Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nan's 87th birthday extravaganza to Napier!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nan's 87th birthday extravaganza to Napier!

My trip to Napier involved a very early flight, so waking up at 6am (which is REALLY not my thing) meant me skipping breakfast!

Oh no! So not a good start to my day, especially as I had a day of flying, which always causes everything to be so tiring and stressful, due to all the moving and dealing with people at airports, on the plane, stresses of remembering everything the list sure goes on! So after catching a ride with my friend from work Cassandra to the bus stop,

I waited for roughly 15 minutes to board the bus to Auckland airports domestic terminal.
    The bus I think has gone up in price, as it was a $20.00 fare, which I’m fairly sure I didn’t have to pay last time (certainly burnt a hole in my wallet, especially with the tightened purse strings nowadays). Anyhow I felt rather silly, carrying my 2 bags, one that looked almost larger than me, but was fine once I boarded the bus, seeing as I blended in with all the other passengers, in fact one lady (I think she may have been a tourist from Germany)
    had 2 bags, both bigger than what I was checking in (and I was by no means packing lightly), but I’m not sure, perhaps she was meeting up with her husband or had an extra business class luggage allowance (fancy that!). So once the bus ride had almost finished I got asked by a nice Asian couple (forgot to ask where they where from, silly me) where the international terminal was, as their English literature was not so good, so after walking around for a few minutes with them, I managed to help direct them to the shuttle bus stop. I felt quite sorry for them though, as the bus had just left, and it was freezing!

So after showing them around I proceeded to check myself in, 1 and half hours early (a bit early I know, I just like to be safe and get things done) and was forced to wait about 20 minutes in the queue, as I am still unable to work Air New Zealand’s new fangled check in machines, call me old, but I prefer things the old-fashioned way!

Well fancy me to gossip, but I was glad I had decided to wait in the queue, as I heard some very interesting titbits of conversations, involving a lady and her soon to be fiancé and how he had proposed to her by writing her name in the bath tub with rose petals! Makes me think back to my heyday, being young, feeling carefree, before I was burdened with life’s troubles such as money, jobs, children (and now grandchildren!) etc.

So after the nice lady who was working at the Air New Zealand counter had checked me in, I realized just how hungry I felt, and decided that with 1 hour and ten minutes until my plane departed, I would have enough time to grab a bite, and fill the empty pit that seemed to be growing larger by the second in my stomach.

So I searched around the airport, but as anyone who has been to Auckland airport may know, the food prices are absolutely OUTRAGEOUS! So I eventually decided I would buy one of those McDonalds Chicken McBurger things, which I had some fries with, but I had my own bottle of water which helped me save some money from leaving my fast emptying wallet (trips sure can be expensive!)

To be continued [gosh typing wears you out!]
    Last edited by SQ_World; 28 June 2010, 06:33 PM. Reason: someone said it was rude

I admire your enthusiasm, but try paragraphs... didn't get past the first two lines... will try again later!

Comment

Nans’ Birthday Extravaganza: Part 2

Nans’ Birthday Extravaganza: Part 2

After the very filling chicken mchicken meal without the paid drink I had a bit of spare time to look around the terminal. I was very happy to see that there was free internet terminal services. I checked my facebook and saw that an old friend from secondary school had emailed me with some of her photos from her holiday to Brisbane. This was very considerate of her as I am looking at going to Brisbane for a holiday (I’ve been very attracted to those Pacific Blue and Jetstar deals, only $146). She told me about the wonderful beaches and man candy (Theresa, you naughty girl!!).

I soon had to log off as an unimpressed teenager was waiting for their turn on the free internet station (everyone needs their fair share!). I popped off to Whitcoulls, but I was a bit put off by the inflated prices of the Marian Keyes novels (my favourite author, you must give it a try sometime!). I treated myself to a Peanut Slab for the long flight down to Napier.(I wouldn’t want to get to peckish), which I ate at the seats provided by the airport, how nice and considerate, getting a bit older, I’m finding I need seats a lot more now than I did in my heyday.

I was startled by the announcement that told me that it was the final call to Napier. I rushed off to the gate for NZ8405 operated by a Q300, power walking past a whole bunch of young traveller’s clearly excited about their forthcoming journeys through this country of ours, New Zealand. I boarded the plane after carefully walking on the tarmac, I guess flights to Napier don’t herald a gate to plane boarding system. I had my hair all wooshed back as a bright red Pacific Blue plane sped past on the runway, and was pleasantly surprised that I had been given a window seat (must have been that nice lady at check-in! Such friendly staff working at airports nowadays). Now it was time for the most exciting part of the trip; The flight.

Sitting in my window seat I gazed out to see the lovely view of Auckland Airport’s domestic terminal, I’m so lucky to live in such a beautiful city, makes me feel all happy inside when I’m given the privilege to gaze on such beautiful sights. Actually at this point on the trip I was really beginning to crave some of my special craving foods, those nice biscuits with the sweet cream filling, and some lemon treat biscuits mmm yummy. Come to think of it I probably should have visited Foodtown before I went on my trip, I guess that was a peril of taking such an early morning flight, but at least it would mean I’d have more time to recover so I could celebrate Nans’ birthday. Getting settled into my seat, I was relieved at the fact that I had chosen to wear my special ECCO travelling sandals (comfortable and stylish, a bit of a splash out on my behalf, but well worth the investment).

I was very intrigued at the Asiatic girl who sat down in the row beside mine. As no one was in the aisle seat yet, I was able to observe the very interesting shoes she was sporting. They were the very cool roller skating shoes I’d seen advertised on TV3 informercials a few years back. She had a Cathay Pacific tag on the luggage she stowed, as well as a very pretty bag that said Marc on it (must be some trendy Asian designer). I was glad I saw her stowing her luggage as it reminded me to do the same, I wouldn’t want to have that Dell taking up all my leg room. As my bag was a little on the hefty side, the fine hunk of an air steward assisted me, oh boy was I feeling naughty, a bit like an episode of Sex an the City. I was New Zealand’s own Carrie Bradshaw! As we listened to the safety announcement, I paid close attention, despite being somewhat of a seasoned traveller, it’s always best to know your stuff! I looked over the safety card, because as us travellers should all know, you can never be to careful or prepared! The plane sped down the runway and I felt that familiar rush of takeoff, almost like a roller coaster!
      Stay tuned for part 3:

P.S If you'd like to catch some of my adventures please email me tcullynz@gmail.com for some pictures!

Happy Reading

Comment

Working...
      X