Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Non-Pictorial Trip Report: LHR-JFK-LHR on BA's Club World (New and Old)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York City: Part 1

After staying at the W in Times Square and on Lexington Avenue on previous business trips, I approached the W Union Square with some trepidation. The last thing I needed was to be on a sidewalk teeming with tourists or a lobby full of poseurs.

I was pleasantly surprised. I was met by a very friendly doorman, who insisted “Welcome back! Nice to have you back again!” Checkin was quick, and the room they gave me on the 15th floor gave a view of Union Square (unfortunately, Union Square is mostly concrete on the north side, but I did get a view of the buildings towering over the square). It was a good way to judge the temperature: you just look at what passersby were wearing and whether they were clutching stuff to prevent them from being blown away.

The lobby bar was off to one side of the lobby, so you actually could avoid the scene there if you were so inclined – that’s a more difficult task at the Lexington W and the W Times Square. And the guests were less annoying, even to a sleep-deprived person like me. Less touristy than the crowds at the W TS, and less corporate than those at the Lex W.

The room itself was nicely sized, with the usual modern W furnishings. I personally think they should dump Bliss as their toiletries partner; the scents and the textures aren’t to my liking. But hey, comfortable room, in a hotel with a nice feel, in one of my favorite neighborhoods in New York.

I really like the Flatiron District / Park Avenue South / Gramercy Square area. Of the neighborhoods in the city, this swath is the one that I feel succeeds best in blending downtown with uptown. (I realize the two categories are a bit monolithic – “totalizing”, my college friends would’ve said – but I think they do nicely for this occasion. ) My spirits were beginning to be lifted from fatigue, as I could feel I was within walking distance of some very good but affordable restaurants and stores.

The stores would have to wait until the next day, because I arrived late in the afternoon. I was hungry, having skipped the sandwiches during afternoon tea during my flight. I called my best friend, and we decided to go for a nouvelle Indian restaurant Tamarind. Actually, there were a couple of other options that are more renowned among foodies, but they could only offer an indeterminate period of waiting, whereas Tamarind took our reservations for an early dinner. New Yorkers’ impatience and dislike of a line prevailed this time.

The restaurant has a small under-signed front, so it was a bit overshadowed by the more garish signs and decorations of a neighboring Italian restaurant. As you enter, a bar area is to the left of a pathway, and chairs and tables on the right. Walls are painted a warm yellow, and past the tables and chairs on the right is more seating space. My friend wasn’t there yet, so I cozied up to the bar and asked the bartender for a cocktail recommendation. That’s one of my tests for a bar – whether the bartender can recommend a number of options and whether he asks you questions to find the proper fit. This one did. He ended up recommending a Tanqueray rangpur G&T, made with a gin that Tanqueray had recently introduced. It was easily the smoothest G&T I’ve tasted. (Sadly, I haven’t been able to find this gin in the UK! )

I was enjoying a chat with some patrons who arrived after I did (who says people in New York aren’t friendly?), when my friend arrived. The hostess led us towards the back, which is where people with reservations sit. Food was cooked in a kitchen with glass walls, so you could see the chefs at work: a good spectacle.

Despite the number of people there, the noise never interfered with conversation. This has always been one of the key criteria my friend and I judged restaurants by. (Weird that restaurants in New York, as a rule, seem to pay for noise absorbing walls, whereas those in London seem not to. A friend of mine is an acoustical engineer – I didn’t even know such a specialty existed until I met him – and he does very good business designing the interiors of the walls in restaurants and apartments in NYC.)

The food – we chose a range of vegetarian selections – was excellent. And reasonably priced ($40 per person, including tax and tips). No drinks in that figure, as my friend doesn’t drink, and I had work to do when I got back to the hotel.

After the ups of dinner, the downs of work. Thank goodness we had a short and early dinner, because I had to send a document before my client left for the airport. Victory was achieved at 3 am, and I could finally sink into sleep.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 21 March 2007, 04:15 AM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

New York City: Part 2

My client’s flight time meant I had some free time to meet my friend again and run some errands. Yes, run some errands: it’s one of the pleasures of being back in New York. A New York visit wouldn’t be complete without brunch, however, so that was the first order of the day. I got up; did a bit of work; showered; and met my friend at a restaurant on Ninth Avenue to have brunch and strategize about my errands.

