SIN-MXP-BCN by 77W and a revieW of W Barcelona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rambla De Catalunya

One of my favorite places to eat since it is a block west of our hotel ( Omm & MO ).

Nice restaurants & quirky shops abound

MO concierge recommended two tapas bars on this street.

I suspect they are owned by the same group since the menu was identical!

Edited sample of the eats available. I like cook-to-order though there are pre-prepared tapas too

Catalana Cervesceria

Simple but good mini hot dog

This egg & chips with "special mayo" was my favorite tapas dish in BCN!!!

Had it twice. Never got a pic of it before eating. Must remember to get a pic in May when I'm next in BCN

Cuidad Condal Cervesceria

Interesting wall of Coca Cola bottles

Sardines

Squid

Fried chilli

Fried mushrooms

Both serve good food but the decor is much nicer in Catalana, with its display of tapas in the front
    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 7 April 2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Gracia

Passeig De Gracia comes to an abrupt end at Placa De Joan Carles I.

Most tourists don't cross Avinguda Diagonal into Gracia. Big mistake.

This is the less touristy part of Barcelona and I enjoy strolling through here.

North of Gracia is Parc Guell, but it's uphill all the way there from Placa De Catalunya. Take a taxi!

Behind the yellow van running along Avinguda Diagonal is Jardins De Salvador Espriu. Note the obelisk behind the van

At the northern end of the "jardin" is Hotel Casa Fuster, a gorgeous piece of art deco architecture. One day...

The road passes to the left of the hotel and continues north as Carrer Gran De Gracia

Looking south from the fountain in the "jardin", obelisk is clearer..

Side streets along Carrer Gran De Gracia beg to be explored..

You stumble into beautiful squares..

.. buildings. A less famous Gaudi

.. and my churros and hot chocolate fix nearer my hotel

As I was enjoying my churros, this crying girl was silenced by free churros from the owner! Try your luck!

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 2 April 2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• Barri Gotic

Placa De Sant Jaume

Barri Gotic is the most tourist dense part of Barcelona so be careful of petty crime.

In the midst of narrow lanes is Placa De Sant Jaume, where these 2 imposing buildings face each other across the sunny square..

..Casa de la Ciutat..

.. and Palau de la Generalitat

Run away fast CarbonMan, because you're done for if your wife spots Custo Barcelona off the square,

westwards along Carrer De Ferran Jaume. And across the road from Custo Barcelona is Desigual.

If indeed you become trapped, relax with some Basque style tapas at Orio next door ...

... while your wife/daughters make Visa & Mastercard very happy!

Good selection of tapas

Basque style: everything is served on top of baguette

Catedral
        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 7 April 2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Born Ribera

Nicer than Barri Gotic because less tourists except for the route to Picasso Museum. It pays to go early..

Carrer de la Princesa

Museum entrance

Not really a Picasso fan but the architecture is nice

The visit to the Picasso Museum was not a total loss. Continuing south from the museum leads to Placa de les Olles and Cal Pep

Very good freshly made tapas here too. Be prepared to queue if you don't go early

The chef himself. I like restaurants where you meet the man. Never met Thomas Keller or Heston Blumenthal though I've dined in their restaurants.....

At the northern end of Ribera is Palau de la Musica Catalana

New wing tagged on to the old wing along its side

The acoustics do not do justice to the stunning interior

Also seem to have more artisans to me
          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 6 April 2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Barceloneta

A nice view of Barcelona if you sit by the window on the right hand side of the plane.

That triangular area of buildings by the beach, between W and "twin towers" of Port Olimpic, is Barceloneta.

The parts that face Port Vell to the west and the beach to the south cater to tourists.

But inside, the locals still live..

Port Olimpic end

The part of Barceloneta by the beach is lined with restaurants

It seems there is constant turnover of restaurants. New restaurants or ...

.. established restaurants in new locations. Can Majo has a beachfront location now. Ate here on my first trip to BCN. A bit ex..

There are other sidewalk cafes that serve cheap & good food along the beach

After dinner, a walk along the beach..

Quite crowded in the Summer

Famous installation artwork along the beach

... one of my favourite things "To Do" in Barcelona

Next, the flight(s) home...
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 9 April 2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• post deleted
                Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 05:02 AM.

