Autumn and Winter in Japan - A pictorial chronicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn and Winter in Japan - A pictorial chronicle

Following on from 9V-SIA's wonderful report of his trip here, I thought I should share some pictorial representations of this land that I'm growing to love. For all its idiosyncrancies and oddities, Japan is one of the most beautiful places be in at this time of the year.

This is not a trip report in its common sense, as I live in Tokyo. But I do hope that these pictures share with everyone on this board the beauty of Japan at this time of the year.

Photographs from

Tokyo, Kyoto, Arashiyama, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Nikko, Chuzenji, kawaguchi-ko, Kamakura (continually updated), Osaka, Himeji, Nara, Nagoya, Kyoto (2nd round), Izu Hanto,

Upcoming: Okinawa, Takayama, Shirakawa-go, Kanazawa, Nagasaki, Gunkanjima
    Last edited by kelvgoh; 16 May 2010, 01:35 AM.

Koyou - Fall Foliage

Everyone knows about Hanami - the viewing of cherry blossoms in spring as they blossom. But in my mind, the vibrant colours of koyo (fall foliage) in Japan is as beautiful as you can get anywhere in the world.

Just outside my apartment at Arisugawa Park in Hiroo, Tokyo

In Miyajima

In Kyoto

Last edited by kelvgoh; 20 December 2009, 10:30 AM.

Comment

The lesser seen Kyoto

Kyoto is easily accessibly from Tokyo by Shinkansen, from either Tokyo or Shinagawa stations. Kyoto itself is a wonderful city to visit, but if you have the time, do take a trip out to the outlying towns. One such town is Arashiyama, famous for being the end point of the Hozu-gawa river. One of the highlights in this part of town would be the river cruise through the valleys in a rowboat - simply breathtaking. To get there, take a local train up to Kameoka station and approach the tourist information desk for information on how to get to the pier.

On the boat itself

Along the way

At the endpoint in Arashiyama

Koyo in the gardens of Tenryo-ji, apparently a UNESCO world heritage site

Arashiyama's famous Bamboo Grove

Last edited by kelvgoh; 20 December 2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

The lesser seen Kyoto (2)

And now to central Kyoto - you may have seen these places before though. But given the number of temples, shrines and castles in Kyoto, I thought I'd post a selection

Toriis and their ornaments which so symbolise Japan

Nishi Hongan-ji - a Japanese shinto buddhist temple

The gardens of Nijo-jo, an Edo-era castle famous for its Nightengale floors

Kinkaku-ji - Kyoto's famous Golden Pavillion

The bronze bell outside Kinkaku-ji

The pavillion itself. Sadly, this is a reconstruction. The original pavillion was burnt down by an obsessed monk.

Ginkaku-ji - the Silver Pavillion

Ginkaku-ji with Kyoto in the background. Note though, Ginkaku-ji is undergoing restoration work till Autumn 2010

Intricate detailing on the roof eaves of Kodai-ji

The mystery of Fushimi-Inari Taisha's Toriis, on the outskirts of Kyoyo

And the nightlamps which are an essential part of any Japanese shrine

Last edited by kelvgoh; 20 December 2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Miyajima - quite possibly the most beautiful place I've been

Miyajima is an island off the coast of Hiroshima, in Japan's inland sea. Its accessible by local trains from Hiroshima or the local city trams, and then transfer to a ferry at Miyajima-guchi station.

Miyajima is famous for its floating torii

As well as Itsukushima-jinja, a shrine built on stilts

What is often understated though, is the natural beauty of the town...

and its natural landscape...

You can then take the ropeway (read: cable car) up Mount Misen, and join the emo monkeys in contemplating the view.

"What view?" you may ask...

Maybe of the inland sea?

At the summit of Mount Misen, there's an temple housing an eternal fire, said to have been burning since the buddhist sait Kobo Daishi (born circa 700ad) climed Mount Misen to establish this temple.

Wishing candles lit from the eternal fire

Many couples make this pilgramage to ask for blessings in their relationship.

Warning: plenty of free roaming deer on the island. Don't carry food around

And finally, down the hills and on the ferry across the inland sea, back to Hiroshima

Last edited by kelvgoh; 20 December 2009, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Tokyo - as you didn't know it (I hope)

There are many sights in Tokyo, but photography enthusiasts should find some time to pop over to Odaiba near sunset. Odaiba is a man-made island with much to offer in the way of entertainment. Lots of modern shopping complexes, amusement parks, and even an onsen.

To get there, take the JR Yamanote line, the Tokyo Metro Ginza line or the Toei Asakusa line to Shimbashi station, or the Toei Oedo line to Shiodome station, and transfer to the Yurikamome (Monorail).

The Rainbow Bridge connects Odaiba with mainland Tokyo

Sunset throws on it an orangey tinge, which I find beautiful

Japan is the "land of the rising sun", but it does pretty good sunsets too

Odaiba at dusk though, is where the real idiosyncracies of Japan start.

Now tell me, where am I when I took this photo?

Odaiba, Tokyo, Japan

And another one by night...

Last edited by kelvgoh; 20 December 2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Great scenes from a beautiful land!

Comment

Great view + great photographer = Magnificent

Comment

Very very nice piccies indeed! Great stuff

Comment

Simply stunning pictures

Well done!

Comment

WOW! Thanks kelvgoh for sharing

Comment

Thanks for sharing your impressions of Japan, kelvgoh. Very nice.

Those monkeys are vicious!

Was in Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Miyajima, Hiroshima) in October two years ago. But everything was still green! So which months should we be looking at to get these vibrant red and gold colours?

Would be in Japan again in early April 10. Would have to check the Sakura map and be on the move constantly.

Comment

Thanks all for your kind words, I hope you're finding the pictures interesting. I'll put up more once i've cleared my memory card again. haha.

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                          Was in Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Miyajima, Hiroshima) in October two years ago. But everything was still green! So which months should we be looking at to get these vibrant red and gold colours?

Would be in Japan again in early April 10. Would have to check the Sakura map and be on the move constantly.
                          Autumn usually starts in October (as one would expect), but the fall colours are at their most vibrant mid-late November. My koyo pictures were taken late November, early December.

Sakura chasing is a favourite of Japanese, both photogs and normal people alike. Prepare to fight and squeeze, or otherwise, get a really tall tripod. haha.

Comment

Great pictures!

Comment

I loved this TR, I'm sure you have many, many more photos which please do post them!

(Although it'll take forever to upload, they are very much apprecaited by all!)

Comment

Working...
                              X