bag. Although you go through a WTMD it does not seem to be turned on. So all passengers get a brisk frisk and a wave of a hand help metal detector. Although they do one man and one women to do this they do it purely on a first come first served basis so you have a 50:50 chance of have a fairly intimate frisk by someone of the opposite sex.

The flight from RGN to BKK is only 1 hour but PG serve a full hot meal. There is no choice and it is normally either chicken curry or fish curry. They also do a drink service with a variety of soft drinks and wine. After that there is tea or coffee. All told not bad for such a short flight.

The chicken curry

Arrival at Bangkok is normally at a remote stand but I find that this can be quicker than having to walk from one of the furthers gates. the afternoon flight now arrives at 6.45pm which seems to be a relatively quiet time. On friday when I last arrived we were at the gate at 6.45 and I was at my hotel off Sukhumvit road by 7.45pm

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
    A shot of some of the shops
    Reminds me of SGN...

Still not exactly one of the world's busiest airports
    I see what you mean about not many international flights.

Do MI regularly have two flights to Changi within an hour ?

As discussed recently at our favourite hangout, I'll try and get up there for a drink early next year.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      Reminds me of SGN...

I see what you mean about not many international flights.

Do MI regularly have two flights to Changi within an hour ?

As discussed recently at our favourite hangout, I'll try and get up there for a drink early next year.
      To be fair since I took that photo more flights have started up, but even so it is no LHR.

Yes MI have two flights a day and they are packed. I was hoping to go to SIN in the new year and the flights are fully booked.

I was hoping to go to the hangout tonight but it is shut because of the elections. But hope to see you in Yangon next year

Comment

Useful information, especially the need for pristine USD note!

Myanmar is on my "To Visit" list.

I hear the hill resorts are beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
          I was hoping to go to the hangout tonight but it is shut because of the elections. But hope to see you in Yangon next year
          Tell me about it, I was there last Saturday and also got caught out. All of that end of Sukhumvit is 'dry', for two successive Saturdays, in the run up to the busiest time of the year for tourists.

They did make the effort to give those of us on Grande Deluxe benefits somewhere to go at least from 6-8pm. I saw a few of the gang last Sunday in there. You can drink in Silom and other places though, it's just Sukhumvit that needs this 'corruption prevention' measure.....

Comment

I've got to say - it looks pretty modern. To be honest, was expecting something a little more old fashioned. But there you go - I've never been to Burma, so this looks quite pleasantly surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              I've got to say - it looks pretty modern. To be honest, was expecting something a little more old fashioned. But there you go - I've never been to Burma, so this looks quite pleasantly surprising.
              Agreed Their embassy in KUL is little more than a shack with live chickens, so this is surprising

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                You have to see the domestic terminal...
                Thats more like flashback to the 50s!

But yes, RGN international is a nice, modern airport.

Though Mandalay has a HUGE terminal, build by some Italian? group. This airport is much bigger than RGN with only a few domestic flights a day. Even gates which can handle a 747!

Comment

Originally posted by Trinick View Post
                  Though Mandalay has a HUGE terminal, build by some Italian? group. This airport is much bigger than RGN with only a few domestic flights a day. Even gates which can handle a 747!
                  Surprised to hear that, I thought everyone went to Mandalay by road.

Comment

I've seen photos of Mandalay's terminal - it is insanely huge and I heard there is rarely more than 1 aircraft on the ground at a time.

Would love to go to Myanmar - for those considering it be aware the Visa on Arrival service is currently suspended.
                    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Wow, that terminal is almost pristine!
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        Surprised to hear that, I thought everyone went to Mandalay by road.
                        I did... Though by railroad
                        I took me 18 hours get from Yangon to Mandalay. According to timetable it should be around 12 to 14 hours. But it is a very interesting experience! Such a beautiful country (which you don’t see when you take a plane) and beyond all words friendly people. Just to a short hop from Mandalay to Bagan by plane (15 minutes flight, the trip by car from Mandalay to the airport is about 50 minutes), as no boats where running.

I guess they have about 10 (ATR72/42) flights a day during peak season. But they have 6 gates to handle a 747! Talk about corruption in Myanmar

Comment

Looks like a modern airport. I think I'm just gonna ask on behalf of all the other SQTalkers who are itching to ask this question : Is an airside transfer possible here in RGN?

Comment

Working...
                          X