Comment

• The Flight Home In July

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
                  Love this report - not been to the Basque country for years so it's good to see the beautiful Gaudi archicture again.
                  Thanks.

Basque region of Spain is one area I will go to one day.

San Sebastian has a high concentration of Michelin* restaurants.

In the meantime, Orio provides a nice change from Catalan ( BCN ) tapas, which can be a bit oily ( lots of fried stuff )

My ride home in July... 9V-SWE

Where's she going?

What about me?!

Lesson learnt. Forget about getting your VAT back.

Oh well... might as well make the most of it.

Taxiing to the runway..

The final glimpse of 9V-SWE as she heads for home

Comment

• The Flight Home In March

Luckily I took pics of the departure in March

It's WaG again..

The view of push back from 11A

We're behind this KL 737 for take off

The KL 737 takes off

Final glimpse of BCN ( in March )

A snack is served between BCN-MXP

It's lovely to gaze out the window over this part of the Mediterranean

On the map...

View out the window..

Air China A343 waiting for us to land

Taxiing to the gate. MXP in the Spring

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 7 April 2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• MXP-SIN in March

Making myself at home for the next leg of the flight

The Swiveling Table Demonstration

Satay! None on my flight in 2009. I'm glad the 3 cups are gone from the plate

Previously posted the Menu BCN-MXP-SIN

So how did I get home in July???

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                        So how did I get home in July???
                        I'm guessing that the flight that you missed was SQ67 cos you mentioned that the a/c was heading "home" rather than "to MXP". So for a PPS travelling in F, they would have rerouted you via LHR/FRA or placed on you SQ377 the next morning?

Either way, I'm sure you now know the Miro Lounge really well.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                          VAT Refund

Important to remember that you can check in, then go get your VAT back.

2 stages:

The VAT Back forms from the retailer.

1. Get forms/receipts stamped ( minimum 90 EURO on a receipt ) at Departure Hall.

Far left hand corner of the hall as you walk in through the front doors.

2. With the forms/receipts duly stamped, proceed to get your money back at the bank in the Arrival Hall.
                          Can I please check if this is still the case? i.e. customs stamps are obtained at a different counter than the cash refund?

Do you happen to know if the officer will stamp on receipts that are NOT generated by a tax refund company? I need to do is obtain a stamp on the (German) shop's own refund document. I will then have to turn in the form at the shop the next time I transit at FRA to obtain my cash refund.

Comment

• Originally posted by eriond View Post
                            Can I please check if this is still the case? i.e. customs stamps are obtained at a different counter than the cash refund?

Do you happen to know if the officer will stamp on receipts that are NOT generated by a tax refund company? I need to do is obtain a stamp on the (German) shop's own refund document. I will then have to turn in the form at the shop the next time I transit at FRA to obtain my cash refund.
                            Yeah, you need to get the tax refund forms stamped by customs when leaving the EU. Then collect the refund either at the designated refund outlet (for tax refund agencies, the blue forms) or the store where you bought (green forms).
                            Green forms are great if you plan to return to the shop where you bought as you will get the full amount of VAT back. The tax refund agencies will accept them as well, but will charge their standard fee.
                            /Desert Traveller

Comment

• Originally posted by Desert Traveller View Post
                              Yeah, you need to get the tax refund forms stamped by customs when leaving the EU. Then collect the refund either at the designated refund outlet (for tax refund agencies, the blue forms) or the store where you bought (green forms).
                              Green forms are great if you plan to return to the shop where you bought as you will get the full amount of VAT back. The tax refund agencies will accept them as well, but will charge their standard fee.
                              Thanks for the quick info!

Yeah I was referring to the green forms, except that the shop in FRA prints it on plain white A5 paper. Since the language on the form is in German, customs at FRAport never had an issue with it (apart from asking where this shop was), but I foresee there might be some problems with the customs at BCN.

Comment

• Originally posted by eriond View Post
                                Thanks for the quick info!

Yeah I was referring to the green forms, except that the shop in FRA prints it on plain white A5 paper. Since the language on the form is in German, customs at FRAport never had an issue with it (apart from asking where this shop was), but I foresee there might be some problems with the customs at BCN.
                                Haven't had problems with the green forms in BHX. Just take the customs officials through it if they're not sure. Should be no problem, in the end it's just a stamp confirming export.
                                /Desert Traveller

Comment

Working...
                                X