Another short hop to KL on Firefly and Air Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another short hop to KL on Firefly and Air Asia

As I had 2 free nights of hotel stay in KL to be used, I took a quick trip up to KL during the Hari Raya Haji holidays just for the fun of it. The fare was S$70+ all in on Firefly up to Subang and just a mere RM35 all-in back on Air Asia!! As the short sector to KL has been reported countless times, I would just let my photos and videos to do most of the talking. Sadly, my videos on Air Asia apparently were not captured due to some problem with my camera.

15 November 2010
    Firefly
    FY 3510
    Singapore (SIN) - Subang (SZB)
    ATR72
    9M-FYC
    Economy Class

My ATR72, 9M-FYC just arrived from SZB.

One of the many Tigers A320 at Budget Terminal.

Some more interesting planes spotted. First up, Vietnam Airlines's A330-200.

Followed by Thai's A340-600. The plane was so long that I have difficulty capturing it!

Boarded, at the aircraft stand.

Cabin view. Total about 50+ pax out of 72.

Seat pitch was just bearable for the short flight. Ads on tray tables too!

Stuff in seat pocket. Safety card, promotional material and MH airsick bag.

Pushback!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-jUvvtWyz4

We had a long taxi to Rwy02C as there were 7 aircraft ahead of us queuing for takeoff!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0sh9V4MGeg

Sri Lankan A330-200 preparing for takeoff.

Finally we are next for takeoff after almost 20min of taxi! And there are still at least 5 planes behind us! Changi felt like JFK now!

Myanmar Airways A321 behind us to Bangkok and Yangon.

And a Qatar B777-200LR after it to Denpasar.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

We have lift off! Very short takeoff roll. 2 grounded A380s are also visible upon liftoff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRMUXRCikYQ

Banking towards KL.

Overview of Changi

Singapore-JB Causeway

Climbing to 18,000 feet with a promotional announcement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8nJ6GdvpP8

Cruising at 18,000ft. The entire flight was very smooth despite the prop plane.

Free refreshments are served! For snacks, there is a choice of peanuts or a chocolate muffin. The packet of peanuts is quite big and the muffin is moist and rich, much better than the muffin I got when I last flew with them. For drinks, there was a choice of orange or guava juice. The drinks were also chilled with ice! The 2 crew members were very friendly during the service.

After refreshment service, a run with sales of Firefly merchandises was conducted. Bought a ATR72 plastic model (recommended by the crew, who also commented that it looks better than the metal model). Also on sale were Firefly caps, tees, keychains and even frisbees!

Pilot announcement shortly before we started our descend.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOK51Kr7ZY8

We started our descent into the bad weather around KL area. How would our small firefly fare in the fearsome looking clouds?

Descending...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYyxTYzvXOs

Landing at Subang in rainy weather. I was expecting a very bumpy ride down due to the low clouds and bad weather but surprisingly the plane handled the turbulence pretty well, no worse than a 737 or A320.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A_-Pn_QE7I

Disembarkation. The crew stood in the middle of the plane to stop pax seated at the front to move backwards towards the rear exit till the rear pax has deplaned. Possibly to prevent the plane from tilting down at the back if all pax rush to the rear?

Just deplaned.

Last look at 9M-FYC on the wet Subang tarmac.

Subang Skypark Terminal. Looks so much better than Changi's Budget Terminal or KL's LCCT.

Cool feature to see the real-time path of Firefly flights!

I really enjoyed my flight with Firefly even though it was only just a very short flight. With the airline using Subang airport which is much nearer to the city and providing good service and refreshments, it is no wonder that more business travellers are gradually flocking to Firefly for their travels to KL. In fact, Firefly is adding 2 more daily flights from SIN-SZB next year (making a total of 7x daily), including a late arrival and an early departure from SIN where the crew will do a night stopover. It would definitely be much more appealing to S'pore based travellers who wants to catch an early flight up to KL. And with Firefly adding B738s to their fleet next year, we would definitely see Firefly expanding in the region.

My Travel Map

Comment

Some photos of the food that I had in KL

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks for sharing ycp81.

Always enjoy your TRs, especially the pics.

Been wanting to try Firefly's ATR72 SIN-IPH for a while now but no time.

