Trip report: IAD-FCO-SIN, SIN-LHR-IAD on UA and SQ economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip report: IAD-FCO-SIN, SIN-LHR-IAD on UA and SQ economy

Since I've had the pleasure of reading all of your amazingly informative trip reports, I figured I'd give it a shot. Here is the itinerary of my upcoming trip and I will try my best to have a trip report that is up to all of your guys' standards

December 18th, 2010
    IAD-FCO
    United Airlines Flight 966
    Aircraft: Boeing 767-300ER
    Engine: P&W PW4062
    Class: Economy
    Meal Service: Dinner and Breakfast
    Departing from: Washington Dulles Airport, Virginia: Terminal C or D
    Departs: 5:01 PM
    Arriving at: Rome Leonardo Da Vinci Fiumicino Airport, Italy: Terminal 5
    Arrives: December 19th, 2010 at 7:45AM
    Flight Time: 8 hours 44 minutes
    4505 miles

December 19th, 2010
    FCO-SIN
    Singapore Airlines Flight 365
    Aircraft: Boeing 777-200ER
    Engine: Rolls Royce Trent 892
    Meal Service: Lunch, Dinner
    Departing from: Rome Leonardo Da Vinci Fiumicino Airport, Italy: Terminal 3
    Departs: 11:50AM
    Arriving at: Singapore Changi Airport: Terminal 3
    Arrives: December 20th, 2010 at 6:35AM
    Flight Time: 11 hour 45 minutes
    6247 miles

December 27th, 2010
    SIN-LHR
    Singapore Airlines Flight 308
    Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
    Engine: GE90-115B
    Meal Service: Breakfast,Lunch and Snack
    Departing from: Singapore Changi International Airport: Terminal 3
    Departs: 9:05 AM
    Arriving at: London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom: Terminal 3
    Arrives: 3:05 PM
    Flight Time: 14 hours
    6757 Miles

December 27th, 2010
    LHR-IAD
    United Airlines Flight 925
    Aircraft: Boeing 777-200ER
    Engine: P&W PW4092
    Meal Service: Dinner, Snack
    Departing from:London Heathrow Airport, United Kingdom: Terminal 1
    Departs: 4:20PM
    Arriving at: Washington Dulles Airport, Virginia: Terminal C or D
    Arrives: 7:42 PM
    Flight Time: 8 hours 22 minutes
    3677 Miles

Just so you all know, I really have no idea how much detail I will remember but I will try my best to make it an informative trip report. I've always been very interested in flying and I find myself more interested in the actual flight and airports than the actual place I'm going! Anyways, I've already traveled to a lot of places in the world, so I am not new to this at all. However, most of my travel has been on United Airlines.

This trip is probably my 12th trip to Singapore and I've only used Singapore Airlines a couple of times seeing as I am based in the US. However, my experiences with Singapore Airlines have been very good so I look forward to this upcoming trip. I have never flown on a Singapore airline 772ER or 773ER, so if anyone could help me out in preparation, what are some pro's and con's of these two aircraft pertaining to Singapore Airlines. The one thing I know from the Singapore Airlines site is that all of the 773ER's are fitted with the new economy class, but other than that please help me out! I'm interested in the the IFE, meals, cabin, seats, of these aircraft. Additionally, if anyone knows anything about FCO, that would be greatly appreciated, I would love to have some authentic Italian food while I am there, as I have a 4 hour layover in between flights.

Thanks!
    Last edited by borntofly; 26 November 2010, 11:04 AM.

Look forward to it

Comment

if you are a smoker, then should let you know that FCO is completely smoke free...
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Thanks, but I am not a smoker, although I do appreciate your input. I've heard FCO is not a great airport as well. Oh well, I guess I will have 4 hours to explore an airport that I've never been to before!

Comment

I was in FCO a couple of months ago....it's really nothing special but at least the espresso is half way decent. I couldn't even rave about the lounge much. Regardless, who cares, you're in ITALY!

Ignore that the airport is about to fall apart...check out the view from the right side of the plane of the ocean when you land. I'd say the best feature of this and many airports around the globe is it's a great spot for people watching! Italians do have a way with their looks!
          blog

Comment

FCO has a train service into the city, 4 hours may get you on a train ride into the city and back, if you wish to kill time...

Comment

haf - very true, I have been to Italy before, but not in any of their airports, people watching is always fun, but we'll see how awake I am considering its a red eye from dulles!
              kapitan- hmm that seems like a good idea but I'm not so sure 4 hours is sufficient time! However, thanks for the suggestion!