Route 66 isn’t one of the best restaurants for brunch. It’s good, but it isn’t stellar. But it offered several advantages. First, location: close to where my friend worked (yes, this was a Sunday, but hey, work needs to be done ) and close to midtown where I could launch into my errands. Second, it has killer breakfast energy smoothies -- one of the best ways to start a breakfast. I think I had one with yogurt, bananas, soy milk and berries. Last, and definitely not the least, it was one of the restaurants we regularly met up in when I lived there. You can never underestimate the nostalgia factor.

(One of the other things I like about brunching in NYC is that people tend not to bat an eyelash when you ask for an egg white omelet or scrambled egg whites. I once asked for that in London, and the waiter looked at me with a puzzled look, and finally asked, “Sir, you realize we do put egg whites in our omelets?” I had to explain that I was asking for yolks not to be put in with the whites. Sigh. But this time I could enjoy egg whites on the side of my wholegrain waffles: yummmmm.)

Then it was time for errand-running. The list I have usually consists of items that I find much more expensive in London, or not at all available. In this case, it included items like:
      • Briggs & Riley TSA-approved locks (haven’t been able to locate in London)
      • Sugarless Altoids (unavailable in London)
      • Facial moisturizer (cheaper than London)
      • workout gloves (more styles and cheaper than London)
      • NBA shirts for my brothers (unavailable in London)

The strategizing is necessary because you would want to get these using as efficient a path as possible, without backtracking and trying to avoid the tourist hordes as much as possible. Consider it analogous to designing a lowest-price, minimum-miles itinerary with specific stops. Plus, I had an additional constraint that I was to avoid – OK, as a more reasonable alternative, minimize – any unnecessary shopping. My small suitcase could not take too much extra stuff, and besides, I would be back in Singapore soon.

My way took me from Columbus Circle through midtown to the lower reaches of the Upper East Side and finally back to Union Square. I accomplished most of the shopping, and with a couple of hours to spare before my client checked into the hotel. I did have three minor setbacks. One item was out of stock. Two, I couldn’t resist buying a couple of sweaters at Bloomingdales. ($75 for a cashmere sweater! Note to self: make a visit to New York in late winter a yearly event.) And three, I just had to get a new Luminox (watch) model at the sports store. Oh well. Into our lives little defeats will enter. My suitcase, however, accommodated everything.

Soon my client arrived; we had a meeting (at a Starbucks, where we had to fight for seats with the laptop-toting students) to discuss the next day’s workshop; and my colleague and I proceeded to pull an all-nighter to prepare materials for the workshop. After a whole day of acting as workshop facilitator, it was sure a relief to crawl into bed after room service that evening. I wish I could tell you what the food was like, but sorry, it was all a blur. I did get to enjoy some sitcoms before sleep ovecame me.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 21 March 2007, 06:13 AM.

Comment

JFK and NYC -- Part 2

After finding out on Monday that a meeting on Tuesday was cancelled, I moved myself to the morning BA flight from New York. I didn’t quite trust that I could get up on time, so I chose the later flight from JFK rather than the one from Newark. I figured I could use any margin for error. I didn’t count on jetlag being quite so powerful.

So I actually had little getting up, packing and getting a cab. The nice thing about the morning flight is that if you’re like me – averse to the possibility of missing checkin or your flight, no matter how remote the possibility – you would be catching a cab early enough in the morning that it’s a breeze to get to JFK. Actually, that morning, it was more than a breeze, as the windchill drove temperatures down, and winter reasserted itself. It was a good time to leave the city. Still, as we drove over the East River towards JFK, my usual tinge of melancholy at saying farewell to NYC washed over me. Sigh.

The benefit of my choice of airports is that T7 at JFK is a lot more pleasant than what's on offer at EWR. The oneworld premium checkin area at JFK’s T7 is segregated from the general checkin area, sort of like Zone R at T1, except that it’s to the left as you walk into the terminal. This means you also get to use a usually empty security line. The SSCI machine refused to check me in, so I had to ask a staff member to help me. I asked whether I could get an Upper Deck seat, and before I knew it, she had typed something into her machine and out came my BP. Only, like other frequent flyers, I had specific seats in mind. I had to sheepishly ask whether 64A or 64K were still available.

“You should’ve told me, honey. We’re going to have to ask for help from my colleague.” Off we went to the desk, where the agent changed me to 64A. They explained that the new rules prevented seats from being assigned by just any agent. We commiserated on the consumer-unfriendliness of recent BA initiatives, after which I was given that “Have a great trip” wish that Americans say so well (at least those who are in a good mood, which have been the clear majority at BA’s checkin desks IME).