Comment

17 November 2010
          Air Asia
          AK 709
          Kuala Lumpur (KUL) - Singapore (SIN)
          A320
          9M-AFI
          Budget Class

I had obtained my Air Asia ticket on 10 Oct for the promo price of only RM10 + RM25 taxes!! The taxi from the city to LCCT costs more than double my airfare! Also paid RM12 for a pre-booked meal and drink on the flight, just for the "thrill" of having a meal on such a short flight.

KL LCCT departure hall

Air Asia bag drop / document check counters. Most pax were encouraged to check-in online or using the self check-in machines.

I am quite sure Air Asia has much more flights than MH.

Air Asia A320 pushed back with KLIA main and satellite terminals in the background.

Air Asia X A330-300

Air Asia land!

The chaotic gate area with boarding announcements blaring every few minutes.

A few duty free shops available too.

FIDS of Air Asia's international departures. My flight was delayed for 20min due to late arrival of aircraft from Langkawi.

Gate T4

While proceeding to the aircraft, I spotted this A320 with a wheelchair symbol on its engine. Special livery for?

Under the dark clouds and drizzly weather.

My Travel Map

Comment

9M-AFI that will fly me back to SIN

Boarding in rainy weather, budget style.

Going towards my seat at 16F.

On the ramp. Another special livery A320 beside.

Flight was probably 60-70% full. Leg room just sufficient for the short hop, but the plane was definitely not cleaned!! Trash from the previous occupant (or previous-previous?) were still in the seat pocket! And chewed gum was stuck onto the safety card!!

Mags in the seat pocket. The inflight magazine was not bad, i must say. (The safety card is from the next seat)

Tookoff almost an hour late.

Climbing to 27,000 feet.

After seatbelt signs were turned off, crew first came round with immigration forms and then starting serving pre-booked meals with coffee/tea. I observed more than 10 pax who had reserved meals on this short flight.

I had pre-booked the BBQ chicken with potatoes and vegetables.

The meal was quite alright and serving was generous. I also had a tea to accompany the meal. Due to the very short time, I had to gobble everything within 5 minutes before the crew came around to pick the trash.

My friend had the Bukhara Briyani.

My Travel Map

Comment

I tried some and it was very tasty!

We only cruised at 27000ft for about 10min before starting our descent.

Indonesian island of Batam in the distance.

Flaps down.

Final approach to Rwy02L.

Landed at Changi about 20min late and taxiing to the gate.

We will be parking at Terminal 1 beside this Air Seychelles B767.

After disembarkation, I did some spotting in the terminal before clearing immigration. JAL B767-300

Lionair B737-900ER pushing back with a SQ B744 parked at the gate beside it. Apparently the gate is considered a remote stand as the gatehold room is under renovation, thus explaining the SQ plane at terminal 1.

Lets have a look around the renovated T1. Lots of greenery.

Shops and cafes.

More flowers and greenery. If you notice, the carpeting has been replaced with one of almost similar colours to the newer T3.

Overall, apart from the uncleaned seat, I find little to complain about Air Asia, especially with the ridiculous low price paid (at least Air Asia seldom cancel flights as "they have the stripes" lol). And having a meal served on the short KL sector is such a novelty (haha, I can boast that even SQ business class pax do not get a hot meal). If Air Asia continues to offer low prices frequently, I do not mind travelling with them more often and hope the new LCCT terminal that is under construction beside KLIA will be much better than the current overcrowded dump.

Guess this is the final travel for me for this year. Comments on my reports are greatly welcomed. Upcoming trips planned could be Cape Town in Jan (SQ/MH?) and probably Paris in Feb. Stay tuned till next year!

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                Thanks for sharing ycp81.

Always enjoy your TRs, especially the pics.

Been wanting to try Firefly's ATR72 SIN-IPH for a while now but no time.
                Thanks! You should try Firefly for the prop experience!

My Travel Map

Comment

I am itching to go to the firefly's website to book a flight !

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
                    I am itching to go to the firefly's website to book a flight !
                    Go ahead and book it now!

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                      Go ahead and book it now!
                      Trying to fit a date which can accommodate my other half and me

Comment

Working...
                      X