Anyways.. does anyone know much about the 772 that SQ operates from FCO to SIN?

Comment

Originally posted by borntofly View Post
                Depends. What specific questions do you have beyond the information in our most informative sticky

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7473

(post #5)?
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                  if you are a smoker, then should let you know that FCO is completely smoke free...
                  Is this a recent thing? Cause I remember there were quite a few smoking rooms about 6 months ago (at least within the Schengen area).
                  God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                    Is this a recent thing? Cause I remember there were quite a few smoking rooms about 6 months ago (at least within the Schengen area).
                    Rome? All Italian airports, as far as I know, exception of Milan (in BA lounge) are non smoking, FCO, was only in non schengen area.

Comment

Depends. What specific questions do you have beyond the information in our most informative sticky

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7473

(post #5)?
                      Well I looked at that forum and pretty much all I want to know is if anyone has a picture of the interior of the type of 772 that SQ operates on that route. That would be much appreciated

Comment

looking forward to the report have a great trip and lots lots lots photos

Comment

Originally posted by haf View Post
                          I was in FCO a couple of months ago....it's really nothing special but at least the espresso is half way decent. I couldn't even rave about the lounge much. Regardless, who cares, you're in ITALY!

Ignore that the airport is about to fall apart...check out the view from the right side of the plane of the ocean when you land. I'd say the best feature of this and many airports around the globe is it's a great spot for people watching! Italians do have a way with their looks!
                          Regarding the part about being on the right side of the plane, does is matter where you are arriving from? For instance coming from asia or the US might make the sides different.. let me know, Ill repick my seats if that's the case!

Comment

Sorry about the delay in putting up this trip report. I got kind of busy with new years .. Anyways so lets get to it..

For me, this trip was a unique one. Delayed flights and being moved around the Y and J cabin highlighted a strange trip, but nonetheless, it was a good one. On the day of the flight, I still had not really packed as the flight was not scheduled to take off till 5pm. We left for the airport at around 2pm and arrived at 230pm. Checking in tok forever as we had to redistribute our baggage or else they would've charged us an additional $200 dollars. By the time we got through it was already 4pm. Not much time to explore the terminal but it is okay, Dulles terminal C/D is not much to look at. Here are a few pictures taken before boarding:

View of Washington Dulles' main terminal

Recently, Washington Dulles just completed the skytrain, a much improved way of transporting passengers from the main terminal to the gates. The following picture is where you catch the train:

We proceeded to the left side and off we were to terminal C/D. Once there there is a rather long walkway from the train station to the actual terminal. The lighting was nice..

There wasn't much to plane spot so all I have is our B767 which, if you have ever been to terminal C/D you know how hard it is to get a full picture of the aircraft. However the aircraft we flew was N661UA and was parked at gate C19

View of the wing from my seat, 36A:

Blurry LH747 headed to Frankfurt:

Neighboring UA A320

KLM A330 arriving from Copenhagen

Once on the plane the pilot announced that we'd be a bit late specifically 5:20pm instead of the scheduled 5:01pm departure. At about 4:50pm however, the pilot announced that a lugnut on the landing gear was broken and that the flight would bee delayed between 30mins to an hour. IT turned out the delay was only 15 minutes. We pushed back at 5:16pm and took off from 1R-19L at 5:30pm.

A picture of the flight route and IFE:

The flight time was listed at 8hrs and 9 minutes. Since we did not take off until 5:30 it was pretty much dark during takeoff. I have a video but my camera does not do very well in the dark.

Dinner was served at around 6:55pm, with a choice of Pasta or Beef. I chose the beef. It was beef tips with brown gravy, mashed potatoes with corn and parsley. It came with a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, a roll and a brownie. It was very okay, nothing special.

Pictures of the flight map:

I watched Takers, A Christmas Story, and Going the Distance on the flight. At around midnight Washington DC time we were already over France. The crew brought out an Apple Strudel and yogurt for a continental breakfast, which I did not eat. I slept for only 45 minutes on this flight

Comment

Before we landed there were some nice pictures of the sunrise. However, the lighting from the cabin kind of messed them up be here they are.

And at the gate next to a CX 343 bound for HKG:

We arrived at gate G1 at 7:25am for the 4 hour layover where I had a delicious prosciutto sandwich and decided to plane spot.

One last look at our B767

My first view of our SQ 772 9V-SVM

A couple of AZ aircrafts:

An AZ 767:

An AZ A332:
                              Last edited by borntofly; 20 January 2011, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X