Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freddo's first: Trip to Taipei and Hong Kong on BR and CX

Intro
    Taipei. So besides knowing it has one of the world’s tallest buildings, I didn’t know much about the city. Sure, being the pig I am, I also know there’s a famous night market that sells super nice food, but that’s about it.

I’m not even sure what initially attracted me to Taiwan- perhaps it was the low air fare, the food, or the distance…but anyhow, after much searching and planning like any good traveler, I soon had my air tickets and hostel bookings in hand. Yes, you read right. Hostel. And it was my very first time traveling alone too, without any tour group or family in tow. Till now I can't believe I traveled alone, but hey, I had the time of my life!

Welcome to my very first trip report, by the way!

Planning phase, and the winner

There are quite a few flights to Taipei from Kuala Lumpur- one can fly China Airlines, MAS, Eva, or even Air Asia X direct- with the latter being the cheapest of the lot. Well, actually, at time of planning, MAS was the cheapest- with their crazy online fares which I seem to only find when I DON’T want to travel. (My friends seem to score everytime though). After much delay (and price increases)- I finally booked Eva air, realizing that I had delayed too long to book Air Asia X, even though I would have loved to try them. But I still like ringing the bell for drinks and snacks, and didn’t really wish to walk on the tarmac, so Eva it was. And they fly their A330 with AVOD in both cabins – I was sold.

With its 'garish' green colour and super retro looking logo, Eva air might not be the most eye catching airline. Indeed, not many people know of its existence- and from what little I have read, they do sound like an ‘ok’ airline to fly with. I couldn’t be more mistaken.
    Last edited by freddo; 23 December 2009, 02:24 AM.

Originally posted by freddo View Post
    was the above pix taken from New York New York ground floor shopping center...
    Last edited by LukeGT; 25 December 2009, 07:28 AM. Reason: corretting tags.

Comment

Toffees: yes it was. taken with phone, not so clear.
      Next: Flying BR coming soon.

Comment

The delay

After a quick online check-in, and confirmation in tow, I left for Kuala Lumpur International- via KLIA transit at the Putrajaya station. Oh, did I mention that the flight was delayed for an hour? Already arriving in Taipei at 9pm, it was then revised to 10pm- they were courteous enough to ring me before I left for the airport though. Back at the airport, the online check in queue was near empty- I was sniggering at the hordes of people at the normal check in desks . Was quickly checked in by a cheerful MAS agent who was supervised by a very nice Eva air supervisor. My pre-selected seat was issued, and I made my way to an empty immigration hall, short security line and soon, the Plaza Premium lounge for free, thanks to my bank!

After a quick snack, I put the massage chair to use, whilst enjoying free Wifi. Eva’s premium laurel class guests also use the same lounge. Feeling ready to face the world again, I left the lounge to queue at the gate, where there were lots of muffins, water and orange juice for passengers. Nice touch- it was barely an hour’s delay. I was feeling less greedy at that time (maybe due to the lounge) and just took a cup of orange juice.

Boarding was…ok. There were separate queues for both cabins, me being in the longer one of course. But it was fast, and soon I was greeted by a friendly stewardess who directed me to the back
        I was in the last economy class cabin, and the flight was filled to the brim, at least in economy. There were many tour groups on board but thankfully they were very ‘well behaved’- although some needed some telling off- like going to the toilet when the plane was climbing (crew still strapped in!)- I found the crew to be very kind and polite when addressing them.

Comment

So are you E.V.A. or simply Eva?

On board

As I settled into my seat, I found it very comfy- on par with MAS and SQ- the leg area was quite generous- and a nice 2-3-2 config meant easy toilet access. The aisle seats do have a PTV box beneath them, and unlike SQ/MAS which occupies half the seat, this stretches the entire seat width! However, it doesn’t ‘jut’ out so much. The leg area was still more than adequate- as you can see from my not-so SQfg legshot- which I forgot to imitate. So you only have this (SQfg, I don't think you can claim royalty for this )

After your normal announcements, where the cabin crew and flight deck used both E.V.A. airways and simply just Eva Air we took off- and crew soon jumped into action. There was a quick snack service a few moments later.

snack

No blankets were offered but available if you requested for it. Since my overhead compartment stored them, I simply helped myself. As you can see, their blanket is very unlike other airlines'. It was very comfy too!

ahem. it's not a blanket. its a quilt

Their AVOD system doesn’t have as many movies as Krisworld- but it was very fast! The interface is intuitive and there was no ‘lagging’ at all. I settled for a movie as they came about serving my meal.

