Chicken Rice & Duck Rice on the Golden Goose: SIN-LHR-SIN on 77W J/F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    Your Lumix seems quite good in low light. Can't see any noise and the pictures are sharp.
    The joys of having a F2 lens

Comment

Great trip report! Lots of delicious treats along the way!
      blog

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
        Thanks for another interesting trip report, 9V-SIA. You're really a staunch SQ flyer-supporter. Just out of interest, do you fly other airlines for long haul segments?
        I'm partial to nonstop or direct flights so my loyalty will be to SQ. It has the most frequencies & best schedule ex-SIN.

Have tried, in the past 3 years,...
        1. Oct 2008: TG / NH ( SIN-BKK-NRT-JFK-NRT-SIN )
        2. Jun 2009: BA ( JFK-LHR-JFK )
        3. Dec 2009: UA ( SFO-DEN-SFO )
        4. May 2009: KB (BKK-DAK-PBH-DAK-BKK ) &
        5. Jun 2009: BD ( LHR-VCE-LHR )

And a couple of NH to Hokkaido over the years

I didn't know about the Cherry Valley ducks. Ducks are indeed nicer here in the UK. A lot fatter. But I prefer chickens in SE Asia. The chickens here have too much meat and not much taste.
        Interesting. I find the chicken does taste better in SE Asia..

Your Lumix seems quite good in low light. Can't see any noise and the pictures are sharp.
        In the queue for LX5!!

Originally posted by haf View Post
        Great trip report! Lots of delicious treats along the way!
        Thanks! You should post more pics. They always inspire me
        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 2 February 2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Read this TR many many times... and always amazed every time I saw the pictures...
          And I just realized now that I haven't say anything about this magnificent pictures....
          They are simply truly awesome!!!

(btw, it was very nice to meet you at SIN, so sad that you couldn't stay longer... )

Comment

Not all nasi lemak created equal

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
            Read this TR many many times... and always amazed every time I saw the pictures...
            And I just realized now that I haven't say anything about this magnificent pictures....
            They are simply truly awesome!!!

(btw, it was very nice to meet you at SIN, so sad that you couldn't stay longer... )
            You're too kind

Next time I'll stay longer

To answer my own question, I BTC'd nasi lemak on SIN-HKG over National Day long weekend

It's different from SIN-LHR. Regional nasi lemak more authentic. More spicy. More deep fried food

So 2 considerations when you BTC:
            1. Which airport are you flying out of? ( don't expect too much ex-EWR )
            2. Which route are you flying?

Comment

very nice, 9V-SIA

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                Duck in UK is the best in the world.

Cherry Valley is the breed, I believe
                No, Cherry Valley is the name of a large company which supplies ducks to a lot of Chinese catering businesses in the UK:

http://www.cherryvalley.co.uk/

They've been recently bought by a Thai company:

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/news/...l/article.html

AIUI, according to the French, the best ducks come from Challans (Challandais ducks) and chickens from Bresse; and that's what the fancy French restaurants in the UK serve.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post

To answer my own question, I BTC'd nasi lemak on SIN-HKG over National Day long weekend

It's different from SIN-LHR. Regional nasi lemak more authentic. More spicy. More deep fried food

So 2 considerations when you BTC:
                  1. Which airport are you flying out of? ( don't expect too much ex-EWR )
                  2. Which route are you flying?
                  Nasi lemak from BTC menu always looks good, like yours. It's always presented nicely...
                  Look what my Nasi Lemak ex CGK looks like....

The presentation was not good, but the taste was indeed good...

Comment

Nasi lemak from BTC menu always looks good, like yours. It's always presented nicely...
                    Look what my Nasi Lemak ex CGK looks like....

The presentation was not good, but the taste was indeed good...
                    Didn't they unpack the Ikan Bilis (deep-fried anchovy to those playing at home) and place it on the plate prior to serving? And is that fish ball soup you got together with the meal? Never had that with my Nasi Lemak BTC before...
                    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                      Didn't they unpack the Ikan Bilis (deep-fried anchovy to those playing at home) and place it on the plate prior to serving? And is that fish ball soup you got together with the meal? Never had that with my Nasi Lemak BTC before...
                      Meals on CGK flights are pre-plated unlike on longer-haul sectors. Thus explains the less desirable presentation. Also I think that is not soup but the dessert.
                      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                        Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                        Meals on CGK flights are pre-plated unlike on longer-haul sectors. Thus explains the less desirable presentation. Also I think that is not soup but the dessert.
                        Not just the plastic bag-ed "Ikan Bilis", but also the plastic container-ed cucumber.
                        At least they could do something with the plastic bag and the plastic container. It was a J meal after all....
                        The presentation indeed less desirable, but the taste was good...

And yes, that was not soup, but some caramel pudding with canned lychee fruit on top of it....
                        Last edited by Dent@SUB; 19 August 2010, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Not just the plastic bag-ed "Ikan Bilis", but also the plastic container-ed cucumber.
                          At least they could do something with the plastic bag and the plastic container. It was a J meat after all....
                          The presentation indeed less desirable, but the taste was good...

And yes, that was not soup, but some caramel pudding with canned lychee fruit on top of it....
                          Haa.. The desert really looks like fishballs in some form of a Tom Yum base soup!
                          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                            Guess you mean not pre-plated?

I guess with the number of premium pax on CGK-SIN-CGK sectors and being a short-haul flight, the CC would not have sufficient time to pre-plate the meals... But anyway as long as it taste good!

Comment

The pics are an injustice to us without access to decent nasi lemak (until we fly SQ).
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                                No, Cherry Valley is the name of a large company which supplies ducks to a lot of Chinese catering businesses in the UK:

http://www.cherryvalley.co.uk/

They've been recently bought by a Thai company:

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/news/...l/article.html

AIUI, according to the French, the best ducks come from Challans (Challandais ducks) and chickens from Bresse; and that's what the fancy French restaurants in the UK serve.
                                Cherry Valley ducklings are also available in most UK supermarkets, I wouldn't bother myself. HWMBO won't eat duck, so I rarely cook it, but I usually get a wild mallard from the game stall in the market.

Bresse chicken is a very high quality bird and yes, I've been known to buy it, but people like Gordon Ramsay will get their chicken and duck from Goosnargh. I've eaten the chicken and it is a great roaster.

Comment

Working...
                                X