The Terraces Lounge at that hour of the day is relatively empty – quite a change from the last time I was there, when it was packed by refugees from the QF, CX and BA flights that were delayed by a snowstorm. Too bad the Molton Brown spa isn’t open for morning departures. That would’ve been a nice sendoff. I was also jonesing for one of the bacon sandwiches offered at the LHR T4 Gate 1 Lounge, but had to settle for some pastries. Really, I wish I could have had some bagels and cream cheese instead.

An hour or so of waiting and checking my BlackBerry for urgent emails, and then it was time to board. Would I get the new cabin with AVOD again?

Comment

BA 178 JFK-LHR: Old Club World

Unfortunately, no. I looked for the angular edges and found rounded ones. Instead of the hidden partition, I saw the old fanlike dividers. Oh well.

Sorry, my brain has frozen. Time to break from writing ... To be continued …

Comment

Nice review of the W U Sq!
            Unfortunately it always costs a lot more than the other Ws.

Your TR makes me miss NYC a lot and I can't wait to be back.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            A I personally think they should dump Bliss as their toiletries partner...
            Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! They will do no such thing!
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! They will do no such thing!
              Whoops, I touched the nerve of an ardent supporter. Your vote should override mine. I think you give the W chain more business than I, and I could (I guess ) deal with Bliss products if I had to .

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                Whoops, I touched the nerve of an ardent supporter. Your vote should override mine. I think you give the W chain more business than I, and I could (I guess ) deal with Bliss products if I had to .
                Hmm - not quite true. It's very hard to stay at a W unless you visit the US often. Ever since the one in SYD disappeared off the face of Planet Starwood. So your vote would actually override mine...
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

BA 178 JFK-LHR: Old Club World

[continuation]

The bonus on this flight was that I had no seatmate, so if I chose to, I could lean back and even with the fan divider folded away, I wouldn’t have had any face to stare into. But of course, I kept the fan extended.

I decided I’d be good, so for my takeoff drink, I chose orange juice. Once the flight took off, I chose a glass of water as my drink, even though the flight attendant offered champagne first, followed by the wine options. I suspect I must have looked like someone who needed a drink after a rough couple of days!

For breakfast, I chose the option other than the fry-up, which, judging from my difficulty recalling it, wasn’t that memorable. What was memorable was that again I was offered champagne to wash down my breakfast. Again, I duly refused.

But my willpower was breaking down; I was thinking whether British time would justify such an early glass of champagne; and by the time a glass of champagne was offered after tea, I ceased resisting. A glass of bubbly found itself on my drinks table.

As for the hardware, my recent experience of the New Club World showed me that BA did think carefully about where to innovate and where to let things lie. The divider is an advance, and definitely, the video system is a leap ahead. The new seat also had a very comfortable lounging position. It was surprising to me, actually, that the lounging position was that comfortable, considering a gap exists between the edge of the seat and the tilted footrest. I thought the gap would make itself felt, but in reality, I didn’t notice it.

Where BA didn’t test properly was the table. I was relieved to use the table in Old Club World, which is anchored on the unhinged end by that edge slide between a slot. This made a surface that was much more conducive to my working with my laptop.

Re: the soft touches. The service level on the return leg was more up to the high standards I expect from a good long-haul airline. The team on the outbound leg seemed less experienced, so they would do things like forget to top up your drinks or take a very long time to respond to the call button. I like the service on BA a lot when things go right. It’s a different nature of friendliness and warmth compared to those of the SQ Girls, but it's the kind of friendliness and warmth to which I respond well. Unfortunately, I think BA still lives up to its well-known reputation for inconsistent service, and so the randomness of good crews is, to my taste, still too high.

Soon, it was time to prepare for landing. We had the requisite hold above LHR; the long taxi to a stand; and the loooong wait for our luggage.

But at least I was home. Well, until the next day, when I had to fly out for work on a morning flight. I decided not to sweat the fact that the workout clothes that have been my constant companion for at least a couple of weeks, remained untouched in my suitcase.

THE END
                  Last edited by jjpb3; 22 March 2007, 03:02 PM.

Comment

A Non-Pictorial Trip Report: LHR-JFK-LHR on BA's Club World (New and Old)

You write very well. Somewhat belated but thanks for a great TR! Must explore the districts you mentioned next month when I'm there.

Comment

Thanks, 9V-SIA. Have a great time in NYC.

Comment

Working...
                      X