Sadly, there were no menus so I didn’t know what I was eating. It was a choice of fish with noodles, or chicken with rice, came with a side salad, fruits and kuih bakar, your standard roll with butter a choice of drinks- boxed wine (er…ok), juice, water, Oolong tea…you know, the standard Y class offerings, although I yearned for a Singapore sling or at least, some pineapple juice…the meal was fine, but then again I’m hardly fussy with food (just ask any of my friends!)- I’ll take anything.

A visit to the toilet

I always take an aisle seat so I have easy access to the toilet. I noticed that it was kept clean by the crew, and Eva’s is the only toilet I know that has some ‘décor’ in Y. It may not be much, and yes, it may be plastic, but I mean, it’s the thought that counts.

The rest of the flight

Very smooth. They passed my call bell test, and brought my requests of Oolong tea with ice very quickly, always with a smile. A request for playing cards was quickly fulfilled, again with a smile. There were no blank stares and I found that the crew genuinely paid attention, even to older, package tour passengers who may not be so familiar with flying. Duty free was also a very hush hush order, no shouting like a marketplace unlike another airline I last flew with.

Eva air conclusion
          A fantastic airline, I wouldn’t hesitate to give it 5 stars! The seats are as comfy as any other economy class, the food good and a quick AVOD system. However, the service ranks high up there, dare I say with SQ? They were really friendly and professional, kind and attentive- not robotic at all! I left the plane feeling most impressed with BR! Way to go EVA!

Comment

Welcome to Taiwan

I cleared immigration fairly quickly, and followed clear signs to the express bus terminal. I guess they’re used to tourists, so I quickly got my ticket to Taipei Main Station for a surprisingly low fare of NT90. I was prepared for 100+ but I wasn’t complaining. While I speak a limited amount of Mandarin, I didn’t know what Taipei Main Station was in Mandarin, but the bus conductor, who stands beside a clear sign announcing the bus number, understood my destination and told me to wait. Whilst I was initially a little disappointed by the bus (I mean, it is a bit old!) it was nevertheless clean and comfy. All I got was a night scene of Taipei- but I was tired anyway. Made my way to the hostel, was met by hostel staff despite it being past midnight.

The hostel
            I stayed at a hostel called Taipei NTU hostel- but not those bunk bed rooms you share with strangers. This hostel is all private rooms with ensuite baths. My room was clean, quiet and new. The bath was even bigger than some hotels! It was clean and dry, and I was most impressed that they provided me with clean, white towels- (note the ‘s’) not many hostels provide towels let alone a separate face towel. He even offered me a toothbrush. The room itself is very Ikea-esque, which suits me perfectly.

Some Taipei Sights

Taipei is very easy to move around even for those who don’t speak a word of Chinese. With the metro so close to my hostel, I naturally made full use of it. Do get an ‘easy card’ which costs NT500 (NT400 for use, NT100 for card deposit) for adults- available at the counters in metro station. Makes life a whole lot easier.
            My first day, I planned to visit the National Palace Museum- but I woke up late (who has heard of a quiet hostel?!). the museum’s English tour starts at 10am, so I would have missed that by the time I arrived. So I did day 2’s sights instead. Following a loose itinerary, my first stop was the Chiang Kai Shek memorial hall.

Next stop, I passed by the East gate (Dongmen). Just a few steps away from the memorial hall grounds, but I don’t think you can get to it.

And then, nearby is the 228 Memorial Park

and then I went shopping.
            Last edited by freddo; 24 December 2009, 01:28 PM.

Comment

They are a nice airline to travel with on short haul hopes, but on long haul, they are nothing like SQ........My crew on the SFO-TPE and TPE-SFO often disappeared after the meal service and did drinks runs every few hours or so...............no footrest and lack of seat pitch also added to the discomfort. They have cheap fares no doubt, but cheap fares means a cheap experience.

