SIN-FUK-SIN by 772 and Review of Grand Hyatt Fukuoka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep it coming, 9V-SIA.

Silver on Black E63 with panoramic top ... me likey...

Comment

Originally posted by QSG View Post
      Very nice report of my former hometown! It is always interesting to read others opinions of Fukuoka!
      I'm the same. I like a visitor's opinion of SIN.

Did you make it to Tenjin or Daimiyo for shopping? For a lively street (shotengai) one must venture to Nishijin on the subway line, a far better choice than kawabatta dori!
      Walked to Tenjin. Shopping looks very interesting but
      • We didn't budget enough time to shop.
      • I was tired walking from Canal City
      • It was raining intermittently

Didn't get to Daimiyo or Nishijin. I'll be sure to do so on my next trip!

The Lexus and Infinity cars are not assembled in Fukuoka City, they are produced in Miyawaka-Wakamiya, and Kanda which are both closer to Kitakyushu City. Actually not many factories in Fukuoka city ! Most manfacturing is done in Kitakyushu, Kurume, Tosu etc.
      Thanks for the correction. They are assembled outside FUK but shipped from it's port.

My friend notes that the docks are filling up with cars for export again.

Docks were empty late last year.

Restaurant Chikae is an old school (venerable) power lunch and dinner establishment known equally for it's fish and meat dishes. This is a favorite place for local politico's to hold court in private dining rooms. The area around the restaurant has seen massive change(Daimiyo) !
      When I look at the pics I took of the dinner, I want to go back!

The Amao strawberry is not grown on one farm but on many in Fukuoka Prefecture. Years ago they used to specialize in the Toyonoka brand but the other prefectures and foreign farmers copied the species. The agricultural institute in Fukuoka developed the Amao to combat this! Japanese strawberries are the best I have ever tasted (and I now find hard to eat the hard,sour varieties from OZ, NZ, USA, Chile) ! Glad you got on a road trip....look ofrward to seeing your report...
      Amao strawberries are worth every penny. Interesting dilemma with Globalization.

It's a form of piracy.

Like not being able to call something champagne or cognac unless really from that region.

IMO we have to preserve diversity..

Thanks for your insights

Originally posted by StarG View Post
      Keep it coming, 9V-SIA.

Silver on Black E63 with panoramic top ... me likey...
      But avoid the optional 19" rims that my friend has if you drive in snow/ice.

No snow tyres for them. He's getting a set of 18" rims for next winter.
      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 26 March 2010, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        If you ever decide to offer guided tours, remind me to sign up, 9V-SIA. I suspect I'll be happy and well-fed.
        'sifnt Kyo+ Tours don't offer the same...

Also, I nominate Japan as the next major DO location. Ostensibly for scientific research purposes with regards to the varieties of benefits consumption of different strains of domestic Japanese beef can provide... umm.. yes.. that'll do.
        Last edited by Kyo; 23 March 2010, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post

Thanks for the correction. They are assembled outside FUK but shipped from it's port.

My friend notes that the docks are filling up with cars for export again.

Docks were empty last year.

The Nissan/Infiniti factory in Kanda-machi has it's own dedicated port at the factory. I will have to ask a friend in the business section of the newspaper I used to work at where Toyota ships from, it might be either Moji port or Hakata. If you are also interested, Honda assembles large motorcycles in Kumamoto, Daihatsu makes mini cars in Kurume! Mitsubishi has an enormous ship yard in Nagasaki, and Bridgestone produces tires, bicycles in Tosu and Kurume.

Comment

The Coast Line

If you look back at my post#13, we actually flew over Shima Peninsula on the approach into FUK.

The coast line has a rugged beauty, especially in the rain.

Along the beach, surfers were enjoying the waves despite the wintry conditions.

Husband & Wife Rock

Arguably if you wanted to party in Japan around 660 AD, the choice was easy: Fukuoka. It claims to be the oldest city in Japan.

I say arguably because while Tokyo came later, the people of Osaka/Nara claim to be the oldest settlement.

This is the nearest point in Japan to Mainland Asia ( Korea ).

Not surprisingly, it was the first area in Japan to be settled in.

It was also the site of two attempted invasions by the Mongols: in 1274 & 1281.

On both occasions, typhoons destroyed the invasion fleet and saved Japan.

The second typhoon came to be known as Kamikaze, the Divine Wind

At the end of the beach, we started climbing..

The hillside is dotted with expensive looking holiday homes which look out to the sea.

Scenery reminded me of my drive along California Highway One ( around Big Sur ) years ago...

I'll be back when the weather is nicer.

In the summer of 2011, my wife and daughter may come here to learn Japanese..
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 5 May 2010, 03:50 PM.

Comment

This is the nearest point in Japan to the China & Korea.
              Do you mean that this place in Kyushu is nearer China or Korea than (say) somewhere in Okinawa, e.g. Yonaguni which is about 100km from the ROC ? If so, that's an interesting fact.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                Do you mean that this place in Kyushu is nearer China or Korea than (say) somewhere in Okinawa, e.g. Yonaguni which is about 100km from the ROC ? If so, that's an interesting fact.
                Fukuoka is just across the ocean from Busan.

Wish I had an Air Map picture to illustrate here but Google Maps shows it's proximity nicely

In fact, my friend likes to fly to Busan for sea food!! Like flying SIN-KUL.

