Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Finally Finished!] Kyo Does The Land Of The Midnight Sun (aka Kyo Visits Norway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the further updates. I agree that FRA is a bit of a chaotic airport to deal with, even during transit within the same terminal. Food looks delicious there!!

Looking forward to the queen of the skies post, but no rush!

Comment

• Epilogue - 60 Minutes To Finish FRA and a visit to the FCT

The end of the Epilogue mini-series neareth!

I had been tasked with another local food item, but this one goes more like a combination - it's better to have one with the other: a 'Schweinshaxe' (aka Pork Knuckle) and the beverage of choice when in Deutschland, 'bier'

The scene of this crime would be in the restaurant with the rectangular yellow umbrellas in the Town Square photo above, the Römer-Bembel (also famous for their Apfelwein (Apple Wine)...

Walking in, with time rapidly running short, I wasted no time in grabbing a menu...

Römer-Bembel Menu - This place charges EUR 12.50 for their 'Hauptgeriche', or main course

And we began by starting of with a little tipple...

A 'little' (okay, maybe not) drop of Kulmbacher Bier to jumpstart festivities - I'm not that much of a 'bier' fan, but when in Germany...

And soon we were well underway...

Put down that pint! - NO kidding

The Piece De Resistance! - I don't even like eating pig! But I had a bet going, see...

Sacrificing For This TR - For the greater good

Slightly giddy from the pork fest that just took place, I needed fresh air. Fast.

I walked around the corner and saw another famous spire, belonging to the...

Saint Bartholomeus's Cathedral aka Frankfurt Cathedral - It rises above Frankfurt, next to the Main River

The architecture was stunning enough to spend a few minutes capturing the intricate details in the twilight glow...

Saint Bartholomeu Cathedral Clock-Spire - Slightly similar to the Sagrada Familia in BCN that I'd visit 5 months later

Brisk-walking now as my meal had taken the best part of 45 minutes, I found myself speeding past the Paulaner Brewery/Beer Garden as I drew close to my final half an hour in this city...

Paulaner Frankfurt - We have a branch in Singapore, so no big loss, I figured... this wasn't the original MUC outlet anyway!

Around two bends, and I suddenly emerged (this entire route, was unplanned, by the way) at the Main River - the perfect ending to my time in Europe...

Round The Bend - The Main River

The Main River in September - The ducks were enjoying it!

Goodbye Main River - Farewell Frankfurt

It was the perfect ending to my time in this continent so far away. Words can't describe this feeling of serendipity I get whenever I depart from a place far abroad - and yes, despite travelling frequently, I still get this feeling almost everywhere I go... a tinge of sadness, of a lack of time and a desire to have known a city elsewhere and its people better.

Well.

At least I had a world-famous facility inspection coming up to ease the pain... a short taxi ride later, and I was there smack on the dot, ready to check in for my final two hours in Europe...

It's the moment you've all been waiting for (in this Epilogue) - and here's the teaser...

Lufthansa's Frankfurt First Class Terminal - What shenanigans await within?!

(sumitsan, I just saw your comment, THANKS - but it's really late here in Singapore at this moment and the final-final episode unfortunately has to wait just that little bit more until I next update this TR, hopefully tomorrow/soon, but we are REALLY LITERALLY THERE at the terminal now, so how much longer can it be! Your LH 744 ride beckons! Hopefully it doesn't disappoint - it's no SQ!)

Comment

• No picture of the plate with only the pig knuckle bones left ?

Comment

• I normally don't leave too much proof of my swine-related adventures, but just this once... will this do, Sir?

That's the best I could manage as I was retching from the taste, to be honest. There were dire consequences later (as will soon be revealed)!

Comment

• Kyo: Did you manage to even eat at the FCT after the pork knuckle.. that looked like a handful..

Comment

• calvinoeh: That bit will be in the next post... and that is indeed quite a lot of pig to put away, don't you think? Tunggu sekejap lagi, ye?!

Comment

• I'm a pig and I like eating pig but that is just too much!

The next time you're in London, Kyo, we can maybe consider going for something a lot more manageable - a pig's trotter (deboned and stuffed with sweetbreads and morels) never forgotten and now available again in London after an absence of many years. From a newspaper review:

Koffmann's hymn to gastronomic richness, the gob-smacking (literally) pied de cochon aux morilles, one of the most imitated dishes in the modern culinary lexicon, but never bettered.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post

The photos just keep getting better and better!

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Go ahead, no need to pay royalties unlike some patented SQflyergirl legshots (I heard she will hunt down whoever doesn't pay her! Beware!)
                  If I ever do take those photos, I'll still pay royalties to you!

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  That is possibly the largest mug I have ever seen...
                  Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

• Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post

That is possibly the largest mug I have ever seen...

Do you mean the beer glass or the face??

Comment

• Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                      Do you mean the beer glass or the face??
                      The beer glass of course!
                      Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

• jhm: Too much swine! Cannot lah!

Aulia Harun: Thanks for the comments, if you want, I can e-mail you the high-res pictures for free (yes, free! I believe beautiful photos should be enjoyed in all their glory, when possible)

And... the mug may be big, but... I had to capture an 'allow-me-to-demonstrate' pose...

Ouch!! - Wan1dap!

Last update before we reach the end... all photos have now been finally uploaded into Photobucket. I realised that some of the 744 photos I thought I took were actually a video. I've had to screen-capture the video (painstakingly) some of the better ones to use in its place, which was not easy considering it was a night departure hence plenty of darkness all around.

We are really almost there and there's not many photos left, I've checked!

Hope to complete the Epilogue latest by tomorrow.

Comment

jhm: Too much swine! Cannot lah!
                          No worries - we can pig out on something else!

Comment

Aulia Harun: Thanks for the comments, if you want, I can e-mail you the high-res pictures for free (yes, free! I believe beautiful photos should be enjoyed in all their glory, when possible)
                            You're welcome. They are beautiful photos indeed. I would love to accept your offer and I shall provide you with my email in a PM. First thing I got to do once I get them is to inscribe "Kyo" somewhere on the photo, maybe bottom right corner, so as to not mix them up with my photography.

I rarely take panoramic photographs, but it seems yet again that Kyo's work has inspired me to jump into a whole new frontier in photography.

Comment

• Biblical TR on all points.

You know I'm ashamed to stay I hadn't been in this thread FOR full year based on the timestamp of my last post in here. Wow I have missed much! I owed you some time Kyo to read the whole thing. Thoroughly enjoyed it and still feeling full from TPR extravaganza commencing the trip.

Thanks for your research and dedication!
                              blog

Comment

• That is a HUGE bier mug. I doubt I can finish that.

Comment

Working...
                                X