Comment

That's one airline I've always wanted to try - but i guess the lack of them being part of a major alliance hurts it thanks for the report though!

Comment

Seat pitch was similar to my SQ flights, but yes, there wasn't any footrest

SQfg, air fares on Eva are sometimes very cheap to TPE, which makes up for the lack of an alliance I suppose...

Comment

More Taipei:

Taipei 101
                    I wished they included a metro station for one of the world’s tallest buildings, but alas, I had to stop at Taipei City Hall station. To their defense, Taipei 101 is less than 10 minutes walk, so I forgave them. They also have a free shuttle. Just follow the exit for Taipei 101, and head to the bus stop that says, well…Taipei 101. A free shuttle brings you there if you don’t want to walk, or don’t know where to go. Silly me, I was looking for the world’s tallest building in front of me…all this while it was behind me…so the bus does give you a good orientation of how to walk back, if you should be so inclined.

On the way, with the help of a map, I spotted the Eslite book store, that opens 24 hours. Soon, we were let off at the bus stop. Wondered about and found the observatory entrance, paid an NT400 entrance fee, and enjoyed a night view of Taipei. Some may say it’s silly to go at night, but I found it to be nice. Also, the uppermost floor which you can go was open, so I made my way up. Despite the high fencing, I was still shaking, so I quickly retreated back in. The world’s fastest elevators are super smooth and nice, made it worth the trip. They darken the elevator as it moves, and there are ‘stars’ on the ceiling. Very cool!

Walked around the shopping complex beneath it for a few moments, then decided to head back. I did spot a Japanese ‘carnival buffet’ restaurant by Grand Formosa, which looked very nice. I gawked at the people happily devouring slices of cantaloupe. I quickly spotted the sign with early bird prices and decided that the prices weren’t that far from KL- and made a mental note to google it when I got back to the hostel. A quick bus ride later (again the free shuttle, but no seat this time) I was back at the metro, and made my way to the hostel again. The area I stayed in is certainly lively with many shops and eateries around. I dumped my bags, took a quick break and went to the night market downstairs in search of supper.

so, here is what I bought:

The Next Day: National Palace Museum

Treasure after treasure
                    I forced myself to wake up earlier as I wanted to make for the 10am English tour at the National Palace Museum. The collection here is vast- so vast that at any one time only a fraction of the collection is displayed.

Arriving at the Shilin metro station, I followed the clearly marked exits and found myself by the bus stand. Waiting beside the R30 (red 30) bus sign, I spotted many other busses- and there came another one advertising the National Palace Museum in English. I saw other guidebook totting tourists boarding the bus as well and took my chance. I believe this bus was also stated as one of the others which you can take for the museum. No need to tap the easycard when boarding.

No photos are allowed in the museum...unfortunately. But it was a wonderful visit. I spent a good part of the day there, before heading towards Taipei 101 again for...

Wasabi Buffet

Yes, I headed back to the Wasabi buffett. Guess I'm such a pig after all. the early bird prices were very cheap considering what you pay after 7:

Remember, my last meal was a bun in the morning. So I had plate after plate for dinner:

and ended the meal (sort off) with this:

SIX SCOOPS of MOVENPICK ice cream! you only see 4 here...the other 2 were in me tummy!
                    The pictures above are just some of the stuff I took. Yes, I'm such a pig.

It was so sinful I decided to take the walk back to the metro. But of course, on the way, I got diverted to the New York New York shopping mall and a string of Shinkong Mitsukoshi stores, where I bought more stuff. They have a Daiso (100 Yen shop, or 5 Ringgit Shop) Went back and packed hastily for my AM departure to Hong Kong.

Next up, CX J.
                    Last edited by freddo; 24 December 2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

The food offered by EVA looks good I would say even better than CX which I use to take regularly bet PEN & TPE

Comment

Toffees: yes, the food was quite good for an airline. perhaps i was full from the lounge but the amount seemed more than normal. it was some kind off Chicken mixed with spring onion? pity there wasn't a menu!

Comment

WELCOME to TAIWAN

Comment

Nice report.... keep it up!

Comment

I approve of all the food pictures.

Well done indeed on TPE!

Comment

Working...
                              X