Not considering the minor islands of Japan. Just the 4 big ones: Kyushu, Honshu, Shikoku & Hokkaido.

Comment

The Interior

After we drove down the coast, we headed inland to visit some farms.

My friend wanted to buy some organic farm produce to bring home.

Pick Up Egg Place

The sign board says it all.

You can pick up the egg yolk in this place without it breaking.

How can you not buy to try?

Parked outside the store. For 19" rims, the ride is excellente.

We bought eggs and the strawberry cake..

Enjoyed the cake..

.. but couldn't pick up the yolk!

Don't ask who ended up eating that egg!

Pigs That Swim Place

We continued our drive through some very pretty farmland till we got to this shop selling organic products. So we went in..

Organic milk..

Organic vegetables..

.. and Kurobuta black pigs that swim.

Apparently they taste better than Kurobuta black pigs ( non swimmers )

Comment

In fact, my friend likes to fly to Busan for sea food!!
                    Is Busan known for its seafood ? I'd always thought of it as an industrial city with nothing to see/do but if I'm wrong, I have a oneway ticket to Seoul in June so...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Is Busan known for its seafood ? I'd always thought of it as an industrial city with nothing to see/do but if I'm wrong, I have a oneway ticket to Seoul in June so...
                      Time to go to Busan:

Dec to end Feb

Things to eat:

Spider crab in season. Cheap at SGD$80/kg.

Eat the meat then roe gets made into fried rice

Also Sangaetang: Korean Ginseng Chicken Porridge

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        ...I nominate Japan as the next major DO location.
                        I think we all have at one time or another. Let's wait until the Yen comes down, though.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Then... the volcano erupted. So Plan B was 4 days in Fukuoka.
                          Is this a fact or is it fiction? I can't find any news on this.

The cherry blossom prediction chart says that the best time to view sakura in Kagoshima is from April 1 to April 9. Must be the late blooming variety, considering that Kagoshima is so far south. I am tempted to go to Kyushu just for this, then rent a car for a spin around.

Thanks for updating this thread. Unfortunately you're messing up my sakura viewing plans! My original intention was to go to Nara, Kyoto, Osaka and Yoshino for sakura. Now I don't know where to go! I can't decide which is more important - food or flowers?

The poor cows - nameless and identified by only numbers.
                          Last edited by phaleesy; 24 March 2010, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                            Is this a fact or is it fiction? I can't find any news on this.
                            True! We had already booked our ryokan in Kagoshima.

One of the few with Western style bed ( which I insist on, can't do futon ).

Looks across Kagoshima Bay at the volcano. Added bonus of an in-room onsen.

When I told E63 of my plans, he said that the volcano has been erupting for a while now.

You will need to wear a mask. Your car will be coated in ash!

I guess erupting volcanoes don't make news in Japan.

If you look at Google Map>Kagoshima, you can see the devastation around the volcano!

It's on that island in the bay...

Thanks for updating this thread. Unfortunately you're messing up my sakura viewing plans! My original intention was to go to Nara, Kyoto, Osaka and Yoshino for sakura. Now I don't know where to go! I can't decide which is more important - food or flowers?
                            Food can be eaten anytime of the year. Sakura for two weeks only. Go for the sakura.

FYI E63 is in Kyoto at the moment and he says the sakura starting to bloom. Peak in 7 to 10 days.

The poor cows - nameless and identified by only numbers.
                            I'd rather be eating nameless, numbered cows than Daisy and Betsy

Comment

When I told E63 of my plans, he said that the volcano has been erupting for a while now.

You will need to wear a mask. Your car will be coated in ash!

I guess erupting volcanoes don't make news in Japan.
                              Precisely! I've just been trying to find more information on Kagoshima and I think that volcano is constantly erupting.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4601.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ect-shots.html

Would it matter so much that one should avoid the whole place totally? It's not exactly a major eruption. But I don't think I want to go to Kagoshima then end up having to wear a mask and getting my camera coated in ash. (read: dust on sensor )

Martin Rietze seems like an interesting guy! His photos are really good too. I wonder what equipment he's using.

Food can be eaten anytime of the year. Sakura for two weeks only. Go for the sakura.

FYI E63 is in Kyoto at the moment and he says the sakura starting to bloom. Peak in 7 to 10 days.
                              Thanks for your advice, 9V-SIA. I am 99% sure I'd be taking it. I've got one FFN booked at the Kyoto Hyatt. Not a big fan of Kyoto but since it's sakura time, I might just have to 'endure it'. Some FFNs for Tokyo and that's also right smack in the middle of the best sakura viewing time too, so everything's working out really good.

Kagoshima sounds really good though. I thought it would be nice to make a detour to FUK. I like the sound of Chikae. I also want to try the beef place.

So much things to do. So much to eat too. But so little time.

Would you be organising a winter DO in Japan for us? Perhaps in Hokkaido? You could go skiing. I was thinking of going over to Kushiro to see some cranes and swans. We could then meet up in Sapporo or Hakodate for some food.

Comment

I was refraining from commenting till you finished the TR but I have to say:" Keep it coming!"

Yes, we must have a SQT Japan Do and please invite E63 as well. StarG & I will probably fight for a ride

Comment

Working...
                                X